2014 Chevy Impala

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
As I said in another post, I finally got myself a new car. After some tinkering, I finally have my lights installed.

Front:

-AWL Venom v1 in B/W

-Whelen Single Talon in B

Rear:

-Feniex Cobra 2x in B/B

video 024.jpg

video 025.jpg

Plan on hardwiring these at some point. But that is yet to come.

Criticism, complements, suggestions ALWAYS appreciated!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
GM is still offering the Impala "Classic" for the fleets such as rental, business, and government. The 9C1 police package Impala is the classic design. Same 300 HP Direct Injection V-6/6-Speed Auto engine and tranny as the 2014 new models, as well as the 2012 & 2013 models.

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
It's the "Limited" which, if I'm correct, is the older body style. Trust me if they had the new style on the lot I went to I would have gotten it, but this was just way too good of a deal to pass up on a 2014 with 8k miles.

I'm considering getting B/A HAWs installed in my reverse lights. That I could install myself. As for and HLF, I'll have to find someone good to do that because there's all sorts of covers on the headlight assembly and I don't want to mess that up, but I don't want to splice anything on a new car that I don't know. As for grill lights. Will that work well on such a tiny grill? I will not do it on that lower portion, way too low on the ground. I don't like lights too low.

Keep recommendations coming! I have 2 savings accounts going now, one to not touch and one for blinkies. Don't want to go too crazy but I'm wanting to be as safe as possible. Been having to POV to scene a bit more here recently and that includes a couple times on I70 which is death valley -.-

strobecrazy

Apr 27, 2011
GA,ATL
JPolston said:
It's the "Limited" which, if I'm correct, is the older body style. Trust me if they had the new style on the lot I went to I would have gotten it, but this was just way too good of a deal to pass up on a 2014 with 8k miles.

I'm considering getting B/A HAWs installed in my reverse lights. That I could install myself. As for and HLF, I'll have to find someone good to do that because there's all sorts of covers on the headlight assembly and I don't want to mess that up, but I don't want to splice anything on a new car that I don't know. As for grill lights. Will that work well on such a tiny grill? I will not do it on that lower portion, way too low on the ground. I don't like lights too low.

Keep recommendations coming! I have 2 savings accounts going now, one to not touch and one for blinkies. Don't want to go too crazy but I'm wanting to be as safe as possible. Been having to POV to scene a bit more here recently and that includes a couple times on I70 which is death valley -.-

Check out this thread.

http://elightbars.org/forums/f32/no-splice-headlight-flasher-29134/

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
JPolston said:

I would add a Strobes N More E66 to the rear deck with either a TLF or some clear HAWs in the reverse lights. Then add an intersection bracket with any of the various small 6 LED lights available, something in the grill and some SOS intersectors. Oh and set the single avenger to steady burn :D

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
I'd look into that no-splice HLF if you don't want to cut too much. I like the E66 post mentioned above. So how about this:

Buy: HLF, E66 and one more single avenger.

Move the feniex light to the front windshield. Move the single avenger to the small side window (new avenger same place.) E66 on the rear deck. That'd give you:

Front: HLF, Feniex, and Venom

Side: Single Avenger. (Intersectors would be a great addition when your budget allows.)

Rear: E66 (STROBE HAW's in the reverse light would be a nice, cheap purchase but would require some drilling and wiring.) If you don't want HAW's, a couple TIR6 lights on a rear LP bracket would be good for exterior mid level warning. (No split and slow pattern.)

That's my 0.02...good luck!

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
Like some of these ideas! Will definitely look into the no splice method! As for side, while yes the talon/avengers would work, I have some AWL TIR3s that I planned on putting in the rear small windows. Then again, I may use the avenger/talon method just for more "punch" through tint when I get it done.

I've been looking at the E66, but I've heard from a little birdy that Tom will soon be coming out with a new "stick." Maybe by the time I have enough money saved up, it will be out and I'll be able to compare. Can't go wrong either way I'm betting.

More ideas please! Keep em comin!

Studgun

Sep 15, 2013
Australia
Our unmarkeds just have the reverse lights on a wig wag flasher; saves drilling and installing a hide-away if you're happy with white as secondary warning to the rear. Generally brighter than HAWs too.

We don't put anything in brakes or turn signals, as we still want people to notice when we're stopping and turning.

The Commodores alternate between reverse and turn signal lights when the handbrake is applied, so you have amber/white alternating when you're stopped, although your brake lights are your turn signals in the States, so that's probably not an option for you...

mhchockey84

Jun 27, 2011
NJ
loose the suction-cup bracket on the back and use a velcro mount or something similar, it will give a more low profile look

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
I've gotta figure out how to set up my 2013 Impala as well. Any upper windshield lights are out of the question for me since I am tall and they would be obstructing the view when driving. Any lights up front will be dash mounted, in the headlights, very small ones in the small grill so that there is still airflow getting in through the grill. Back end? i can handle.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
RyanZ71 said:
I've gotta figure out how to set up my 2013 Impala as well. Any upper windshield lights are out of the question for me since I am tall and they would be obstructing the view when driving. Any lights up front will be dash mounted, in the headlights, very small ones in the small grill so that there is still airflow getting in through the grill. Back end? i can handle.

The Inner Edge XLP is very low profile. You could do a passenger side only model if that still obstructs your vision.

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
Studgun said:
Our unmarkeds just have the reverse lights on a wig wag flasher; saves drilling and installing a hide-away if you're happy with white as secondary warning to the rear. Generally brighter than HAWs too.
We don't put anything in brakes or turn signals, as we still want people to notice when we're stopping and turning.

The Commodores alternate between reverse and turn signal lights when the handbrake is applied, so you have amber/white alternating when you're stopped, although your brake lights are your turn signals in the States, so that's probably not an option for you...

Reminds me of (ready for it) U/C car. ;) That being said I like the idea of using a back lite flasher as a 2ndary to the rear deck light , as it is now the rear is effective and clean and not over populated. (most comments will be geared toward you over populating your vehicle, and you need to buy this and this). The front; I noticed the front lighting is simple and effective, and allows use of turn signals with most attention at eye level. :thumbsup:

The Consensus with many POV owners posted on this site, 'more is better'.. "OMG, Jim has more lights, I need to call my light dealers and order more!" Im sure if most could afford it they would have more lights than two of their depts fire trucks, if dept regs allowed it. IMHO for many (not all) it seems persons want to drive UFO's, kinda similar to the concept of the 70 year old man buying a ferrari, and will die trying to justify the need.

But in the end, KISS falls into play, the main goal is what is effective, doesnt require a 2nd morgage or your first born child and a simple light set-up can be more effective than someone driving a UFO. In the end our opinions really dont matter, as the vehical owners going to set up their vehicle to their own tastes or will run with the pack and suffer blinky envy.. ;)

I often refer people with lighting questions to this link; http://elightbars.org/forums/f13/illustrated-guide-adequate-lighting-30112/

Nice set-up, I like it so far looks clean & not overkill. Waits to see how much more if any is added.. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Studgun

Sep 15, 2013
Australia
CodeMan said:
Reminds me of (ready for it) U/C car. ;)

I take it you're referring to me saying unmarked car vs undercover car. If that's the case, there is a difference, at least here anyway. Much the same as plain-clothes police/detectives vs undercover police.

Unmarked cars aren't hard to pick. Try as you might to hide the lights and antennae they're still visible to anyone looking closely enough. They're usually the same vehicle models as the marked cars.

Undercover cars are your everyday run of the mill cars that have no special equipment and blend right in with surrounding traffic. Ours come from a pool of ex-government cars and include Priuses and all sorts if other cars we'd never normally touch. They're used more by our surveillance and property crime taskforces who don't need to make traffic apprehensions or respond to jobs under lights and sirens and just want to blend in and not be seen.

Otherwise, your feedback is good. Keep it simple, especially to the rear. Big, wide, slow and synced. Can go with a faster pattern to the front to convey a sense of urgency, but stick to patterns that use big chunks of light, not the stupid twinkly patterns that alternate ridiculously fast between every second lighthead.

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
Since the 2014 is fleet only, does it have any of the pre-ran 9C1 wiring in it? Some have the option for the wigwag and TLF enable in the main wiring bundle. Green/red if I remember correctly.

I have a rear window Pegasus that would fit this in blue/white if you're interested, PM me. Never installed.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
SirenWorld.com said:
Since the 2014 is fleet only, does it have any of the pre-ran 9C1 wiring in it? Some have the option for the wigwag and TLF enable in the main wiring bundle. Green/red if I remember correctly..

Only for the 9C1s.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
JP- I am interested in knowing what you did as far as switches go and where you put them. I have a few ideas of my own for my 13 impala, but would like to see what you ended up doing, may save me some time.

Thanks

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
RyanZ71 said:
JP- I am interested in knowing what you did as far as switches go and where you put them. I have a few ideas of my own for my 13 impala, but would like to see what you ended up doing, may save me some time.

Thanks

Right now, I have all three lights plugged into a good multi-port that plugs into a 12v that I came across. It has a single on switch with makes it useful for my situation. I did, however, put a bigger fuse in it and it seems to have increased the brightness on everything, allowing the multi-port to not "struggle" with the p.o.s. fuses that come with it. The multi-port is in my center console, which awesomely enough has its own 12-v inside. My Venom's line is ran through the rubber door seal, down under the passenger seat, and up into the console. Talon's line is just down the dash, down to the floor, kind of tucked in between the console and the floor a bit, between the console and driver's seat, and then up into the console. I just moved the Cobra's line behind and under the back seat(through the odd little compartment under the seat) and down into the console. All cords are neatly wound and tucked away.

As for a switch box or controller, the possible spots for one are great. I have an RX series controller that I bought when I got my Venom and I'm probably going to put it under the steering wheel and to the left, closer to the door.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.