2011 PEUGEOT 508 Covert Operations Package

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Not as fancy and "gear-rich" as its US counterparts, but low profile and efficient.. Gets the job done...

Front :

- 2X MS6 in grille W/W

- MicroMax Xtreme B/B

Rear :

- MicroMax Xtreme Dual W/B

Controls:

- ShoMe switch pack

All equipement & install by Eurotec.

105_4338.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
RJ* said:
White to the rear? In Europe?

If it's got the E65 certification it's cool I guess. Allowed or not, it's never a good idea to have white warning lights in back.

RJ*

May 21, 2010
Finland
nerdly_dood said:
If it's got the E65 certification it's cool I guess. Allowed or not, it's never a good idea to have white warning lights in back.

Well it won't - E65 does not recognize white as a warning color at all.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
RJ* said:
White to the rear? In Europe?

Indeed.

Some of our cars have B/R on the deck, or white vertexes in the taillights, which is not a common feature either on EVs this side of the pond.

RJ*

May 21, 2010
Finland
TheGatekeeper said:
Indeed.
Some of our cars have B/R on the deck, or white vertexes in the taillights, which is not a common feature either on EVs this side of the pond.

OK, just one question: why?

I completely agree with nerdly_dood on this one - white to the rear is never a good idea.

LawMan902

Mar 29, 2011
FL, USA
I don't understand why white to the rear is considered a "bad idea". So putting haw's in reverse lights is a bad idea? I could see where a lot could be a bad thing, but I honestly like white to the rear because it's normally the most visible from the longest distances, and in adverse weather conditions...

Reactions: Station 3

cbpdogboy

May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI
Many departments in the metropolitan area of Detroit use white to the rear...not blinding and gets your attention...imo. Michigan State Police even point their Unity spotlights to the rear for increased safety on traffic stops/accidents...

Reactions: Station 3

RJ*

May 21, 2010
Finland
Solvarex said:
Who gives a sh*t. Who appointed the lot of you the color police?

Sorry - I had no idea talking about what colors are effective is forbidden.

BTW, who appointed you the discussion topic police?

RJ*

May 21, 2010
Finland
TheGatekeeper said:
Glad to see my humble peugeot Diesel is getting so much attention !! ;)

I'd still be interested in hearing if you can articulate a logical reason for having white to the rear. So far, none has been forthcoming.

Whatever Detroit or Michigan does is of no concern - this is Europe.

It's not my vehicle, and nowhere near me, so for all I care you can run pink LEDs on the underside and HAWs in your glovebox... but my concerns about rear white are:

-it's against ECE R65, and most European lighting laws

-because of that, it's practically unseen in most of Europe

-as such, road users are totally not used to seeing it

-so it will only serve to confuse them, which is counterproductive

If you know of any advantages that would outweigh these, please share them with us.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
RJ* said:
I'd still be interested in hearing if you can articulate a logical reason for having white to the rear. So far, none has been forthcoming

No it has not, and I didn't think I owed you one anyway. Whether it's "logical" or not is in the eye of the beholder.

However in order to satisfy your curiosity and for the few here interested, indeed in Paris many non-emergency, non LE vehicles have been seen with white in the rear, whether as Vertexes in tail lights or plain blue/white deck LEDs. Those vehicles are often attached to foreign embassies.

More and more are using emergency lights as a mean to get out of trouble when a dignitary is being transported, or merely to beat the daily insane traffic (not everyone in an embassy food chain has a right to a French police security detail ;) ). Nothing new here and certainly nothing to write home about.

USE-Paris cars even run Blue/Red in front, which is a no-no in most of Northern Europe. As seen here :

I guess from the users' perspective there is a logic to be perceived as an emergency vehicle, although not necessarily as an LE unit. Whether allowing (tolerating is more like it) diplomatic staff to run code makes sense is debatable indeed. But it's just the way it is, and I suppose that as long as there are no serious abuse as to make the ten o'clock news, nobody gives a rat's kidney since immunity is the name of the game. :)

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
The 2011 sedan has gone to be replaced by a 2014 Wagon... Well, really a "late 2013" although it has been plated last month...

Same highly sophisticated equipement... :sigh:

DCPS.jpg

photo (1) - Copie.JPG

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
Very nice wagon, nearly ended up in one myself until we discovered my Pyrenees won't fit comfortably, he's from European bloodlines. Instead I ended up in a Grand Picasso.

A couple of embassies here have tried the run emergency lights trick, they get jumped on very quickly. Not that they need to resort to such silliness here in Canberra.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Thanks

The French large sedans and wagons are indeed underrated. They certainly don't show a cool badge, but they remain excellent cars nevertheless.

Unfortunately they suffer from a lack of decent firepower... Looks like our French manufacturers do not know an engine can have more than 4 cylinders...

As for the diplomatic community using blue lights... It's not a trick in Paris. many are allowed to do so (especially the sensitive representations) for specific vehicles.

USE/Paris is probably the most spectacular in that respect (hey, what do you expect !) and they run their "own colors", R/B, R/W and whatever thei feel like doing... Just like home ! ;)

Some diplomatic heads of security are also registered with the "Préfecture", and their members hold a name/vehicle specific card known as "circulation card". Technically not a blue light authorization, but they never get challenged as the card reads "All police authorities are to facilitate at all times and in any way the circulation of the holder (name) of this card and his/her vehicle (make/Plate)"

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
Yeah, only embassy vehicle I've seen with lights belonged to the US embassy, well sort of belonged to the embassy.  The other sensitive embassies rely on the police shadow, again not like it's really needed when you can go from one side of the city to the other in less then an hour during peak hour!

runesson

Aug 6, 2011
Northern Europe
Nice cars, but I have to make a comment about the lighting on french vehicles in general:

I've been "preaching" moderation on the amount of lights on emergency vehicles, but I have to say: last time I visited Paris (this spring), I often found my self looking around to try and see where the sirene(s) was coming from, and very often it was impossible, even when the sirene was veeery close. Slicktop vehicles often ran with just two small grill-lights or a small dashlight or a rotator left on the dashboard. Understandably, they often got stuck and it didn't look very safe with confused motorist looking around, trying to figure out what to do. Just saying...

I also have to agree with RJ on this:

-so it will only serve to confuse them, which is counterproductive

Red, blue, green and white lights have specific meaning in most European countrys.

Why challenge that?

I'm gonna run away now before Solvarex comes yelling at me...

Reactions: TheGatekeeper

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Very valid points on the meagre equipment of most French unmarked vehicles.... (although as I wrote earlier, it is getting better, except for police detective cars... :(  )

To try to address your concerns :

Correct. Yet it is seen more and more frequently on Emergency Doctors cars aka SAMU, which have always been far ahead of the game in terms of EV gear.

As for the Diplomatic Corps, they don't give a rat's kidney, they can't be held accountable. As written above, the Americans run blue/red on the streets of Paris and dont give a f...

Practically... is the key word.. ;) . Again Emergency Doctors are ahead with W/B and R/B on their vehicles, especially thru HAW.

Certainly, but in my experience, those who won't move for white/blue won't move for any color, period. Morons are morons are morons.

-so it will only serve to confuse them, which is counterproductive.

See above. It would only confuse the same morons.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.