2011 Silverado Amber Vertex for Intersection Clearing

Rhinojoe

May 26, 2010
Exempt
Looking for ideas for intersection clearing lights.

What area your thoughts on installing a set of amber Vertex in the upper front amber turn signal for an intersection clearing light?

It looks extremely tight for the Vertex, (this is why I ask).

If you would to remove the factory bulb and cap off the wires I'm afraid that the the DIC/ECM will throw a Code, (i.e. check turn signal)?

Thoughts/Ideas?

Thanks

RJ

FireMedic19

May 8, 2012
Vermilion, Ohio
I've seen it done, good location, good output head on, but wasn't exactly great on the off axis. However, the turn signals had a case of the hyper flash because the system is missing a bulb.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Clear is best for clearing intersections, if not clear, at least red or blue. Amber is not an emergency vehicle color, and you will be risking liability running a non EV color in something important like ROW. So if you are able to 'clear intersections', then you have an emergency vehicle thus can use red, blue, and clear in California.

I like the Fenix Cannons for HAW LED's. Removing a bulb either front or rear turn signal will cause fast flash. I paid $80.00 a truck to have a dealership install an overwrite program from GM when I remounted boxes on 2010 1500's. Had to go from 2 bulbs too one for STT lights.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
What are you needing to clear an intersection for? (ie Fire, EMS, LE)

For the best intersection warning, it's not gonna be in the turn signal housing; you need to consider the benefit & visibility of having a small light mounted to the exterior & actually facing towards the side, or (if u have fog housings) mount a cannon facing out towards the sides. For exterior, I would recommend the SNM surface star in clear or red (if permitted to) mounted to the side of the bumper; it's a LAW that's actually made for the purpose of surface mounting. Another option is the axixtech ST6 (the super thin light is like the size of an ion but it's practically 1/3 the depth/thickness of it)

I need to go with HILO on this.

If you are in So Cal and using a POV, you shouldn't be worried about clearing intersections. It is very unlikely you have an emergency vehicle permit from the CHP (the Commissioner has to personally sign off on every one), and almost any traffic officer (state or local) will hunt you down and wear out an ink pen on you if you try it.

If you are lighting up an an agency vehicle, go with clear over amber any day of the week, for the reasons stated above. Amber is not an emergency color, and it is less visible than clear. So, go clear, or go with your authorized primary color. Save the amber for the rear.

I haven't worked with either Vertex or Cannons yet, but everyone who I have talked to that has, say the Cannons completely out-perform the Vertexes.

Rhinojoe

May 26, 2010
Exempt
pdk9 said:
What are you needing to clear an intersection for? (ie Fire, EMS, LE)

For the best intersection warning, it's not gonna be in the turn signal housing; you need to consider the benefit & visibility of having a small light mounted to the exterior & actually facing towards the side, or (if u have fog housings) mount a cannon facing out towards the sides. For exterior, I would recommend the SNM surface star in clear or red (if permitted to) mounted to the side of the bumper; it's a LAW that's actually made for the purpose of surface mounting. Another option is the axixtech ST6 (the super thin light is like the size of an ion but it's practically 1/3 the depth/thickness of it)

L/E

The jurisdiction that the vehicle will be used doesn't prohibit Amber to the front in an EV, (as a secondary lighting as long as the primary colors are in use).

Amber was chosen to preform in incliment weather in order to lessen flashbackin weather etc.

I'm just assisting in the design. The vehicle has a HLF and lighting must be concealed.

I was afraid that the hFL would wash out any other locations inside the HL Housing, thus wanting to use the turn signal, as the T/S has about 110 degress side coverage.

Thanks and please keep the suggections coming.

RJ

Last edited by a moderator:

Rhinojoe

May 26, 2010
Exempt
FireMedic19 said:
I've seen it done, good location, good output head on, but wasn't exactly great on the off axis. However, the turn signals had a case of the hyper flash because the system is missing a bulb.

Instead of a GM Stealer ECM reprogram charge I was thinking of installing an appropriate resister in the factory circuit at the socket and tucking it back.

Rhinojoe

May 26, 2010
Exempt
Duster said:
I need to go with HILO on this.

If you are in So Cal and using a POV, you shouldn't be worried about clearing intersections. It is very unlikely you have an emergency vehicle permit from the CHP (the Commissioner has to personally sign off on every one), and almost any traffic officer (state or local) will hunt you down and wear out an ink pen on you if you try it.

I'll just have the client retain the new Illegal Alein Attorney that was just admitted to the California State bar....J/K Couldn't resist.

The E/V won't fall under, or be subject to, the CA. Title 13 requirements, but thanks for mentioning it.

RJ

munisafety

Aug 31, 2012
Nc, usa
Rhinojoe said:
Looking for ideas for intersection clearing lights.

What area your thoughts on installing a set of amber Vertex in the upper front amber turn signal for an intersection clearing light?

It looks extremely tight for the Vertex, (this is why I ask).

If you would to remove the factory bulb and cap off the wires I'm afraid that the the DIC/ECM will throw a Code, (i.e. check turn signal)?

Thoughts/Ideas?

Thanks

RJ

amber is not a good idea to clear an intersection should always be clear

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
munisafety said:
amber is not a good idea to clear an intersection should always be clear

Maybe with strobe, but with LEDs, white light is actually less intense than red or blue. Additionally, red and blue are generally emergency colors, whereas amber and white are not.

Rhinojoe said:
I'll just have the client retain the new Illegal Alein Attorney that was just admitted to the California State bar....J/K Couldn't resist.

The E/V won't fall under, or be subject to, the CA. Title 13 requirements, but thanks for mentioning it.

RJ

Ouch!! Had that one coming...LOL! :rolleyes: I have to agree with you; can't wait to get out of this freak-show state.

I wasn't trying to be a light-nazi, but you just never know. I have a couple friends who have Code 3 equipment on their POV's for vollie FF work, and just don't believe me that they are a citation just waiting to happen...it's just not worth the trouble it will cause you in this state.

Rhinojoe

May 26, 2010
Exempt
Duster said:
Ouch!! Had that one coming...LOL! :rolleyes: I have to agree with you; can't wait to get out of this freak-show state.

I wasn't trying to be a light-nazi, but you just never know. I have a couple friends who have Code 3 equipment on their POV's for vollie FF work, and just don't believe me that they are a citation just waiting to happen...it's just not worth the trouble it will cause you in this state.

It's all in good jest. I can't wait until the IA Atty ever is asked if he's every comiited a violation of law and lied about it. How the heck did he get through school? (Rant Off).

Btw, does CA. have an exemtion for an EV installer's demo vehicle?

How does the CHP handle a "Whelen type" vehicle rolling down the road?

Is there an expention for testing or development????

Just curious

PS. I'm still having trouble avoiding washout with installing both a White LED HAW and a HLF when I look at the 2011 HL housing.

The 2011 has so many cross refelective surfaces its hard to partition off a directed flash pattern, (or I could be wrong).

I guess I'll just have to ruin one and see what happens.

Thanks to everyone with their ideas and thoughts,

RJ

Rhinojoe said:
Btw, does CA. have an exemtion for an EV installer's demo vehicle?

How does the CHP handle a "Whelen type" vehicle rolling down the road?

Is there an expention for testing or development???? RJ

I'm sure there is, because I've seen the demo vehicles around occasionally, and there are LOTS of vintage and replica emergency vehicles here (the Ripon vintage police car show is a biggie out here). There are CA installers here on the board, so I'm sure you will get more accurate information from them, but I remember this much:

- (Paraphrasing) On any vehicle that is not an authorized emergency vehicle, any Code 3 equipment has to be deactivated in such a way that the driver cannot activate the equipment from the driver's compartment. I have heard of this being done most often with a master kill switch under the hood or in the trunk...wherever the power distribution center is.

- If the lights have visible color (Red or Blue domes or lenses), the lights must be covered with an opaque material when on a public roadway, sufficiently so that the color is not visible.

- LEDS do not have to be covered, provided the lens color is clear and no safety color is visible when the lights are off.

- Sirens are a special case. In most cases, simply having a siren mounted in an unauthorized vehicle is a violation, whether powered or not. For security vehicles, being equipped with a siren can result in the vehicle being impounded. I don't remember if that applies to all vehicles or is just a security-specific section. I only know that much because I researched it once to deal with a whacker security company I had creating problems in my town. Whether these sections are still in effect, I don't know...it's been ten years since I looked at them.

chiefolson

Jul 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Don't discredit the value of amber as an intersection clearing light color. The intent of light at this specific location on the vehicle is to get attention - not to identify what type of vehicle the other drivers and pedestrians are looking at. Amber has been studied and is clearly of use for attention getting. We have been using amber LED lighting for intersection lights on ambulances and other response vehicles for several years and find them to be effective. When edging into the intersection, the flashing amber does not resemble a headlight (clear) or a brake light (red) that drivers are most accustomed to seeing. We are using a second amber lighthead further back on these vehicles to complete the mid-level. It provides a very noticeable color of warning light in the "impact zone" and is very much in contrast to the red LEDs that outline the top of the vehicle.

IMG_0332.JPG

Rhinojoe

May 26, 2010
Exempt
Duster said:
I'm sure there is, because I've seen the demo vehicles around occasionally, and there are LOTS of vintage and replica emergency vehicles here (the Ripon vintage police car show is a biggie out here). There are CA installers here on the board, so I'm sure you will get more accurate information from them, but I remember this much:

- (Paraphrasing) On any vehicle that is not an authorized emergency vehicle, any Code 3 equipment has to be deactivated in such a way that the driver cannot activate the equipment from the driver's compartment. I have heard of this being done most often with a master kill switch under the hood or in the trunk...wherever the power distribution center is.

- If the lights have visible color (Red or Blue domes or lenses), the lights must be covered with an opaque material when on a public roadway, sufficiently so that the color is not visible.

- LEDS do not have to be covered, provided the lens color is clear and no safety color is visible when the lights are off.

- Sirens are a special case. In most cases, simply having a siren mounted in an unauthorized vehicle is a violation, whether powered or not. For security vehicles, being equipped with a siren can result in the vehicle being impounded. I don't remember if that applies to all vehicles or is just a security-specific section. I only know that much because I researched it once to deal with a whacker security company I had creating problems in my town. Whether these sections are still in effect, I don't know...it's been ten years since I looked at them.

Thanks for the insight.

Be safe,

RJ

Rhinojoe

May 26, 2010
Exempt
chiefolson said:
Don't discredit the value of amber as an intersection clearing light color. The intent of light at this specific location on the vehicle is to get attention - not to identify what type of vehicle the other drivers and pedestrians are looking at. Amber has been studied and is clearly of use for attention getting. We have been using amber LED lighting for intersection lights on ambulances and other response vehicles for several years and find them to be effective. When edging into the intersection, the flashing amber does not resemble a headlight (clear) or a brake light (red) that drivers are most accustomed to seeing. We are using a second amber lighthead further back on these vehicles to complete the mid-level. It provides a very noticeable color of warning light in the "impact zone" and is very much in contrast to the red LEDs that outline the top of the vehicle.

Nice dissertation Chief.

I too have also seen them used as secondary intersection lighting many times, (as long as you have the primary or min. color/requirements working).

RJ

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
You may want to investigate the legality of using amber as a primary warning color - if it's considered a color for an emergency vehicle. A local city's PD has a crime scene tech who lives down the street, and she is assigned a Blazer with a Vista with red and amber domes. I often wonder what could happen if that unit were responding emergency - is it a true emergency vehicle under Maryland law with the amber dome?

Rhinojoe

May 26, 2010
Exempt
Doug said:
You may want to investigate the legality of using amber as a primary warning color - if it's considered a color for an emergency vehicle. A local city's PD has a crime scene tech who lives down the street, and she is assigned a Blazer with a Vista with red and amber domes. I often wonder what could happen if that unit were responding emergency - is it a true emergency vehicle under Maryland law with the amber dome?

Thanks,

Amber as a Secondary is approved as long as the Primary Color(s) are used.

RJ

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.