2013 Ram 1500

JGG

May 20, 2010
Portage, MI
I replaced my Excursion with a mildly used Ram pickup. This is the beginning of the new install.

Four Whelen M7s on the rear of the tool box. The outer two are red, the inner two are amber.

Tomar 200s high-power in red on the sides of the tool box.

ai57.tinypic.com_2h5v2mf.jpg

Four Feniex T6s under the tailgate. The outer two are amber, the inner two are red.

ai59.tinypic.com_2m48ti1.jpg

ai59.tinypic.com_24e16w3.jpg

Two red Whelen Dual Avengers in the passenger-side windshield. Attached with 3M double-sided tape.

ai58.tinypic.com_2qi2p1w.jpg

ai57.tinypic.com_30c3n8j.jpg

Everything will be controlled through a Tomar 940 remote siren.

ai59.tinypic.com_wb5u9x.jpg

I have four Ions for the grille, but they don't fit in the grille slats as I expected. I have to decide whether to get a different grille, or to just install the Ions on the lower valance opening.

Nothing has been wired up yet, but that will come in time. And don't worry, there will be lots of sync involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 9, 2012
Central Florida
I have a 2013 also...did you just pop the tailgate off and mount the T-6s? I've been wanting to do it but wasn't sure if they would fit. I'm actually changing my grille inserts from the slats to the honeycomb to aide in mounting lights in the grille. 

JGG

May 20, 2010
Portage, MI
Honestly, the T6s were a gigantic pain. I'm sure they'll be effective, but it was quite an irritating install. The tailgate had to come off, but there is still very little room to deal with. I had to file the flanges down on the center lights for clearance as well.

And as for the Avengers, this truck is in line for a lightbar, so the flexibility of having individual lights outweighs the nice fitment of an interior bar. I like the idea of being able to easily change the setup in the future.

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
Not a fan of the Avengers. Personally I would sell them and buy a Ram specific interior bar. 
 I agree. I have a ram specific Feniex Pegasus and LOVE it! Fitment is perfect against the headliner and windshield with very minimal flashback and I am still amazed at how well it moves traffic, even after having it for almost 2 years...clears traffic a good distance ahead of me perfectly. It is also my only front warning and get the job done every time!

chucksorce

Aug 3, 2014
nj
Might I suggest moving the location of your lighting control from in the console to the headliner on the face of where the map lights are mounted. Yesterday I mounted the keypad to my smart siren in that location and it turned out great and if you have a sunroof it's really easy, I was toying with the idea of mounting it where you have it but I'm much happier where it is now. I would post a pic but I don't know how yet.

JGG

May 20, 2010
Portage, MI
I like the controller where it is. I've had control heads mounted in the overhead console in previous vehicles, and it was a bit of a pain to use. Thanks for the suggestion though.

The Avengers are not necessarily optimal, but the rearview mirror in this truck is not conducive to mounting on the driver side. Also, I do not run code, so I am not overly concerned with flashback either.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I am not a fan of the two Avenger either.  I may be picky but I would have all the lights on the toolbox match. 

Why have all that lighting if you don't run code? 

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I replaced my Excursion with a mildly used Ram pickup. This is the beginning of the new install.

Four Whelen M7s on the rear of the tool box. The outer two are red, the inner two are amber.

Tomar 200s high-power in red on the sides of the tool box.

ai57.tinypic.com_2h5v2mf.jpg

Four Feniex T6s under the tailgate. The outer two are amber, the inner two are red.

ai59.tinypic.com_2m48ti1.jpg

ai59.tinypic.com_24e16w3.jpg

Two red Whelen Dual Avengers in the passenger-side windshield. Attached with 3M double-sided tape.

ai58.tinypic.com_2qi2p1w.jpg

ai57.tinypic.com_30c3n8j.jpg

Everything will be controlled through a Tomar 940 remote siren.

ai59.tinypic.com_wb5u9x.jpg

I have four Ions for the grille, but they don't fit in the grille slats as I expected. I have to decide whether to get a different grille, or to just install the Ions on the lower valance opening.

Nothing has been wired up yet, but that will come in time. And don't worry, there will be lots of sync involved.
Nice truck, but I think you have a crazy amt. of rear warning emphasis (more than the front) by having 4 M7s and 4 T6, which is more than some full-sized apparatus.

Just throwing it out there. Have you thought about moving 2 of the M7's to the grill and using the grill ions elsewhere (ie running boards if you have them, 10-75 bracket, etc)? You'd have to mount the M7s behind the grill because of the downward slope (which I know isn't ideal), but those suckers are bright and would probably still do a decent job behind the upper grill area.

As for the dual avengers, I think it looks awkward to have 2 there, but I also understand that this is temporary (til you get a lightbar) and that avengers/vipers on the driver's side of RVMs are essentially directly in your front line of view. However (although the "symmetry commandos" might object), have you considered moving one of them to the lower dash? I'm a big proponent of 3 levels of warning (which you'd have here, along with the grill lights) and I think a dual avenger on the lower dash should have a permanent home there when you get a full size lightbar.

Either way, looking forward to a vid!

JGG

May 20, 2010
Portage, MI
Well, the more I looked at it, the more I didn't like both Avengers on the passenger side.

ai60.tinypic.com_9ri1rd.jpg

Better?

My family owns a towing company, and this is my personal vehicle. I use it to run service calls, including on the side of 131 and I94, which intersect in our county. The main reason for the large amount of lighting, though, is that law enforcement has little interest in blocking traffic for towing companies around here. I have had my personal truck as sole traffic control for extended heavy-duty recoveries, which included the closing of a travel lane on a very busy stretch of I94.

We specialize in the recovery and remediation of heavy-duty wrecks, which often includes long periods of time spent cleaning up lost loads by hand. A recent job that we have done was a semi accident where the truck lost an entire load of beer into the woods bordering the highway. The remediation of the scene lasted upwards of 14 hours over a period of two days. This was after fire, EMS, and the coroner had performed their duties. As you may imagine, law enforcement was reluctant to have officers there for that amount of time, so that is where our traffic control equipment comes into play.

This may seem like a long and drawn-out answer, but I have dealt with a certain amount of scorn regarding the amount of warning that my vehicles have in use. I just wanted to make the reasoning clear, and to show that there is a very good reason for the lighting on my truck. There is a lot there, but it is well worth it when all of my men come home safe at the end of the day.

Reactions: arsenal10

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
More lights does not equal safer. A back rack with a Whelen TANF85 and two M7s on the tool box would be more than adequate rear warning. 

Also, if you spend as much time on the side of the road as you say you do perhaps you could consider rigging up a mount for a large arrow board.

Reactions: Eric1249

okc_f150

Oct 3, 2013
Oklahoma City
Looks like a nice setup. For your application, I can see why you have twice as much to the rear.

I agree on the arrowboard, that might be a good addition if money allows.

As for the TA, do people even know what that means? I mean really, think about it. Us lighting nerds know what it means, emergency services people know what it means, but does Joe Citizen? All they see is flashing lights, the best setups in the world still get hit sometimes.

Op, looks good, keep up the good work.

Stay safe!

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
The Tomars on the side need to be swapped out for M4s. Looks great so far.

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
I would go with a Ram specific ILB myself, however with what you have, I like the Avengers centered to each side of RVM..  A but much to the rear, but hey, not my vehicle. Good install.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W2CK

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.