2013 Charger..... Used Equipment Install ...Finished

Apr 28, 2012
Knox County, ME
Well a local PD bought 2 New 2013 Chargers and i was very excited to find out i got the install jobs on them.... untill i started today. Due to a small budget left after buying 2 new chargers to replace there 08's, I have to reuse all equipment from the 08 charger on the new one.... and i dont know if you all know there are some changes in the new chargers....... i have been doing alot of retro fitting today and what a pain in the but..... all tips on making the install easier would be great. So for now heres pics of some of the install. and yes the grills are crappy knock off's ps. not my choice.

419284_3857835089959_1512356220_n.jpg

393268_3857836449993_1123672966_n.jpg

527119_3857832049883_1096896928_n.jpg

560550_3857833329915_1967909642_n.jpg

260114_3861421459616_675076721_n.jpg

251637_3861422979654_1911666789_n.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Well it's not THAT bad !! ;)

I suppose you need all cars in your shop (the old and the new ones) simultaneously to operate the change over.... How does the Chief run his own patrol biz if all cars are with you ?

Apr 12, 2012
NC / TN / CT / SD
Biggest pet pev of mine when reusing old equipment is when shops get lazy and dont clean everything.

It takes me maybe 5 mins to buff a lens and IMHO its well worth it not only dose it make the car look better it will make you and your company look like you care ( as you should )

Not trying to imply you arent cleaning everything just stating my opinion on changeovers

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
I would change the grill lights around so that it doesn't have the xmas tree look. Meaning...put the top LED's out the to outter parts of the grill and the lower LED's toward the center. Sync them up so that its criss/cross.

new used charger lights.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 28, 2012
Knox County, ME
NFD-102 said:
I would change the grill lights around so that it doesn't have the xmas tree look. Meaning...put the top LED's out the to outter parts of the grill and the lower LED's toward the center. Sync them up so that its criss/cross.

Chief wants them all on a annoying random

Apr 28, 2012
Knox County, ME
CHIEFOPS said:
Did you pull the grill without removing the header from the car?

We just took apart the top and there was enough room to mount and work without taking the grill off. and thats the lower fog light

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Neither am I, in any car ! Even if drilling is a no-go such as with leased cars, there are other ways...

There's gotta be a reason ?

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
DefianceEngineCompany said:
i was very excited to find out i got the install jobs on them.... untill i started today.......I have to reuse all equipment from the 08 charger on the new one.... i have been doing alot of retro fitting today and what a pain in the but.....

These are the opportunities that will help make you stand out as an installer. Many agencies have to reuse equipment due to budgets. You're willingness and attention to detail can go along way here. I saw someone mention taking a few minutes to buff lenses and clean the equipment. Good advice. Great opportunity.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
CrystalCoastUpfitters said:
Biggest pet pev of mine when reusing old equipment is when shops get lazy and dont clean everything.

It takes me maybe 5 mins to buff a lens and IMHO its well worth it not only dose it make the car look better it will make you and your company look like you care ( as you should )

Not trying to imply you arent cleaning everything just stating my opinion on changeovers

This! I have seen some shops swap a nasty Liberty with faded lenses and bug guts on it from one car to another and nasty sticky consoles just the same way. Out of the old car, in to the new one. No cleaning or anything. If I were the customer, breaking down the console and the equipment within it and giving it all a good once over would go a LONG way with me. I am sure the agencies would appreciate it as well.

My big pet peeve, aside from the one mentioned, is when agencies dont clean outgoing cars prior to auction. I know they are out going but clean them up some. Get those inmates or trustys out there and clean them.

Apr 28, 2012
Knox County, ME
DEPUTYSTEPHENSON said:
Do you use some type of glue or something on those suction cups because I know those radar heads aren't light?

This radar head is very small and light. I custom mounted it to a avenger sution cup mount and it works great

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
ai.imgur.com_czsUd.jpg

You should put LAWs there, I notice a severe lack of intersection coverage.

Also, blue/blue split is unforgivable.

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
FireEMSPolice said:
This! I have seen some shops swap a nasty Liberty with faded lenses and bug guts on it from one car to another and nasty sticky consoles just the same way. Out of the old car, in to the new one. No cleaning or anything. If I were the customer, breaking down the console and the equipment within it and giving it all a good once over would go a LONG way with me. I am sure the agencies would appreciate it as well.

My big pet peeve, aside from the one mentioned, is when agencies dont clean outgoing cars prior to auction. I know they are out going but clean them up some. Get those inmates or trustys out there and clean them.

+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1

But I can understand when auction cars are not clean. At least around here. Most departments are so large, they do not have facilities where inmates can be. IE jails are jails. We have very large counties here, jails are in one city, or cities, and vehicle maintenance are in others. The county sheriff here, also uses a upfitter to strip the vehicle. The upfitter charges by the hour, and spending an extra 20-30 min cleaning the car maybe an extra 40-50 bucks for a car that will never be used again, that will add up in the long run when the they have a fleet of 5,000 plus vehicles. But some do.

Hell it is my pet peeve to be in a dirty car I have to drive at work. I try to keep it clean and will wash it, even if I am only in it for a shift.

We have also seen totaled auction cars, with blood and everything else in it.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
PTRJason said:
+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1

But I can understand when auction cars are not clean. At least around here. Most departments are so large, they do not have facilities where inmates can be. IE jails are jails. We have very large counties here, jails are in one city, or cities, and vehicle maintenance are in others. The county sheriff here, also uses a upfitter to strip the vehicle. The upfitter charges by the hour, and spending an extra 20-30 min cleaning the car maybe an extra 40-50 bucks for a car that will never be used again, that will add up in the long run when the they have a fleet of 5,000 plus vehicles. But some do.

Hell it is my pet peeve to be in a dirty car I have to drive at work. I try to keep it clean and will wash it, even if I am only in it for a shift.

We have also seen totaled auction cars, with blood and everything else in it.

That's correct.

Besides, I'm not sure that in an auction environment they would get that much of a better price if the car has been detailed. Taxi companies "fleet managers" don't give a hoot... ;)

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Not a fan of the suction cups at all. I use double sided foam tape or brackets for mounting things, suction cups are too risky and even says it in the owner manuals of dashlights.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
This is the kinda crap I am talking about. Brand new cruiser, lightbar swapped over without so much as an attempt to clean the lenses. This is my buddies new issue. The body guy said its hopeless to clean the lenses. BS. May not make them look new, but they can certainly be made better.

VCSO Interceptor Sedan.jpg

exphillycop

Apr 18, 2012
Holmes Beach, Florida
My dept has been reusing the equiptment for years, the light bars look horrible. I used the 3M headlight cleaner on my car and painted the steelies satin black. Looks 100% better. Also my department completely details their cars before auction by a professional detailer. The cars only have 50 to 60 K on them......good bargain if anyone wants a nice crown vic.....

longboat101.jpg

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
I don't see why a quick hit to the lenses with a buffing compound and rotary wheel would eat up too much time. Hell, it would at least make the output brighter and crisper I would think, but hey, I am just a vollie FF that has done several "fix its" for folks that can't figure it out themselves. I am no professional by any means. lol!!

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
RyanZ71 said:
They are so proud of their new chargers, yet they got V-6's? what a shame :(

300 horsepower, 31mpg highway, and you're complaining? This is the 21st century, V6's in full-size cars aren't the gutless trash they used to be. Hell, the F150's new top of the line engine (behind the expensive and limited 6.2L V8) is a twin-turbo V6 that's just 5 horsepower short of the the lower-end 5.0L V8, and 1 MPG short of the bottom-shelf V6.

2011 Ford F-150 Lariat EcoBoost First Test - Motor Trend

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
How hard and how expensive is it to just purchase and install new lenses, lol. If my car was assigned to only me I would at least volunteer purchasing lenses myself if they wouldn't, that's only because I have OCD, haha.

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
lafd55 said:
How hard and how expensive is it to just purchase and install new lenses, lol. If my car was assigned to only me I would at least volunteer purchasing lenses myself if they wouldn't, that's only because I have OCD, haha.
It can be when the pd doesnt even want to put new equipment in a car. $0 vs $100, theyll choose the $0. Sometimes when I have to reuse lightbars, I will flip the lenses so the yellow fading is on the bottom and give them a quick buffing. It can make all the difference.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
theroofable said:
It can be when the pd doesnt even want to put new equipment in a car. $0 vs $100, theyll choose the $0. Sometimes when I have to reuse lightbars, I will flip the lenses so the yellow fading is on the bottom and give them a quick buffing. It can make all the difference.
I understand the 0 v. 100 dollar thing, I'm just saying for some departments that are just lazy, I'm sure there is a few out there that are not bean counters but keep reusing equipment. I'm just throwing out my 2 cents.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
exphillycop said:
My dept has been reusing the equiptment for years, the light bars look horrible. I used the 3M headlight cleaner on my car and painted the steelies satin black. Looks 100% better. Also my department completely details their cars before auction by a professional detailer. The cars only have 50 to 60 K on them......good bargain if anyone wants a nice crown vic.....

50 K ? Even in miles, it's nothing !!! Car's barely broken in... :eyebulge:

As you say these must make for good bargains when auctioned !

james23

Nov 14, 2012
al, USA
I experienced Car Stereo installation, starting by lifting hood of the my vehicle and disconnect the negative battery cable from the negative battery terminal. Than I remove the dash panels around my factory stereo unit. Pulling my stereo from the dashboard and disconnect the stereo. Inserting a faceplate adapter specific to make stereo mounting dock. Plug the wiring harness adapter leads into the corresponding outlets on the back of the new stereo. That all my experience.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.