2013 Ford Taurus Limited - Anyone ever install anything?

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Anyone ever install anything in a 2013 Ford Taurus, specifically the Limited? I have a Uniden BCD996XT that needs installed in one, but I am at a loss of options due to the factory console.

998121_10202148228244773_854419788_n.jpg

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
Never done one, but I'd start with a BC-RH96 from Scanner Master. You can forget mounting the entire radio, unless you want to hang it off the side of the console (fugly).

With the remote head in hand, I'd probably start looking at that coin tray just ahead of the armrest.

Whatever you do is likely going to require some fairly substantial custom work... at least if you want something that looks decent.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
tvsjr said:
I'd probably start looking at that coin tray just ahead of the armrest.

Those are dual cup holders.

I really dont want to hang or mount it off the side of the console. Before I throw down the money on a remote head, I need a plan.

There is a little space between the top of the screen and the bottom of the dash speaker. I wonder if I could have a custom mount made that takes up the space of the remote head and the mount uses factory screws that goes behind the trim somehow??

1260860_10202148228684784_1167022838_n.jpg

Maybe buy the flat shelf type upper dash piece from ford, the same one that goes into the PI Sedan. Then just install some form of aftermarket speaker there and the scanner. Or just get the remote mount kit and put the control in the console

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
Something between the radio and speaker is probably your best bet, but that's almost certainly going to require custom fabrication.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
I dont know anyone who does custom fabrication to make a mount and uses factory screws.

I cant get rid of the dash speaker. Where in the console would I put it? If I put it forward of the shifter, I lose my 12V plug. If I put it on the side, its not the best angle to read the display and lose a cupholder. If I put it behind the shifter, its too far back and I lose 2 cupholders..lol

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
twodogs603 said:
I have a remote head, and its mounted just above my rear view mirror in my Toyota Camry.

Yikes! That looks like alot right there. I dont think that would even work in the Taurus.

alxjmrk

May 25, 2010
NC, USA
I'm surprised in you for not thinking about that before hand. Of all people... buy the car that fits the radio.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
alxjmrk said:
I'm surprised in you for not thinking about that before hand. Of all people... buy the car that fits the radio.

Was going to buy an Interceptor Sedan, but I got a better deal on this one and has a crap ton of options. Never imagined that this would happen :bonk: :duh:

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
FireEMSPolice said:
Was going to buy an Interceptor Sedan, but I got a better deal on this one and has a crap ton of options. Never imagined that this would happen :bonk: :duh:

Failing to plan... planning to fail...

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
tvsjr said:
Failing to plan... planning to fail...

I wouldnt go that far.

I will go to a local install shop and pick their brain. Maybe they can fab something up and offer suggestions. I will post what they come up with.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
I am thinking of just removing the single cup holder next to the shifter and seeing if it will fit there with a Jotto, Havis or Troy plate (not sure which yet - suggestions?). I dont need 5 cup holders really (1 in each door, 3 in the console) up front.

Taurus Cupholder 3.JPG

Taurus Cupholder.JPG

Taurus Cupholder 2.JPG

QuickSilv3r

Jul 3, 2012
Southwest CT
so I have not mounted a remote radio head, but I have done some dremel based custom work that came out very nice in a number of vehicles.

in my DD Legacy gt, I removed the ashtray and 12v assembly and custom fabbed a mount for my Sirius head unit behind the ashtray door. I was going for the stealth look. I could have flush mounted a larger radio or control unit there as well.

I relocated the 12v plug to the glovebox. I installed an ignition switched 2 socket 12v behind the dash with the phone charger and gps power cord and ran these wires to their required locations. (radar detector is a hardwired V1 :) )

Having driven a rental ToreAzz a number of times, I'm shocked at how tight everything is and how little room there is.

That being said, if you're willing to spend some time with the dremel and some creativity, you might be able to mount in front of the shifter and not lose functionality.

Jan 10, 2011
New Jersey
if you go with a remote head id go with the glove box for the remote and under the seat for the scanner. i mounted mine under my seat and put a speaker on the back of the center console it works prefectly. i have everything programed that i need and since ive been listening for so long i can tell the difference between the different channels

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Mounting anything under the seat is out because there are vents there that heat/cool both front seats aside from the usual power seat hardware underneath.

I will visit a local upfitter for their ideas once things get back to normal at work.

bkn74

Sep 7, 2010
metropolis IL
you can also check with a local stereo installation shop. if you have one in your area thats halfway decent they can usually fab up some awesome stuff.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
I finally got a chance to go to Public Safety Concepts. Their advice was to hang it off the side of the console. The have done some Police Upgrade consoles on the Interceptors, and a couple of retails. They dont want to remove the cupholder adjacent to the shifter. By the conversation I had with this guy, he didnt strike me as too sure. The more experienced guy was busy having issues with a Caprice.

dasuriano

Sep 14, 2010
Colorado
I helped a coworker install an astro spectra in his Taurus. He went the w3 route, but still a pain to take the console apart to run the wires from the trunk and even worse to run them from the battery.

unger027

Jan 21, 2012
whitehall,PA
I have a 2011 limited. i didn't mount my scanner in but my switch box i mounted in my center console compartment its easy! i pulled out the cigarette lighter out and utilized the pre run factory fused 12 volt source plus just pop off a few pieces of trim and it was never even there!!!! I love the way it turned out but its alot of trim to take off when running lights but thankfully its done now and looks awesome!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
unger027 said:
I have a 2011 limited. i didn't mount my scanner in but my switch box i mounted in my center console compartment its easy! i pulled out the cigarette lighter out and utilized the pre run factory fused 12 volt source plus just pop off a few pieces of trim and it was never even there!!!! I love the way it turned out but its alot of trim to take off when running lights but thankfully its done now and looks awesome!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!

Pics?

Jake Duda

May 19, 2013
Columbia, SC
I've done a couple civ explorers a last year, and I want to say the grommet was still in the position it's in for the interceptors, pass footwell, behind glove box, in front of door jamb, flat area.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Some are suggesting this location on the Police Interceptor Sedan

PIS Pass through.jpg

I couldnt find it in my retail Taurus. Is there a more direct route like there was on the CVPI?

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
So after a few months of ownership, what's your opinion on the Ford Taurus, and more specifically the Limited trim package? I came across a Ford Taurus Limited at a local dealer and was going to look at it. The price is decent, the miles are super low, and the options looked nice. A big thing for me (obviously) would be installing emergency vehicle lighting and at least a controller.

I just want to get your perspective on it since you're probably the most relevant source to speak with since you have the same car and are trying to upfit it

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Tom said:
So after a few months of ownership, what's your opinion on the Ford Taurus, and more specifically the Limited trim package? I came across a Ford Taurus Limited at a local dealer and was going to look at it. The price is decent, the miles are super low, and the options looked nice. A big thing for me (obviously) would be installing emergency vehicle lighting and at least a controller.

I just want to get your perspective on it since you're probably the most relevant source to speak with since you have the same car and are trying to upfit it

I will PM you so as to keep this thread on topic

fisher362

Dec 11, 2013
Missouri
There is a good install on YouTube from sirennet on a Taurus. And another where someone cut the bottom out of the middle flip up switch compartment and put a radio face there. both videos look good for ideas!

And there is another thread on here with pictures that talks about grill swapping with a police interceptor's honeycomb grill. Also good ideas.

I installed one, also. I might have pictures, if you're still around, I'll look; reply to this post. I dremeled out the black plastic cover of the wire raceway under the driver side windshield wiper, to make an access door to get to the wireway it covered. Then i fed 2 #12 wires and 4 #18 wires into the connecting rubber sleeve to get into the cabin. They all fit snugly but comfortably. I then wire tired the cover back on. Looked good, took about an hour. I put my switches in that same compartment above the gear shifter.

Also, i got a Whelen beta siren box under the drivers seat. It cleared the mechanics of the electric seat and the vent. I believe it sat under the vent. But you are right: no spot for any equipment! I came up with a circuit to interface the paddle shifters on the steering wheel for manual siren and air horn. When the siren is off, the paddle shifters act normal. That was an extra i had a fun time doing.

Good looking car compared to the dodge charger or impala. But i would fire the design engineer that choose the overly complex projector style high beams so you can't wig-wag them during night. And i refuse to drill the light housings anymore : $700 per light if you ruin it. NO THANKS! And Ford's own wig wag solution (LED parking lights) is so terrible, i told customers to not order it. Save the money and go for push bumper LEDs)

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
I put the grille swap pics in that thread. I have a SHO grillle on my Limited.

I got the whole drilled. You need to remove the blower motor cover (PI Sedans do not have this) and reach up with your drill in the top right corner (as if sitting inside the car). My hole is drilled there. Its hard for me to get a pic of it but no need to remove wheel well skirts or anything like that. It is direct to the engine.

Mounting stuff is the next challenge

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.