2013 Taurus: Added GRILL lights 01/26/14

Nov 7, 2011
New England
SCROLL down for UPDATES!! Latest update on pg 3 of this thread post#66

The car is used for station response.

FRONT

(2) Red Soundoff mini LED3's on custom brackets

(2) White Code 3 9LED Hideablasts as a fake HLF

(1) Feniex Cobra 2x Red/White mounted to headliner. (behind very heavy tint)

REAR

(2) Feniex Cobra 2x's Red/Amber

All controlled by a FS SS2000-SS

I will have pictures and hopefully better videos tomorrow.

wiring.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

FireMedic129

Jul 19, 2011
Kentucky
sure do like that switchbox!!!! :p

Nov 7, 2011
New England
So here is an update to my personal vehicle. I use it for response to station / scene on occasion.

Equipment List

Controlled by a Whelen 295HFSA6 and delivered by a Soundoff 100H speaker

Rear:

(2) Feniex Cobra 2x Red/Amber

Front

(2) Whelen 500 series surface mounted to mirrors

(1) Feniex Cobra 2x Red/White

(1) Whelen UHF2150B Headlight Flasher

Antenna gets hooked to my portable if need be. no mobile radio.

It's simple but I think I'm going to be adding some equip soon.. Stand by.

photo (1).JPG

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
Have you thought about mounting the front 2x higher up in the windshield? It looks clean and simple (in the good way).

Nov 7, 2011
New England
Hoff said:
Have you thought about mounting the front 2x higher up in the windshield? It looks clean and simple (in the good way).

Thank you. The 2x used to mounted right up against the headliner with a headliner bracket. The light output was hindered too much though, as I have heavy tint at the top of the windshield. Plus the white looked blue-ish up there, which is a no-no for fire/ems here

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
[sTREET][/sTREET]

jcpse said:
Thank you. The 2x used to mounted right up against the headliner with a headliner bracket. The light output was hindered too much though, as I have heavy tint at the top of the windshield. Plus the white looked blue-ish up there, which is a no-no for fire/ems here

Well that will do it.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Aww man, why'd you scrap the grill light buddy? I like the simplicity of the install, but I would've kept the grill lights and moved the LAWs to the turn signals. I really like the simple red/amber sync to the rear (though I personally would slow it down a little). All I would say is add a TLF, because I think they are very effective on that generation impala.

;-)

Nov 7, 2011
New England
pdk9 said:
Aww man, why'd you scrap the grill light buddy? I like the simplicity of the install, but I would've kept the grill lights and moved the LAWs to the turn signals. I really like the simple red/amber sync to the rear (though I personally would slow it down a little). All I would say is add a TLF, because I think they are very effective on that generation impala.
;-)

I figured now that I added the HLF the little LED3's in the grille would get washed out. and I was going to move the LAWs to the turn signal part of the housing, but it is a double wall housing and i didnt want to go through all the hassle i did to put them in the high beam part of the housing again ;) The patterns on the back 2x's are pretty slow now and still sync'd

I'm hoping to do license plate lights or some sort of hideaway in the rear. I've had HAW's in the tail & reverse lights of this car in past setups. Used to have vertex's but they never impressed me. I'll figure somethin out. Maybe cannons :thumbsup:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
jcpse said:
I figured now that I added the HLF the little LED3's in the grille would get washed out. and I was going to move the LAWs to the turn signal part of the housing, but it is a double wall housing and i didnt want to go through all the hassle i did to put them in the high beam part of the housing again ;) The patterns on the back 2x's are pretty slow now and still sync'd

I'm hoping to do license plate lights or some sort of hideaway in the rear. I've had HAW's in the tail & reverse lights of this car in past setups. Used to have vertex's but they never impressed me. I'll figure somethin out. Maybe cannons :thumbsup:

I like the idea of LAWs to the rear.

I hear ya on the led3 minis...I usually like to have grill LEDs flash simultaneously, because i, too, believe that HLF washes them out, even on some larger lightheads. On the other hand, I think the cudas on a wigwag pattern looked solid in NYPD impalas...have u thought about trying them (or something like rect-37's) out there? I'm sure those large footprints would be hard to overpower ;-)

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
Nov 7, 2011
New England
My 2002 impala POV used for station response. Hopefully within a year I'll be moving up to a taurus:D

Equipment List

Controlled by a Whelen 295HFSA6 and delivered by a Soundoff 100H speaker

Rear

(2) Red Whelen Single Avengers on rear deck

(2) Red SOS LED3's next to tag

(2) Red SNM E91 HAWs in tail lights

(2) White SNM E91 HAWs in reverse lights

All rear lights set to steady and synchronously flashed with a Whelen ULF22 Flasher

Front

(1) Red Federal Signal Viper at bottom of windshield

(1) Whelen UHF2150B Headlight Flasher

Misc

-Laird lo profile VHF antenna on rear trunklid

-Uniden scanner

Soon I will be adding cobra T6's to the mirrors where the 500's used to be.

I will add pics and a video tomorrow.

Nov 7, 2011
New England
So I made a slight upgrade in my ride... 2002 Sh*tpala is gone and I replaced it with a 2013 taurus SEL. Love the car.

UPDATED

This is a "no holes drilled" install (in reality there are 3 holes drilled. 1 in each kick panel and 1 in the center compartment for the wire to pass through.) Everything is powered by the cig plug for now for the sake of simplicity and lo pro.

Front: 2 whelen single avengers red. "coathanger method" mounted

Side/intersection: 2 SNM E91 LED HAWs white. SM to side kick panels.

front/ intersection are all steady and are synchronously flashed with a whelen ULF.

Rear: Whelen Inner edge interior lightbar red. Charger vehicle specific but I modified the brackets to fit my vehicle.

More is to come. Enjoy for now.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Cant wait for the video and equipment! Interior shots too please!

Kinda hard to mount anything in the retail Taurus. I would also recommend replacing that grille for the SHO grille. I did it with my Limited and love it and made it look that much better.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
jcpse said:
updated! and Fireemspolice... could you send me a link to where I can find that grille as cheap as possible? I had the exact same thought. Thanks!

I had the grille priced in to my financing. Yea, I paid more for it but it keeps with the flow of the car. I had to get the dealer I was buying the car from to match the price, and they did. I got the lowest price from the link below

Grille, 2013+ Ford Taurus SHO

DG1Z8200DB

$356.19

Ford Repair Parts - Part #:

Of course, the PI Sedan grille will also fit

Grille, 2013+ Ford Police Interceptor Sedan

DG1Z8200AA

$111.50 from the same place.

I was on the fence about it but the SHO grille flowed better

Before

2013 Taurus Limited tri-bar grille.jpg

After

2013 Taurus Limited SHO grille.jpg

Be nice if there was a way to make the taillight LED's flash but it would cause all kinds of errors. Originally I had SOS tell me it was doable and after we had a 3-way chat with Ford SOS retracted their statement and Ford and SOS said not to do it for that reason.

hoisy71

Sep 10, 2011
Baltimore, MD
FireEMSPolice said:
I had the grille priced in to my financing. Yea, I paid more for it but it keeps with the flow of the car. I had to get the dealer I was buying the car from to match the price, and they did. I got the lowest price from the link below

Grille, 2013+ Ford Taurus SHO

DG1Z8200DB

$356.19

Ford Repair Parts - Part #:

Of course, the PI Sedan grille will also fit

Grille, 2013+ Ford Police Interceptor Sedan

DG1Z8200AA

$111.50 from the same place.

I was on the fence about it but the SHO grille flowed better

Before

View attachment 65599

After

View attachment 65600

Be nice if there was a way to make the taillight LED's flash but it would cause all kinds of errors. Originally I had SOS tell me it was doable and after we had a 3-way chat with Ford SOS retracted their statement and Ford and SOS said not to do it for that reason.

That sho grille looks a million times better!

Told you Jeremy! Now do it!

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
hoisy71 said:
That sho grille looks a million times better!

Thanks!!

Here are some more swaps on a forum I am on. After I did mine, a few others jumped on board..lol

Before

2013 Taurus tri-bar grille.jpg

After

2013 Taurus SHO grille.jpg

Just to mix it up, a member swapped his tri-bar grille on his black '13 Taurus with a PI Sedan grille, which looks real nice with his color

PI Grille 1.jpg

PI Grille 2.jpg

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
jcpse said:
I'll probably end up getting a PI grille, as cost is definitely an object right now. I'm also thinking of blacking out the wheels.

Thanks for the links!

No problem. I understand cost being an issue. Post pics of your grille swap.

I dont know what size you have or what trim you have, but I have the Limited with 255-45-19. Good tires are nearly non-existent. I am thinking about getting the PI Sedan steel wheels with 245-55-18 to get better tire options.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Nice upgrade. I would have put the single Avengers in the back deck and a dual up front. But that is just me. The honeycomb grille looks good. I was never a fan of them until I saw these pics

strobecrazy

Apr 27, 2011
GA,ATL
FireEMSPolice said:
Talking about the PI Sedan grille or SHO grille?

The black taurus with the PI grille, I think it would look good on the OPs taurus. That way it gives room to put bigger footprint lights behind it.

Nov 7, 2011
New England
Eric1249 said:
Nice upgrade. I would have put the single Avengers in the back deck and a dual up front. But that is just me. The honeycomb grille looks good. I was never a fan of them until I saw these pics

Thanks. I'm pretty much going with what I already had laying around anyways. So far I've only put a small chunk of change into this thing lighting wise. I hardly ever respond anyways, since i don't respond from home, as I live in a different town than I work in.

Ya the car has new tires so when the time comes around to replace them, that doesn't sound like a bad idea. The PI wheel covers are kinda ugly though so I'm not sure. I'm thinking I'm going to plasti-dip these wheels black with a gloss coat. that with the PI grill should make it look mean. I'll def put something behind the grille :undecided:

Troop

Nov 14, 2013
East Coast
Nice looking ride. I love the grille swap, looks much better. Keep us updated.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.