2011 Ford Explorer Demo Truck

May 24, 2010
East Longmeadow, MA
Just took delivery of my new 2011 Ford Explorer, traded in the 2007. This vehicle is my daily driver, and is also my demonstration vehicle for my business. Looking for some suggestions on equipment that you would like to see installed or integrated. Only one condition: SLICKTOP.

Please no bashing me on my choice of vehicle, or personal feelings on the new design on the Explorer.

I appreciate everyone's input on this.

Jeff @ EVS

May 22, 2010
Central WV
Well, here we go...lol

Front:

Interior Pinnacle with TDs

Predator II Dual on dash under RVM

Universal Undercovers in turn signals

Ghosts in lower part of grill

Side:

LED3s on 10-75 Intersection bracket, or if you do a PB put Raptors on the sides

Intersectors under side mirrors

XP63s in rear cargo windows behind C post

Rear:

UltraLite 8 TA

LED3s on rear LP bracket

Universal Undercovers in rear brake or reverse lights synced with the LED3s on LP

Siren/Control/Speaker:

380R or 395 Series

100H speaker

That should have it all pretty well covered 360* as well as give you the ability to display as many different types products in a coherent and tasteful way. It would also give you the chance to show off your install abilities for customers. What do you think?

LED138

May 31, 2010
Bergen County, NJ
+1 with a few changes:

aberfitchguy2472 said:
Well, here we go...lol

Front:

Interior Pinnacle with TDs

Predator II Dual on dash under RVM (-1, mount it close to the dash as possible)

Universal Undercovers in turn signals (-1, headlight area, Im not a fan of HAW's behind amber lenses in front)

Ghosts in lower part of grill

Side:

LED3s on 10-75 Intersection bracket, or if you do a PB put Raptors on the sides

Intersectors under side mirrors

XP63s in rear cargo windows behind C post

Rear:

UltraLite 8 TA

LED3s on rear LP bracket

Universal Undercovers in rear brake & reverse lights synced with the LED3s on LP

Siren/Control/Speaker:

385 Series (Handheld is the way to go on these new trucks. Especially given the lack of aftermarket consoles)

100H speaker

May 22, 2010
Central WV
LED138 said:
+1 with a few changes:

-I meant for the Predator II to be on the dash centered under the RVM.

-I don't think you can put the Universal Undercovers in the headlight area because they have HID headlights and I didn't see a great spot in the headlight housing from the pictures I looked at online for the insert to go in. It also appeared that the fog lights are too small to add an insert into. Though you could do a flasher on the fog lights for some more front warning since you can't do a HLF on the HID bulbs.

-I agree the 385 is the way to go with the lack of space, but if he doesn't go with a 385 (or other handheld) then I'd do the 380R since they are coming out with a mini remote head soon. Last choice would be the standard 380.

LED138

May 31, 2010
Bergen County, NJ
The headlights arent HID on all models. Only the Limited has true HID. They look similar on all models though. The SO universals have the interchangable lenses which would help the output. Im assuming that they used all Whelen products in the PPV version so that would be Vertex which only have 3 leds facing outward in that position.

380r huh? I cant wait for that to come out!

On a different note, does anybody have a lead as to who did the install on those vehicles? Im curious to know how much of a pain the mirrors were to do.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Are hlf and tlf units made for the new Volvo/Taurus cars?

May 24, 2010
East Longmeadow, MA
All suggestions sound great, Interior Pinnacle is already on my list along with the 385 Remote siren, Universal LED hideaways in reverse and rear turn signal location, since brake lights are LED, mirrors are power fold so I'm not ready to drill into them just yet. Main objective is to remain as unmodified as possible from the exterior. This truck is going to be upfitted by me, so I would really like to hear what everyone has to say and would also really like to hear what everyone wants to see integrated into the new body style Explorer that isn't done by Ford engineers.

May 22, 2010
Central WV
LED138 said:
The headlights arent HID on all models. Only the Limited has true HID. They look similar on all models though. The SO universals have the interchangable lenses which would help the output. Im assuming that they used all Whelen products in the PPV version so that would be Vertex which only have 3 leds facing outward in that position.

380r huh? I cant wait for that to come out!

On a different note, does anybody have a lead as to who did the install on those vehicles? Im curious to know how much of a pain the mirrors were to do.

380R is already out. The only thing new coming is the mini control head.

HILO said:
Are hlf and tlf units made for the new Volvo/Taurus cars?

According to the most current charts online from Sound Off, which are for the 2010 model year, no HLF for the Taurus (HID projection headlights), but there are two TLFs listed: ETFBSS-P and ETFB00-P

http://www.soundoffsignal.com/warnamber/flashers/Taillight/ETFBSSN-P.htm

http://www.soundoffsignal.com/warnamber/flashers/Taillight/ETFB_relay.htm

EmerVehSolutions said:
All suggestions sound great, Interior Pinnacle is already on my list along with the 385 Remote siren, Universal LED hideaways in reverse and rear turn signal location, since brake lights are LED, mirrors are power fold so I'm not ready to drill into them just yet. Main objective is to remain as unmodified as possible from the exterior. This truck is going to be upfitted by me, so I would really like to hear what everyone has to say and would also really like to hear what everyone wants to see integrated into the new body style Explorer that isn't done by Ford engineers.

Power fold mirrors could make things interesting. What are you thinking for the grill? Anything for intersection coverage (I know you won't use yours for responding, just for demo)? I haven't seen one in person, but from the pictures it doesn't look like there are a lot of mounting options for lights or a lot of lights that can be used for that matter. Guess it depends how well lights could shine through some for the different locations in the grill. I guess in most cases PBs would be used and would make mounting lights on the front end and front sides easier. I say if you are comfortable with doing something complicated, do it...this is your chance to show off what you can do and can be a great asset in making a sale or getting an installation contract from a department.

LED138

May 31, 2010
Bergen County, NJ
aberfitchguy2472 said:
380R is already out. The only thing new coming is the mini control head.

Sorry, I didnt mean to put the 380r part.. I was actually talking about the mini control head.

May 24, 2010
East Longmeadow, MA
Anyone else want to share their input for lighting ideas?

I know everyone on here likes things that flash and are bright, so lets here what everyone has to say. This is a new platform and I know we have some very creative members on the board.

Please post ideas for the truck and products you want to see installed I will do my best to make sure they make it on the truck.

Jeff

LED138

May 31, 2010
Bergen County, NJ
VolEms said:
I like the way it looks. I don't know how grill lights will work behind that grill.

The lights wont work behind the grille.. At best, the bottom of the grille seems like the only viable location for grille lights. Ive tried the ghosts in the upper slats, but the stick out too much for my taste.

-Steve

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.