2013 Ford Utility Interceptor

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
I assisted in this install of a 2013 Ford Utility Interceptor...it's my father in law's ride, so he did most of it. Portion of the pictures have been distorded due to dept. policy. Equipment installed:

CenCom Gold

Stationary Radar Front/Rear

Passenger side single cage

M16/870 mount behind driver's seat

VHF Radio

RS Scanner

Whelen ION's in grille, rear window, bottom of rear hatch (mounted by factory)

Whelen Justice

2 glass mount antennas

Unity Post mount spot light w/ Whelen 8* LED Upgrade

FRONT:

antenna.jpg

dial 911 2.jpg

dial 911.jpg

justice (2).jpg

justice (3).jpg

justice.jpg

rear 2.jpg

rear light.jpg

rear lights.jpg

rear radar.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
MPD 818 said:
Umm ok.

Where are the light bar cables going to? Any interior pics?
Cables went in through the rear of the roof where the CenCom is. No, we had got it finished in time for him to go on duty and then a domestic was dispatched. I plan on getting some next time I'm up there.

kenton1979 said:
haha, those videos crack me up, i am not sure if i understand them.
Do explain, what cracks you up? Maybe I'm missing something...

fireman616wfd said:
I was wondering the same thing.. ?? :no:

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
2013, Ford did not release any 2012 NGPI's. Cone to think of it, Ford didn't have a 2012 PPV for sale in North America.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Yep, The last Crown Vic was a 2011 (there were 2012's built and shipped to the middle east), and nothing pursuit rated from Ford in the 2012 model year. Look at all the other NGPI's on here, they are 2013's.

Decent looking vehicle, for a bloated car based Explorer! Longer vidoe is desired, nothing really noticable in 8 seconds, the rear window lights didnt come on!

calebsheltonmed23 said:
Do explain, what cracks you up? Maybe I'm missing something...

First video was 20 seconds long and could have been 5 seconds long. The second video was an up close of the lightbar and then the back, no rear deck lights. I just mean the videos could have been better thought out.

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
HILO said:
Yep, The last Crown Vic was a 2011 (there were 2012's built and shipped to the middle east), and nothing pursuit rated from Ford in the 2012 model year. Look at all the other NGPI's on here, they are 2013's.

Decent looking vehicle, for a bloated car based Explorer! Longer vidoe is desired, nothing really noticable in 8 seconds, the rear window lights didnt come on!
Ahh...makes sense...title changed accordingly! Thanks!

MPD 818 said:
That makes even less sense.
The CenCom PS is in the rear of the vehicle, so we ran it through the rear of the vehicle. Maybe when I take more pics it will make more sense.

kenton1979 said:
First video was 20 seconds long and could have been 5 seconds long. The second video was an up close of the lightbar and then the back, no rear deck lights. I just mean the videos could have been better thought out.

Oh...well yeah they sucked..I just posted what I had at the time. Sounds like I probably should have waited to post the stuff till it was all sorted out, but o'well. What's done is done! I will attempt to get a better video when I get up there though. The reason the rears didn't come on is because he shut them off before I was done...he's not very patient. lol

Thanks for all the comments!

calebsheltonmed23 said:
Ahh...makes sense...title changed accordingly! Thanks!

The CenCom PS is in the rear of the vehicle, so we ran it through the rear of the vehicle. Maybe when I take more pics it will make more sense.

Oh...well yeah they sucked..I just posted what I had at the time. Sounds like I probably should have waited to post the stuff till it was all sorted out, but o'well. What's done is done! I will attempt to get a better video when I get up there though. The reason the rears didn't come on is because he shut them off before I was done...he's not very patient. lol

Thanks for all the comments!

All reasonable answers. No problems but I am sure I speak for everyone when i say please post some good videos when you have a chance. Maybe some inside pics also.

I always wonder what the justification of the lightbar cable running in a non conventional way is. I would like to see pics of where you took it inside the vehicle.

Thanks

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
kenton1979 said:
All reasonable answers. No problems but I am sure I speak for everyone when i say please post some good videos when you have a chance. Maybe some inside pics also.

I always wonder what the justification of the lightbar cable running in a non conventional way is. I would like to see pics of where you took it inside the vehicle.

Thanks

I agree. I have many pet peeves in the install section, so I completely understand that..in fact, I'm a hypocrit on a few of them. lol. We just ran it through the back hatch...best I can explain it without pics, but I will take some when I get a chance. We did it that way because they didn't want holes in the roof, hence the glass mount antennas! :eek: They suck to say the least, but they aren't a huge jurisdiction, so it works for them.

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
rear 2.jpg

I agree. I have many pet peeves in the install section, so I completely understand that..in fact, I'm a hypocrit on a few of them. lol. We just ran it through the back hatch...best I can explain it without pics, but I will take some when I get a chance. We did it that way because they didn't want holes in the roof, hence the glass mount antennas! They suck to say the least, but they aren't a huge jurisdiction, so it works for them.

I dont care if they want holes or not, that is a no no. There are other ways to get around drilling holes, running it through the door jam is asking for trouble. Also what department is this that they let the officers do all their own work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
MPD 818 said:
View attachment 35380

I dont care if they want holes or not, that is a no no. There are other ways to get around drilling holes, running it through the door jam is asking for trouble. Also what department is this that they let the officers do all their own work?

They were going to have the dealership do the install, but requested he do it instead. It saved the department money, so I helped install some of the stuff while I was there (mounting the light bar was one, running the cable I did not do). After he did that I advised him that with opening and closing the hatch that it will eventually wear it out..he said he doesn't plan on opening it very often, and he doesn't have anything back there, so I would say he's telling the truth. I do agree that it could have been done a different way, but I only assisted with the install...if it were up to me, it would have been done differently. I put a total of maybe 4 hours into it, with him and other dept staff helping also.

Jordan_TCFD

May 22, 2010
Chattanooga,TN, Bryant,
35283d1341780619-2013-ford-utility-interceptor-rear-lights.jpg

What is with the shroud? Are those the Ford Ion's?

Jordan,TCFD

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Letting officers install their own lights? Wow... Also, glass mount antennas suck. Why cant two holes be drilled into the dept vehicle? Do it the right way the first time. Well at least the lightbar is strapped down. Pictures of the inside would be good.

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
Jordan said:
35283d1341780619-2013-ford-utility-interceptor-rear-lights.jpg

What is with the shroud? Are those the Ford Ion's?

Jordan,TCFD
Yes, they were factory installed. They are also on the inside of the hatch.

theroofable said:
Letting officers install their own lights? Wow... Also, glass mount antennas suck. Why cant two holes be drilled into the dept vehicle? Do it the right way the first time. Well at least the lightbar is strapped down. Pictures of the inside would be good.
Ummm...I know a handful of counties that allow them to install their own lights. Not every install shop is cajunblitz or code3installs. A lot of the vehicles would be better set on fire than go to half the places around here that install lights. I understand glass mount antennas suck..read my earlier post...I'm aware. Because they didn't want to...I'm not the chief, nor do I make the decisions for the install. They told him what could/could not be done...we followed that. They also supplied the equipment. No NMO or lip mount antennas..just glass mount. Pictures of the inside are to follow. Read more about that in upper posts.

jrw14493 said:
Window antenna for VHF radio!?
Yes, see above posts. I am fully aware they suck.

For the rest of eLb to read: I was not paid to do this vehicle, nor was I hired. I simply lended my assistance to help install this vehicle. I did approximately 1/14 of this install. I understand it is not perfect. I know there is a wire ran in the door jam, I know there are glass mount antennas, it would take a severely ignorant person to not realize that they are anything but. If it solves the problem, I am sorry for the bad things with this install. I will answer questions, but please refer to the other 20 posts about the wire and antennas. If there is other questions about the install, do ask if this doesn't answer it.

***Also, look at my other installs..any of you who have seen my other installs will realize this is not my work in it's entirety. Thanks!***

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.