2013 Ford F750 rollback wrecker radio install

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Lol, I was going to say... 6 for RX and one for TX... Just like Toronto... Mind you some have 10-15 radios in a single truck up here!

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
unityrv26 said:
Have they ever heard of a scanner????

One of them appears to be a scanner...

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
unityrv26 said:
Have they ever heard of a scanner????

You know they have this thing here called a "Rotational Wrecker List" takes the need out of having all those radios. Each dept has a list of tow companies they have when the need for them arises... :undecided:

Wonders if they get Call Jumpers, like mother jugs and speed... :D

Now all they need is a little flag on each ant.. nice looking truck though... ;)

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Looks like a well planned tow, definitely love the paint job especially on the hood. Definitely confused about all the radios, I understand it's one monitoring each PD in the area, but why not just have the scanner they have plus the radio to talk to the shop. I know personally by me there are certain tow companies that can operate certain areas such as highways, and each police department has a list of tow companies and they start at the top working their way down until someone can come tow the cars away. Sounds like a form of free-lancing in the tow business.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
I could see having an actual radio as opposed to a scanner being useful for the trunked systems. Allows you to ping off a tower to keep a talkgroup active when you're actually out of range of a scanner. As far as the actual number of radios... damn I hope they transfer those from unit to unit when they replace a truck otherwise that's a metric fuck-ton of money being spent in a moderately sized fleet.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
txff914 said:
What ever wreckers show up on scene they have a county token they throw in at hat and pull how ever many they need out of it.

When my father was with the Harris County SO, after he'd pick a token or two (as many as were needed), he'd tell the rest to skedaddle or they'd get ticketed. :thumbsup:

delcofirecop

Jul 22, 2012
usa pa
im just curious if half the guys who are on here bashing the wrecker drivier for scanning police calls have ever done towing or know that in texas the police are aware of how the tow trucks get the calls and that is pretty much an accepted pratice.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
delcofirecop said:
im just curious if half the guys who are on here bashing the wrecker drivier for scanning police calls have ever done towing or know that in texas the police are aware of how the tow trucks get the calls and that is pretty much an accepted pratice.

I haven't read a single comment in this thread that bashes the wrecker driver for scanning police calls. Its pretty common practice, everywhere... :weird:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
man, i know that they bank on getting gigs, but that would give me a headache listening to 7 radios transmitting simultaneously for my shift

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
its actually against the law in florida to have them call jumping.

Wow so many radios is nuts! Install looks solid though, but I agree... it would give me a headache.

unityrv26

Mar 4, 2012
Michigan
delcofirecop said:

Having dispatched for a major towing company (one of my first jobs) I know how things work with other companies "jumping calls" and how dispatching for police agencies works on a rotation. We even had a company that would listen to our radio on their scanner and jump our calls before we arrived, so we had to go to nextel 2way phones for that particular area.

I think you are missing the point....we (or at least I am) are making fun of having to have 6 radios to monitor in a single truck. I would have to imagine that at one time or another all or a good number of those radios are receiving "broadcasts" at the same time and I am sure it isn't all for wrecker requests. And I don't see a way for the driver to mute or turn up/down each radio, so I can only guess they are on at a high blast. Makes more sense to me to have dispatch monitoring those frequencies on one or two scanners and telling the drivers where the action is.

What I see happening here is a few companies racing dangerously to be the first wrecker on sight to get the call.

Beyond that, I would have to say it is definately a Texas thing. ;)

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
unityrv26 said:
Beyond that, I would have to say it is definately a Texas thing. ;)

It actually amazed me that they don't have a rotation, everyone I know who owns a tow company says its illegal to do that type of thing. I will look into this to quench my curiosity. I have never heard of any agency not having a rotation at all.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
MEVS06 said:
It actually amazed me that they don't have a rotation, everyone I know who owns a tow company says its illegal to do that type of thing. I will look into this to quench my curiosity. I have never heard of any agency not having a rotation at all.

You NEED to come to Canada then and check out the GTA/Toronto highways and the tow rigs/policies up here. Its "first on scene" policy around these parts, which makes for some very dangerous driving. Average amount of radios in highway (call chaser) tow trucks? about 10.. all on FULL BLAST!...

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
MEVS06 said:

Same here. 1.5 million people, 3000+ person police department and wreckers are on rotation.

Andy L.

Jun 16, 2010
Michigan
Its a clean install but what I can't understand is why the customer wouldn't have wanted them mounted in a center console? I know in my car with one radio I find myself adjusting the volume frequently. Just seems a center console would allow for that and keep the radios up off the floor.

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
In California it is the opposite. In the vehicle code, it is illegal for tow trucks to stop at accidents and stranded motorists in an attempt to get business. They must be called and requested to the scene, or flagged down, but they can not chase calls or drive around looking for people that are broke down.

We have a freeway service patrol that is a program that the state contracts with companies in major metro areas and they patrol just the freeways for broke down people, and their job is to just clear roadways at accidents, give free gas to get a vehicle off the road, and to tow off of the freeway, they only go down to the next exit and drop the car there. They can not charge and they are paid for by the state and the CHP. They are dispatched by the CHP.

Other then the FSP tow companies can not stop at disabled vehicles unless they were called. There are extreme situations where Cal-Trans can declare that all disabled vehiles must be removed and the drivers have no choice. It is really only used in mountain areas where plowing or snow can cause a major hazard to someone that is broke down.

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
PTRJason said:
In California it is the opposite. In the vehicle code, it is illegal for tow trucks to stop at accidents and stranded motorists in an attempt to get business. They must be called and requested to the scene, or flagged down, but they can not chase calls or drive around looking for people that are broke down.

We have a freeway service patrol that is a program that the state contracts with companies in major metro areas and they patrol just the freeways for broke down people, and their job is to just clear roadways at accidents, give free gas to get a vehicle off the road, and to tow off of the freeway, they only go down to the next exit and drop the car there. They can not charge and they are paid for by the state and the CHP. They are dispatched by the CHP.

Other then the FSP tow companies can not stop at disabled vehicles unless they were called. There are extreme situations where Cal-Trans can declare that all disabled vehiles must be removed and the drivers have no choice. It is really only used in mountain areas where plowing or snow can cause a major hazard to someone that is broke down.

We have something similer here "road Rangers" they respond to accidents as well for traffic control.

road ranger.jpg

They also allow paid business advertising on thier trucks..

Moe24

Apr 2, 2013
Queens, NY
Nice clean install. I've been waiting since Xmas for my F650, just got the cab last week now the bed is getting installed.

Oh man I fell sorry for who ever fills that that truck up. Looks like a gas V10. No clean ideal sticker, Gets 5.7 mpg hgwy lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Tlauden

Apr 3, 2011
Halifax, PA
Very clean install!!! Love the overhead consol, is that a 750 thing or aftermarket? That would work real nice in my truck for switches and air guages!!

Moe24

Apr 2, 2013
Queens, NY
Tlauden said:
Very clean install!!! Love the overhead consol, is that a 750 thing or aftermarket? That would work real nice in my truck for switches and air guages!!

That consol is standard on the F650-750 extended cab, that's where the air bump, and engine break switches are placed, the gauges are custom orderd when when truck is build. Maybe their slandered now in 2013

Tlauden

Apr 3, 2011
Halifax, PA
Moe24 said:
That consol is standard on the F650-750 extended cab, that's where the air bump, and engine break switches are placed, the gauges are custom orderd when when truck is build. Maybe their slandered now in 2013

Thanks!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.