2012 Ram 1500 - Help me update my POV

gotbrains230

Apr 15, 2014
Louisiana
Hello all! I have a 2012 Ram 1500 and I'm looking to add some lights to it, ANY input would be greatly appreciated!

Currently I have 4 red Sirennet linear surface mounts on my brush guard. They do the job but I just want more.

I want to add lights that are going to be more efficient but not look trashy. I WILL NOT have a large cluster of shitty looking unsynced blinding lights on my truck. I've seen lots of POVs in my area and it's ridiculous what some people will do LOL. Anyways, here's what I'm thinking

FRONT:

Feniex Apollo interior lightbar - R-R-R-R-W-W-R-R-R-R

2 Whelen M7, all red, mounted on brush guard

2 Feniex Cannon, all white, mounted in turn signal slot (small slot so it should have a good punch)

SIDE:

2 Feniex T6, red & white, mounted on either side of brush guard

2 Feniex T6, red & white, mounted on either side of rear bumper

REAR:

SNM E66 traffic adviser, all yellow (already installed)

2 Feniex apollo F6, all red, mounted on either side of TA

4 Feniex cannon, 2 red & 2 white, mounted in tail light & reverse slot

I may only install one set of white Feniex cannon in reverse as I don't want too much distraction in the back as I want most attention directed at the TA

Thanks for reading and any and all input is greatly appreciated :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Reactions: Mrlunchbox and Doug

gotbrains230

Apr 15, 2014
Louisiana
Marc M said:
Is your truck 2 or 4 door? Do you have a toolbox and if so what style? What brand of grille guard?
I just posted some pics of the truck but it said it has to be approved by admin. Im not sure I did it right.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
gotbrains230 said:
I just posted some pics of the truck but it said it has to be approved by admin. Im not sure I did it right.

Taken care of. What kind of scene/driving lights are you using?

gotbrains230

Apr 15, 2014
Louisiana
unlisted said:
Taken care of. What kind of scene/driving lights are you using?
Thanks. On the back its 4 - 27w floods and the front is a 37" 234w flood/spot. Both are Chinese shit. That front one will light the world LOL

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I personally can't wait to see it. Looks like it could be a great build. Love the bumper... just add lights and we all will be happy :)

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Your setup sounds good but I would make some equipment changes.

Front:

Whelen Inner Edge XLP Red w/TDs (has Ram specific mount, extremely bright, TIR optics are better through tint)

Whelen M6 R/R (perfect for that grill guard)

Feniex Cannon W/W in fog lights synced with the M6s

Side:

Sirennet LED to the sides of the brush guard

Sirennet LED on the tool box sides

Rear:

E66 (obviously)

Feniex Cannons in the taillights (red brake/white reverse in an x-pattern)

Feniex T6s R/R under the tailgate synced with the cannons

Sync all the perimeter LEDs with a Whelen ULF44. This setup will be cheaper and more effective IMO. The setup you had planned is pretty good but would be better with the changes I mention above.

- Inner Edge XLP vs Apollo interior bar. The Apollo optics are a good design but not ideal for an interior lightbar. The Inner Edge is just stupid bright and very low profile. It costs almost the same as the Apollo and has a Ram specific model.

- Cannons in the foglights vs turn signals. The larger housing will be brighter and take more advantage of the light and won't look cluttered being so close to the grill light and intersection light.

- Mounting the Apollos right next to the T/A will look cluttered. You would be better off with T6s under the tailgate.

If you wanted to, the ULF44 gives you the ability to have one pattern going while responding (I love action flash) then switch to a slower pattern when in park.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
If you have tint on the windshield go with a tir optic. It will go through the tint better. I wouldn't put anything to the sides of the rear bumper. I would go on the sides of the tool box.

I also agree to sync everything with an external flasher. I just put white Cannons in the fogs of my Explorer. I would do the same on your truck.

Reactions: Storm4200

gotbrains230

Apr 15, 2014
Louisiana
Thanks everyone!

I will need something that can get thru tint REALLY GOOD. My whole windshield is tinted 45% and on top of that I have a 16" 5% eyebrow. Illegal you ask? Highly LOL

I was thinking once I get the bar mounted I can cut the tint out around it and remount and tape around it for zero flashback

I'm not convinced I will like the Inner Edge more than the Apollo tho. The Whelen will only have 15 LEDs per side W/O TD vs Feniex 24 LEDs per side. But the Feniex also speads the lights out vs straight forward so I'll have to do some research on that.

I agree with putting some T6 under the tailgate, I'm not a big fan of lots of lights in one place, especially when they're flashing different colors at the same time.

I will move the Cannons to the fog lights. Thanks. And Ill make sure to get that ULF44.

I'll probably go ahead and get the 4 white Cannons and red T6 and get those mounted and work on getting the rest :thumbsup:

And the tint that I have to get thru. You can see the tint cut around the the inspection sticker so that's what I'm dealing with. And that pic is really old so I know it's expired LOL

ai1154.photobucket.com_albums_p531_gotbrains230_tint3.jpg

ai1154.photobucket.com_albums_p531_gotbrains230_tint2.jpg

AllStrobedUp

Jun 1, 2013
Altamonte Springs, Flor
gotbrains230 said:
Thanks everyone!

I will need something that can get thru tint REALLY GOOD. My whole windshield is tinted 45% and on top of that I have a 16" 5% eyebrow. Illegal you ask? Highly LOL

I was thinking once I get the bar mounted I can cut the tint out around it and remount and tape around it for zero flashback

I'm not convinced I will like the Inner Edge more than the Apollo tho. The Whelen will only have 15 LEDs per side W/O TD vs Feniex 24 LEDs per side. But the Feniex also speads the lights out vs straight forward so I'll have to do some research on that.

I agree with putting some T6 under the tailgate, I'm not a big fan of lots of lights in one place, especially when they're flashing different colors at the same time.

I will move the Cannons to the fog lights. Thanks. And Ill make sure to get that ULF44.

I'll probably go ahead and get the 4 white Cannons and red T6 and get those mounted and work on getting the rest :thumbsup:

And the tint that I have to get thru. You can see the tint cut around the the inspection sticker so that's what I'm dealing with. And that pic is really old so I know it's expired LOL

ai1154.photobucket.com_albums_p531_gotbrains230_tint3.jpg

ai1154.photobucket.com_albums_p531_gotbrains230_tint2.jpg

I have a 35% windshield and a 16" 5% brow on my F-150 but have a waiver for tint but that's besides my point. TIR optics will punch through tint MUCH better than any linear or non dish style reflector do to the almost SPOT type pattern the reflector creates. I know from experience. OR you could cut the tint around the light and replace it with black perforated vinyl.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
On my old truck I had just stock tint. I got a Sound Off Pinnacle and it was terrible. I then got a Pegasus (tir optics) and it was big improvement. Instead of having to get tint why not just get a light you can set on your dash? Less hassle.

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
I have a Feniex Pegasus RAM specific in my 2013 RAM and LOVE it!! Fits perfect and very little to no flashback. It moves traffic amazingly well. As for the T-6s, I've strayed away from them. I seemed to have nothing but failures on them so I'm looking into other brands to get my truck lit back up. I'm only running the pegasus for now.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
gotbrains230 said:
Thanks everyone!

That dark of tint is going to kill the output of any interior bar, especially one with optics like the Apollo. I haven't seen an Apollo in person but I have seen a Pegasus and an Inner Edge XLP and the XLP is brighter.

Check out this install that uses an XLP inner edge and sync with a ULF44 set to action flash.

http://elightbars.org/forums/f34/2013-hcsd-tahoe-lives-finally-56150/

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
From one Ram guy to another, if you are going to leave that tint you'd do better with an apollo-2 (or another dash light of your choosing) on the dash and spend the saved money on perimeter lighting.

Honestly no matter what ILB you choose the tint is going to degrade its effectiveness to the point you need to ask if the cool factor of the tint is greater than your need for good frontal warning. My .02.

Love the brush guard.

Crip

Reactions: tsquale and Doug

BAKE19

Jun 1, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa.
I have a 2013 RAM... I'll post up pictures this weekend. I have 2 more IONs coming that should arrive Friday. I just have a blue dual avenger behind the rear view mirror (fits like a glove), 4 blue IONs in the grile, 2 amber Strobes n' More E3s on the toolbox facing rear, a blue slim lighter (TIR) in the back window at the top, and a PA300 hidden away with the air horn wired to a switch. The two additional IONs will be going in the area were the bumper meets the front wheel well for intersections. That will be it... for now at least. The IONs and avenger kick a$$ up front!!

gotbrains230

Apr 15, 2014
Louisiana
I finally got around to doing something lol. I added 2 Whelen M6 on the grille and installed the Feniex storm siren & speaker. I also have 4 Feniex T6 R/W that I plan on installing this weekend. One on both sides of toolbox and one on both side of brush guard. I think I'll be adding 4 more Whelen M6 on the back, 2 red and 2 blue. I'm very impressed with the M6, they're super bright. Still haven't figured out which route I'll be going with the visor bar.

I'm trying to add a couple videos but it's pretty obvious I have no clue what I'm doing. I'm using photobucket and all my videos are mp4

Last edited by a moderator:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Nice truck. Have you considered the FedSig spectralux ILB? I'm mostly a Whelen guy, but I think that lightbar blows every other ILB out of the market.

I'd also consider moving the rigid-type lightstick to the lower portion of the brushguard (just above the LP) b/c I think it looks awkward up there

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
I finally got around to doing something lol. I added 2 Whelen M6 on the grille and installed the Feniex storm siren & speaker. I also have 4 Feniex T6 R/W that I plan on installing this weekend. One on both sides of toolbox and one on both side of brush guard. I think I'll be adding 4 more Whelen M6 on the back, 2 red and 2 blue. I'm very impressed with the M6, they're super bright. Still haven't figured out which route I'll be going with the visor bar.

I'm trying to add a couple videos but it's pretty obvious I have no clue what I'm doing. I'm using photobucket and all my videos are mp4
  Did you consider the R/W Apollo modules vs the split T6? Would be sweet on an alternating pattern of the red and white with white over ride for alley lights.  I know you already have the lights but just an idea. 

May 23, 2013
nc
how much was the spot/flood lights you got on front? need something on my truck

and i liked my awl venom bar i had, ecept i had wrong mounts so i took it out and sold it, never had time to fix it with flashback, but it was way to bright for me to use at night, even behind 35% tint 

anyways, good luck with build, would like to see it once finished

gotbrains230

Apr 15, 2014
Louisiana
Looks great! There isn't a better grill light available IMO. If you are able to, I would definitely add a HLF.
Thanks man. I've been looking at them. I have one on my peterbilt but I'm not sure of the model # but it's a whelen. I have led headlights in my fogs, lows, and highs so I might sync the M6 with the highs, not sure yey

gotbrains230

Apr 15, 2014
Louisiana
I got everything hooked up, now I need help. I'm gonna be adding 2 more M6 to the grille synced in an "x" pattern. Should I put the fogs on the high beam flasher as well? Of course they would be synced in an "x" pattern too. Don't know how blinding that would be as I ran the flasher for the first time last night, but it didn't seem to bother anyone. If I determine it won't be too blinding I'll end up syncing the whole front end. I'll also be adding some cannons to the reverse lights. Now, to the part everyone wants. I had to turn the headlights off for the night video as it was too much for the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR3tLp--qxo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPd_nd5TefY

Last edited by a moderator:

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
I like it but it looks like the HLF might be a bit much at night. I think you need to add something in the windshield, or better yet a lightbar on the backrack. One other thing, the light stick to the rear needs to be on a slower pattern IMO

gotbrains230

Apr 15, 2014
Louisiana
Thanks man. I've been looking into an ILB but idk which one I want yet. I'll change the rear bar to the slower pattern. The pattern it's set to has two speeds. Do you like the pattern. Here's a video of the siren take about 50 ft away. This is why I think the fogs should be on the flasher too. They're pretty much the same brightness since they're all LED bulbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZB0nj9FSmU

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
i think the LED wig wags look fantastic. I think the fogs are too much though. are you gonna have 2 separate X patterns going? 

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
If you're looking for an interior lightbar, go look at my thread "My POV 2013 RAM" in the installs. It's just a few down from this thread. I have the Feniex Pegasus and love it. Fitment is perfect and it works great!

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
If you're looking for an interior lightbar, go look at my thread "My POV 2013 RAM" in the installs. It's just a few down from this thread. I have the Feniex Pegasus and love it. Fitment is perfect and it works great!
Truck looks great.  There is a guy on my Dept that has too much lighting on his truck.  I told him that clean and simple is the way to go and told him to look at yours.

I have an all red Pegasus.  I took the flasher out and synced it with my mirror lights (with a ULF44 of course)  It is a great bar.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.