2012 NPS Ford Utility Slicktop

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
Our new setup is not yet complete but I stopped by the install shop and snapped a couple of tease pics for those who might be interested.

Rear Setup

2 - Whelen M6 (Red, Driver's Side)

2 - Whelen M6 (Blue, Passenger's Side)

1 set - Whelen Vertex (1-Red, 1-Blue in tail light assemblies)

1 - Whelen Ion (Red, Driver's Side)

1 - Whelen Ion (Blue, Passenger's Side)

SoundOff Exterior Traffic Advisor

SoundOff Intersector Surface Mount (side facing)

-This will be the mother of all synch installs. Stationary pattern will be "X" at 75 fpm with the Vertex and Intersectors tied in.

-The Ions are dedicated steady burns.

-We are also going to add something to the rear hatch edge, possibly 1-red and 1-blue M-4 (just because we have extras due to a misorder and we're 90% certain they'll fit.)

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Slicktop_20Utility_teaser_rear.jpg

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Sl017d8cb139fda2514989f0c3ac910ca3.jpg

The Intersectors arent' bolted down yet but you can see their relative position. This is the second install we've done like this and the result is great as nothing is behind any tint.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I'm really looking forward to this, since all of your other uploads have always been well thought out (especially the sync and flash patterns) and badass.

The one thing I'm not totally in love with is the placement of the lower M-series. If I could tweak their location, I would've either put them directly beneath the LP-level m-series, OR put them level with the other lightheads and place them in close proximity to the LP on either side.

What are the specs for the rest of the ride?

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
pdk9 said:
The one thing I'm by thrilled about is the placement of the lower M-series. If I could tweak their location, I would've either out them directly beneath the LP-level m-series, OR put them level with the other lightheads and place them in close proximity to the LP on either side

This install has been tweaked several times. Originally, it was going to be M-6's on the outside and M-4's on the inside. When we didn't have M-4's but had M-6's we were going to put them in a line with the inboards right next to the license plate. That was cool until we tried it. The back of the Utility is very curved and the M6's would not fit flush next to the license plate. We dropped them back to the original spot solely for fit purposes.

For the curious, this was the original plan:

http://elightbars.org/forums/f13/proposed-2013-ford-utility-setup-33019/

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
I'm not really feeling the M6s from an aesthetics stand point, but I know it will be bright as heck and very effective given your previous installs.

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
John the M6's look kinda funky, but this install is going to be awesome!!! You should come do my units light specs lol. Gov to gov love. Looks great and looking forward to seeing the final product.

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
Aesthetics have been a common complaint with this setup. Besides the M-6's, people didn't like the traffic adviser placement. We went back and forth between putting it below the rear spoiler, on top of the spoiler or on the roof.

This is one of the downfalls with a decent slicktop setup, some times it isn't pretty. Especially with a new vehicle that doesn't have a lot of new product out for it.

My main thought is that the four M6's are the only real warning on the back so maximizing their effectiveness is crucial. I'm pretty big on the utilitarian perspective so being effective is more important than being pretty.

Keith K.

May 21, 2010
Western States
John Hearne said:
Aesthetics have been a common complaint with this setup. Besides the M-6's, people didn't like the traffic adviser placement. We went back and forth between putting it below the rear spoiler, on top of the spoiler or on the roof.

This is one of the downfalls with a decent slicktop setup, some times it isn't pretty. Especially with a new vehicle that doesn't have a lot of new product out for it.

My main thought is that the four M6's are the only real warning on the back so maximizing their effectiveness is crucial. I'm pretty big on the utilitarian perspective so being effective is more important than being pretty.

If the SUV had the luggage rack rails, the TA would blend right in.

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
runesson said:
That´s a lot of lights to the rear.
It certainly has the potential too be too much. I could set each head to flash independently at a crazy fast rate and it would be a road hazard.

However, in it's final form, the only thing you'll see is the 4 M-6 flashing in a slow "X" plus the traffic advisor (75 fpm when stationary). There is a lot of space between the TA and the M-6's so the TA should really stand out. The traffic advisor's warning pattern has already been set and will be several double flash 1/2 double flash 1/2 and then several single flash of the whole bar.

The Ion's are steady burn only so they should not be distracting. The Vertex's will be washed out by the M-6's and will only be seen when you lift the hatch. That means that you have five or six flashing lights to the rear (depending on what the TA is doing) plus the minimal spill from the intersectors. Everything red or blue will be synched so hopefully, you get a good out line of the vehicle without being distracting.

I'm hoping it won't be sexy but will be effective.

I´m hoping you have the ability to dim them a night?

Yep, low power will be hooked up and every head, except the interior lightbar will be run off of a ULF-44.

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
I think that there are way to many rear lights there.

Those M6's look aweful. This is why I don't like the new explorers because there is not a good place for putting lights. HAW's are never bright enough. The only good place is the back window but then there isn't anything low.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.