2011 Hyundai Elantra

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Asking for ideas for my car; it's a 2011 Hyundai Elantra. Currently I have a blue/blue dual head LED in the front; and two single heads in the back, one blue and one amber. I'm not looking to do anything to outrageous; but would like to put a little more lights in it. Looking for ideas on what else to add that's easily hidden and not blinding. Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Yeah I mean I've seen some volunteers in NY with lights in every crack and crevice you can find; I'm trying to keep it simple but effective. Aside from being a volunteer firefighter/2nd lieutenant/EMT, I work full time for a commercial EMS agency and part time for a local VAC. I do carry some EMS gear in my car, a jump bag with an ensemble of equipment. I will stop at accidents if its serious ie rollovers which is why warning lights to the rear. Not looking to do anything super outrageous, just a little bit more.

bwoodruff

Aug 8, 2011
Upstate NY
I'd suggest some small grille lights for the front and an inexpensive interior TA for the rear.

Also: I assume you know what you are doing, but for anyone else reading who might not, you have to be extremely careful carrying gear with you and stopping at MVAs etc that you are not dispatched to. My understanding is that the requirement is that if you are going to do such things you need a full 800 bag (including O2, albuterol, EPI, etc) and a signature from your medical directory to carry it. This may vary by region but I'd definitely recommend anyone thinking about doing such things check with their captain. Again, not really directed at you, just anyone else who might be casually browsing and thing "oh! That is a good idea!"

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
I do know what I'm doing, not to seem like a prick I understand what your saying; in NY you only have to carry a full 800 bag with O2 and such and be licensed by your medical director if your car is to be registered as a flycar. I'll only stop at accidents that are obviously serious like I said a rollover or something. I won't stop at the Jacobi and Meyers as I like to call them as I hate going to those while working. Fortunately I don't come upon many accidents anymore, but if I do, or while operating at a call in my district, I'd like my car standing out. Also, a good point; if anyone reads this and suddenly wants to get gear to keep in their car, do some research first. See if your state has any restrictions and such.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
Before I wired up any more grill lights or TA's, I'd do something for 360 degree/intersection visibility. The mag mount Whelen 800 short dome in blue is super bright. I'm not a huge fan of LED beacons but the mag mount Whelen L31 in blue is pretty visible too, although more expensive than the 800.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
efdny2003 said:
in NY you only have to carry a full 800 bag with O2 and such and be licensed by your medical director if your car is to be registered as a flycar.
+1. There is no requirement for EMTs that want to carry gear; rather, it's only if you want to be authorized by the DOH to have red lights and a siren in your POV.

For your elantra, I would put a pair of ghosts at the grill. If you want side warning, it's hard to do without drilling l-brackets, as there really isn't a good spot to mount lightheads on the sides in an elantra

bwoodruff

Aug 8, 2011
Upstate NY
pdk9 said:
+1. There is no requirement for EMTs that want to carry gear; rather, it's only if you want to be authorized by the DOH to have red lights and a siren in your POV.

I think it also depends on what you want to carry. My understanding from speaking with my director of ops is if you want to carry O2 or other medications that you may administer to a patient, you need the full 800 bag and a signature from the medical director. Again, that may just be my region (MLREMS). Would be happy to continue this conversation in PM if anyone is interested as it is a subject I'm very interested in.

Back on topic: If your primary concern is for stopping at MVAs, I'd focus on the rear warning. Try to get a TA that can be dimmed so it is bright during the day but can be scaled back at night so as to not blind drivers you are trying to warn.

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
I have a 2012 Elantra set up the following way:

Front:

Dual Talon B/B

LIN4 in grille (B/B, synced, solid, default pattern alternating)

Vertexes ( B) in fog lights (synced, alternating comet)

Rear:

Vertexes (Red in brake lights and blue in rear turn signals (comet, synced on X pattern)

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
dual avenger or slimlighter above RVM, single avenger below it on the dash against the windshield, fairies in the headlights. Put them all on a ULF44 and voila!

As for the back, I'd go with a MicroStarBar B/a/a/a/a/a/B, amber in 1 watt and blue in 3 watt. I believe that the included sho-me flasher can't do the 3 watt modules, but since the blue is for warning while the amber is for TA you should be able to keep the amber on the flasher and and put the blue on the ULF-44. Maybe even two blue sections on each end.

Do you have the coupe, sedan, or hatchback Elantra? If it's a coupe or sedan, I'd keep the TA all amber and put the warning in the reverse lights and LP bracket. But the rear window on the 2011 Elantra hatchback is prime real estate for lighting, much like an SUV.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.