2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Well after spending some time reading through this forum and watching vids on youtube I think I am ready to start my next generation POV volunteer response project. The vehicle will be a black 2011 Dodge 2500 4x4 crew cab with bed cover and a Ranch Hand Brush Guard installed.

From 1993 - 2002 I both worked as a firefighter/paramedic but volunteered in the county where I lived which was all vol EMS and FD. I have had several vehicles and response packages in the past with the most recent being a 2001 Chevy 1500 Z71 with (8) HAW strobes and Whelen DBL Dashmisers in the cab and rear of camper cover. Of course all the lights were synch'd. Now with everything changing from centralized power supplies to them being contained with each component I have some learning to do on synching - this is the reason I chose all Feniex, ease of synching.

Tips, recommendations, and constructive criticism appreciated. -- Crip

For lighting I have decided on the following (all lights to be synch'd at appropriate levels):

FRONT:

Feniex Apollo-2 (R/R) later changed out for Pegasus Split (R/R with Two Flashing Takedowns)

GRILLGUARD:

Front - Cobra T6 (4) in pairs mounted to front of top horizontal cross tube

Side - Cobra T6 (1 ea side) mounted horizontal

DRIVING LIGHTS:

Corner Light: Cannon (Clear)

SIDE:

Cobra T6 (R/R) on Cobra 2X L bracket in back seat window

Considering a T6 on the leading edge of each mirrors

REAR:

Cannon (Red) in Tail Lights

Cannon (Amber) Backup Lights

Cobra 200 (2) **Was considering going back to HAWs in the corner and tail lights as I havent been too impressed with the LAWs I have seen in OEM vehicle housings.

SOUND:

(1) Whelen SA314 Speaker mounted to bottom of top horizontal cross member of brush guard (will add second with addition of 2nd Storm)

(1) Storm Siren (will add a second with addition of 4200)

SWITCHING:

Initially using switch panel from Storm and changing to 4200 at earliest convenience

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I am not a fan of 4 smaller grille lights. I would go with two larger heads. Just more effective in my opinion. I have a Pegasus in my Explorer. It is all red with flashing takedowns. I rewired it and ran it to an external flasher. Not too hard to do.

TX_Mark

Jun 17, 2013
San Antonio,TX
Eric1249 said:
I am not a fan of 4 smaller grille lights. I would go with two larger heads. Just more effective in my opinion. I have a Pegasus in my Explorer. It is all red with flashing takedowns. I rewired it and ran it to an external flasher. Not too hard to do.
He can also purchase a DUMB bar Pegasus, it doesn't have a flasher, if that's what he wanted to do.

My thoughts

Unless you have a Whelen speaker go with the Feniex triton speakers. They are almost identical to the Whelen 315 speaker. Unless your in love with the square speaker design

I agree with the Apollo vs Pegasus mentioned above. For about $150 do it the first time.

I also agree with going with one cobra 600 vs two cobra 200's. It would be the same price and give you arrow capability. If you want to spend about 100 more and get the 800 I think you will be happy.

I like standard tlf and hlf. Not to say the cannons don't look nice I just don't know how cost effective they are especially when doing 4 in the rear vs tlf

Good luck.

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
Sounds like it will be a nice setup. Cannons will be just fine in the tail lights. Would also consider a Cobra 600 or 800 over the two 200s.

If you want to, give FEVER (View Profile: FEVER - eLightbars.org) a shout, Nic is a good guy and his prices on the Feniex equipment are pretty much unbeatable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post guys; it is appreciated.

To address the specific points:

Eric1249 said:

I chose the T6s because they will flush mount into the grill guard instead. I will look into a larger linear light for the front that will mount against the footprint of my grill guard.

Can a Pegasus not be ordered with flashing (wig-wag) Take-Downs?

AutoDetailer said:
My thoughts

Unless you have a Whelen speaker go with the Feniex triton speakers. They are almost identical to the Whelen 315 speaker. Unless your in love with the square speaker design

I agree with the Apollo vs Pegasus mentioned above. For about $150 do it the first time.

I also agree with going with one cobra 600 vs two cobra 200's. It would be the same price and give you arrow capability. If you want to spend about 100 more and get the 800 I think you will be happy.

I like standard tlf and hlf. Not to say the cannons don't look nice I just don't know how cost effective they are especially when doing 4 in the rear vs tlf

Good luck.

I have the two Whelen speakers left over from when they were mounted on my last PO Response Vehicle. No need to spend the $200.00 for new speakers if I dont need to, however in the future I may upgrade for the extra 100 watts.

Where are you coming up with a $150.00 difference between an Apollo-2 and the Pegasus? The pricing I got was $179.00 vs $495.00 respectively - this is a $318.00 difference.

I like the idea of the 600 in the back glass. Even if I never wire or use it as a TA the extra two modules will be worth it...

As for the H/TLF, according to the sticky posted here about vehicle specific flashers, the one listed for my truck wont work at night with the vehicle lights on so I chose to spend it on something that will show up night or day. If the info on the flashers is wrong or there is an alternative flasher which will work please let me know.

GPC said:
Sounds like it will be a nice setup. Cannons will be just fine in the tail lights. Would also consider a Cobra 600 or 800 over the two 200s.

If you want to give FEVER (View Profile: FEVER - eLightbars.org) a shout, Nic is a good guy and his prices on the Feniex equipment are pretty much unbeatable.

Nic paying you for plugging his business? lol j/k I have done some serious looking for people to work with on my project and Nic's post are top notch and he seems very knowledgeable, his prices aren't bad either. Anyone got disabled :rolleyes: veteran prices? lol

Apr 28, 2013
New York/Mass
Proposed set up looks good. I just would like to echo Eric1249 on the not using 4 small grille lights. You have a big truck, use big grille lights on it, especially since you have a brush guard you can mount them on. Go with a Whelen M6 or something similarly sized.

Otherwise I like the setup and look forward to seeing it complete.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Surgicalcric said:
Well after spending some time reading through this forum and watching vids on youtube I think I am ready to start my next generation POV volunteer response project. The vehicle will be a black 2011 Dodge 2500 4x4 crew cab with bed cover and a Ranch Hand Brush Guard installed.

From 1993 - 2002 I both worked as a firefighter/paramedic but volunteered in the county where I lived which was all vol EMS and FD. I have had several vehicles and response packages in the past with the most recent being a 2001 Chevy 1500 Z71 with (8) HAW strobes and Whelen DBL Dashmisers in the cab and rear of camper cover. Of course all the lights were synch'd. Now with everything changing from centralized power supplies to them being contained with each component I have some learning to do on synching - this is the reason I chose all Feniex, ease of synching.

Tips, recommendations, and constructive criticism appreciated. -- Crip

For lighting I have decided on the following (all lights to be synch'd at appropriate levels):

FRONT:

Feniex Apollo-2 (R/R) later changed out for Pegasus Split (R/R with Two Flashing Takedowns)

GRILLGUARD:

Front - Cobra T6 (4) in pairs mounted to front of top horizontal cross tube

Side - Cobra T6 (1 ea side) mounted horizontal

DRIVING LIGHTS:

Corner Light: Cannon (Clear)

SIDE:

Cobra T6 (R/R) on Cobra 2X L bracket in back seat window

Considering a T6 on the leading edge of each mirrors

REAR:

Cannon (Red) in Tail Lights

Cannon (Amber) Backup Lights

Cobra 200 (2) **Was considering going back to HAWs in the corner and tail lights as I havent been too impressed with the LAWs I have seen in OEM vehicle housings.

SOUND:

(1) Whelen SA314 Speaker mounted to bottom of top horizontal cross member of brush guard (will add second with addition of 2nd Storm)

(1) Storm Siren (will add a second with addition of 4200)

SWITCHING:

Initially using switch panel from Storm and changing to 4200 at earliest convenience

Pretty much any of the big boy brands (whelen, FedSig, etc) can be synced together...generally, all you would need is an ambulance flasher (more outputs than a basic external flasher unit). Personally, I am a whelen, fedsig, & SOS. However, you don't have to use ALL Feniex products with your planned 4200; you can set most other manufacturers' lights to steady burn & have them controlled by an external flasher or the one built into the 4200. Setup sounds good but here are some considerations for alternative pieces of equipment:

--Whelen M6 in the grill/brush guard area (2 big, linear grill lights up front look better than 4 smaller lights, and big grill lights are often a primary lighting source on pickups & larger trucks, so big footprint is nice), & M2's on the sides. Linear is the best way to go up front & in intersection areas IMO.

--SOS intersectors beneath the mirrors (better off-axis output & don't require making holes in visible parts of the mirrors)

--SOS dual color nForce on the sides of the bed (ie side of the toolbox), which can also be used as an alley light

--I'd consider a 600/800 lightstick on the rear headliner, as opposed to 2 200's (it'd be 1 less thing to sync, you'll have a bugger footprint, & you could use a TA, if needed)

--With a limited budget, I'd save the cannons for last. LAWs are great, but when starting out with a limited budget, u would focus more on larger lightheads. LP license plate lights, for example, offer decent footprints for lower rear warning

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
Surgicalcric said:
Nic paying you for plugging his business? lol j/k I have done some serious looking for people to work with on my project and Nic's post are top notch and he seems very knowledgeable, his prices aren't bad either. Anyone got disabled :rolleyes: veteran prices? lol

lol No, I just know Nic and know he has one of the best companies around to do business with.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Wow... just saw this conversation. Thanks for the props.

A couple of things I thought of:

-If you are wanting to move to a total car synch, lets order you some "dummy" modules. This will save you money (and time synching each individual light head).

-We could probably take leftover savings to get you a pegasus also without a flasher so it is even cheaper. This would also allow you to synch everything up.

-Whelen M2's are about the same size as the Dual T6, but the Dual T-6 does have better output

-http://www.soundoffsignal.com/sales-support/tech-services/flasher-vehicle-charts down at the bottom has a guide to headlight flashers. Dodge is listed under chrysler.

-If you were ordering all Feniex stuff save yourself alot of money and go with a Feniex speaker. Saves on shipping and there is a huge cost savings.

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
GPC: Just jerking your chain a bit. :p

Nic: Thanks for the assist on the H/TLF flasher sticky. I had taken a look at that one but the flasher listed for my vehicle will only work during day light hours as turning the lights on for HOLV will disable the flash function.

_________

In continuation of this project thread, I am actually not too concerned with the Pegasus and 600 series being synch'd with the lower level lighting but if getting them without flashers will save money then I will run them off a ULF-44 (unless there is a better flasher) like the rest of the lights.

What is the opinion of you guys on using an Apollo in the backseat window location instead of a T6 for better off axis coverage.

Thanks,

Crip

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I have made a couple purchases for Nic, as well as a couple guys on my Dept. I would purchase from him again. I got a Pegasus from Nic. I synced my Pegasus (except for flashing takedowns) with the PAR's in my driving lights and my Mirror Beams with a ULF44.

I may have missed it, but if you have tint I would lean towards TIR optics.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Surgicalcric said:
None other than the factory stuff

I have factory tint on my Explorer. I have a dual Avenger mounted in the side rear window behind factory tint. I have a video on my phone comparing the Avenger to a Feniex Cobra 200. If you PM me your number I can send you a couple videos.

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Well I am well on my way to having my truck install completed and have now decided to put a camper shell (with bed slide inside) on it. The tint on the ARE series shells is dark, like limo dark. I currently have (2) Cobra 200s mounted in the rear of the cab but want to transition to something a bit bigger. So with staying in the 600 series range what would you guys recommend for putting back there? Also, the side windows have the same tint and will be getting lights installed in them too.

For the purpose of thoroughness the bar will be mounted to the frame work on the shell so that when the door is open the bar is still visible instead of tilting up like many others I see here.

So what say those more experienced than me?

Thanks.

And here are a couple quick vids. Once its [mostly] complete I will start an install thread.

(6) Cannons - brake, reverse, front corner/turn

(2) Cobra 200 - rear glass

(2) Dbl T6 Push bar

(1) Apollo 2 windshield

(2) Storms under rear seat

Future:

(1) HLF As soon as I can find one that will work with my truck (without guessing)

(1) 6-800 series bar in rear of camper

(2) Cobra 200's in side glass of camper - moved from rear glass

(2) intersection lights under mirrors or on pushbar (those uprights are cut from 3/8" steel) (cannons do a good job for now)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeystoneDiesel

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.