2013 Hyundai Sonata SE POV Install

movi3king

Jun 29, 2012
New York
Hey guys heres a recent install i did on a 2013 Sonata SE.

Sorry in advance for the amateur video shoot, just still trying to figure out how to take decent videos of flashing lights etc.

Enjoy and comment!

(Parts list to come soon)

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
movi3king said:
Hey guys heres a recent install i did on a 2013 Sonata SE.
Sorry in advance for the amateur video shoot, just still trying to figure out how to take decent videos of flashing lights etc.

Enjoy and comment!

(Parts list to come soon)

Hey, what county is this in? I've never seen a green/blue/red POV combo like this. I'm guessing that it's a VAS member (because of the green front) and that it's somewhere in the Long Island area (due to their very liberal use of whatever colors they want). I'm not gonna comment on the legality of it (to avoid getting into the whole "well, it's technically not legal but it's okay cuz a cop hasn't said anything yet" threads again), so my only 0.02 are slowing down the rear LAW patterns down (slow to the rear is less blinding and less pink blur), and change the grill lights to solid flash ;-)

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
I'm not sure on the legality of it, but I've got a personal problem with green to the front and R/B to the rear. Also, from previous discussions I believe that the NYS law technically only allows blue to the rear of the vehicle. If that's the case, then I really have an issue with this...

Overall, I'm not a fan of the color choices, but it looks like you have decent coverage of lighting for a courtesy light state.

Nov 7, 2011
New England
pdk9 said:
Hey, what county is this in? I've never seen a green/blue/red POV combo like this. I'm guessing that it's a VAS member (because of the green front) and that it's somewhere in the Long Island area (due to their very liberal use of whatever colors they want). I'm not gonna comment on the legality of it (to avoid getting into the whole "well, it's technically not legal but it's okay cuz a cop hasn't said anything yet" threads again), so my only 0.02 are slowing down the rear LAW patterns down (slow to the rear is less blinding and less pink blur), and change the grill lights to solid flash ;-)

Totally agree. I think if its a green setup, you ought to keep the green all around (but again, I have no idea of your laws).

Front would be much more effective if you had the grille lights on solid and in an x-pattern with the fogs

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
foxtrot5 said:
Also, from previous discussions I believe that the NYS law technically only allows blue to the rear of the vehicle.....
Yes. To clarify, NYS V&T law only allows blue (360) for members of a VFD/VFC. However, a few years back, they amended the law, so that blue could be added to the rear only of an authorized EV (vehicles authorized to have a siren and drive code 3, such as department vehicles, VFD chiefs, DOH-approved "fly cars," etc.), which previously only used red/clear. For members of a VAS, only a green light is allowed; like VFD/VFC POV's, they are not authorized to have HAWs, HLF, TLF, clear, etc (although you will see people do it)

To be honest, my biggest thing here is just the confusion that it would prob cause people when seeing that G/B/R color combo.

Last edited by a moderator:

movi3king

Jun 29, 2012
New York
Thanks guys appreciate the constructive criticism.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and suggestions and i will be making some changes to the front grill pattern and overall... (i originally wanted solid on solid flash pattern instead of splits but thats what the customer wanted etc...)

Overall side coverage for me is a big deal and i always try to concentrate on that on an install if the customer agrees to it. The fogs are fully visible from a 90 degree angel to the front of the car and then again you have the side windows etc. Customer may add more to the back in the future but overall he is extremely satisfied.

AS far as the legality of the green in front and the red and blue on the sides and back; my county gave it the ok so we do what we can to cover ourselves on the sides and back etc.

I appreciate everyone's concern though.

Regarding the rear hideaways. The pattern will stick for now. There is no pink blur even though it may appear like there is due to the video quality.

Keep those comments coming while i think of what i want to do for my next install :)

Have a great weekend. :) :) :)

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Biggest thing to start definitely agree on changing the grill light patterns to solid vs solid. The overall layout is not bad and it does seem like good all around coverage. Biggest thing as others have mentioned is light color; and while you say your county gave it the OK, it's not really for the county to OK unless they are giving you written authorization. I'm not trying to get into an argument here, just trying to help out. Blue is reserved for volunteer fire to the front and all authorized emergency vehicles to the rear only(although some agencies do have it in the front), red for authorized emergency vehicles and green for volunteer EMS. I do volunteer fire which is why I have blue on my car, and work EMS. I looked into getting my car registered as a flycar except that none of the agencies I'm with want to hence no red. The county again unless they are giving you written authorization doesn't decide who gets to run what colors, the state does. I know green isn't the best of emergency colors and a lot of people don't know what it means, but I would just stick to that and throw some amber in the rear and get rid of the red/blue. Just my opinion and two cents.

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
Coming from a Long Island person, the customer should stick to green all the way around so we know who the hell he is.

I don't have a problem with a pair of red law's in the back, but they should at least be displayed along with the color he is supposed to have. I realize red/green splits are very hard (if not impossible) to find, but that's the way it goes. Red and blue on the sides is really pushing it. In fact, it's beyond pushing it. I would be less critical if it had white to the front than having red and blue to the sides. In this case, there's also no reason why he needs blue to the rear? Visibility? Green stands out too.

I'm not even going to ask what he needs a SmartSiren controller for.

REDDPSE

May 21, 2010
Central Ohio
i would love to see a parts list and some day time install photos. I have a brand new one of these and am ready to out fit it.

LLS

May 23, 2010
NYC
Last I checked Rockland County does not allow R/B for Volunteer EMS.

I googled your user name, and came up with Spring Hill Volunteer Ambulance.

Why would you post a vehicle with an install that is illegal on a message board with people that know the laws.

that's like an "officer, that guy stole my pot" moment.

#InternetTroll&Proud

movi3king

Jun 29, 2012
New York
emt111 said:
What brand are the green lights?

I dont actually remember the brand.

I will have to ask the customer again and get back to you.

REDDPSE said:
i would love to see a parts list and some day time install photos. I have a brand new one of these and am ready to out fit it.

Sure thing. As soon as i get it i will let you know. As from what i remember

Front Window: Strobes n more D12 + Whelen Dual Avenger

Side Windows: Whelen Ions.

LLS said:
Last I checked Rockland County does not allow R/B for Volunteer EMS.

I googled your user name, and came up with Spring Hill Volunteer Ambulance.

Why would you post a vehicle with an install that is illegal on a message board with people that know the laws.

that's like an "officer, that guy stole my pot" moment.

#InternetTroll&Proud

Regardless of what you checked, know, or researched... You have no right to expose me in public or where you think i work etc.

Your a real prick for putting me out like that.

If you have a problem with me then take it up with me in a private message, there is absolutely no justification for your post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.