2014 Chevy Tahoe Slick top now with video

txff914

May 25, 2010
Houstonl,tx
Here is a 2014 Chevy Tahoe slick top that we installed recently, customer provided some of them lights. He wanted the four Whelen Slimlighters in the rear, the single Talons in the side windows and a Slimlighter on the dash. This is the customer personally owned vehicle that he uses at his department, we will be adding a push bumper and some Feniex T6s to the side of the push bumper when it comes in. Also this is the white Tahoe in the picture of the three tahoes, it was the only outside picture with no lights on i had.

The video is kind of loud

List of equipment

Feniex Tahoe Pegasus

Feniex Cobra 400 in the grill

Whelen Slimlighter on, dash and four in the back window

Whelen single Talon in the side windows

Feniex Cannons mounted on the step three on each side. Set up for warning function and alley function

Feniex T6s on the license plate

Gambler Johnson Tahoe console

Motorola XTS 2500

Bearcat 350 scanner

Galls Street Thunder siren

4 switch plate

20140316_193850.jpg

20140316_194359.jpg

20140316_194405.jpg

20140316_194424.jpg

20140316_194446.jpg

20140316_194436.jpg

20140316_194512.jpg

20140316_194524.jpg

20140316_195017.jpg

20140316_195049.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sean_quish

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Those Slimlighters are going to be one big mess if they aren't sync'd... Looks like you did a clean job installing everything though.

Dec 4, 2011
US NC
tsquale said:
Those Slimlighters are going to be one big mess if they aren't sync'd... Looks like you did a clean job installing everything though.

I didn't think Slimlighters could be sync'ed?

It does look like a fine install. I'm very curious as to how the back is going to look lit up. Hopefully better than I am imagining.

crt6mrt-265

May 23, 2010
Central NJ
+1 on what the back looks like lit up. Other then that looks sweet. I think though for the amount of money spent on the slimlighters there could have been a dual color traffic bar and money saved.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Too bad the customer didn't spare 2 of those slimlighters for the sides! I agree that they'll look like a mess unless he gets a flasher & puts them on a moderately slow pattern. You'd think that with all the $ he's putting into a new 'hoe that he'd upgrade his siren too

firefighter7017 said:
I didn't think Slimlighters could be sync'ed?

It does look like a fine install. I'm very curious as to how the back is going to look lit up. Hopefully better than I am imagining.

They can be, but you're going to void the warranty by doing so

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
txff914 said:
Well the slimlighters and talons were from his old car. Yes the back looks bad lit up but what can you do when your customer is dead set on having them their. Lol

Do they have a steady burn setting so they could be put on an external flasher?

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
minig0d said:

thats what i would do, id set all 4 slimlighters to steady burn, and then flash them all in an 'X' pattern, using an external flasher. (Like a Whelen ULF44)

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
Storm4200 said:
thats what i would do, id set all 4 slimlighters to steady burn, and then flash them all in an 'X' pattern, using an external flasher. (Like a Whelen ULF44)

...which would work and would look good IF the slimlighters are one color. If they are a R/B, it'd be a purple mess even sync'd.

dawson75

May 20, 2010
OHIO
install looks great.

Sometimes you need to talk the customer into doing the right thing. And all four of those slims are not a great idea ( in my opinion anyway )

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
txff914 said:
They are are red blue, ill post video friday when the internet at our shop gets hooked up. Thanks for the compliments guys ive got a few more of our recent installs that ill post up soon

Despite them each being red and blue, it is possible to swap modules between the slimlighters to achieve the desired effect of one whole slimlighter red and another blue.... Add a external flasher and you now have a effective rear setup.

Seth

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
All that money on lights, but then buys a Galls siren...

txff914

May 25, 2010
Houstonl,tx
C17LVFD said:
Despite them each being red and blue, it is possible to swap modules between the slimlighters to achieve the desired effect of one whole slimlighter red and another blue.... Add a external flasher and you now have a effective rear setup.

Seth

His siren that he had got hacked up when he tried to save money and have his equipment removed by the body shop that was taking off his decals. I found that out after he dropped the vehicle off to me to start installing it, so i didn't want him to have to wait any longer for the replacement parts for the siren controller i gave him a switch panel and a used siren that was laying around the shop to use for now till i get the replacement parts. Also about the slimlighters its fine to do all those modifications to the slim lighter like you say if it was my personal car and i wasn't worried about how much time i had to tie up on an install. But from a business owner standpoint it just doesn't make sense to tie up extra time modifying lights that aren't yours and doing something that the customer might not care about just to make the same colors flash the same time. I can also see how much better it would look if was all synced up, trust me one thing i cant stand are un synced lights.

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
I don't know how accurate the video is, in terms of expressing how bright the rear is. However, having seem TIR6 SlimLighters in the past, it appears that the back is dangerously bright. Is it better to have the night time driver blinded and hit you, or not see you and hit you? Either way, it's not going to be an optimal outcome.

More lights and/or faster flash patterns doesn't always increase your safety.

NOTE: I'm not criticizing your work as an installer, but rather the mentality that "if one is good, than five is excellent."

crt6mrt-265

May 23, 2010
Central NJ
must have been my phone cause I'm on the computer now and can view it. wow that's a lot of light. I might have done the sides where they were half red and half blue just for the emergency mix. other then that we know about the customer's choice on the rear. The front seems like its missing something too but again, customer gets what they request.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
I like it. Personally Ida done red blue on each side but I kind of like the idea of the cannon dual mode being used as alley also. Giving me some ideas! The back is a mess though. Forget about the sync. Obviously he's not gonna do it. I'd just leave the upper slimlighters and t6 and TLF. The lower ones could be sold and used to purchase some of the below listed ideas. It's the ones in the lower glass are what's causing it to look like a mess. I've seen a bunch of installs with two slimlighters in the back glass that don't look that bad. It's having 4 that cause the mess.

Someone commented on the front missing something. It's either some par fog lights or mirrorbeams/intersectors that are missing to finish it visually. The front has plenty of lighting for safety sake but for aesthetics some fog lights and for intersection warning some mirrorbeams would complete it. Overall I think it's not bad.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
minig0d said:

Yes, it can def be done if you know what you're doing & don't min voiding the warranty when u open up the units to hook up a ulf44. Personally, if he really wants the double tier look to work, I think he needs to swap those 4 units out for 2 lightsticks that can be synced (ie dominator 8 or cobra 800s); I think that'd look for a cleaner look b/c slimlighters (if he was to sync them) still have big gaps in the center

Also, I think the 2 talons should be swapped so that there is a little red & blue on each side of the unit

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Love the setup and didn't see any split, but the thing I would change would be to slow down the patterns. I think with slower patterns it stands out more rather then a whole bunch of lights blurring together.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
pdk9 said:
Yes, it can def be done if you know what you're doing & don't min voiding the warranty when u open up the units to hook up a ulf44. Personally, if he really wants the double tier look to work, I think he needs to swap those 4 units out for 2 lightsticks that can be synced (ie dominator 8 or cobra 800s); I think that'd look for a cleaner look b/c slimlighters (if he was to sync them) still have big gaps in the center

Also, I think the 2 talons should be swapped so that there is a little red & blue on each side of the unit

Cobra 800s cannot be synced (without an external flasher). That's what I have in my Tahoe.

Those Cannons are INCREDIBLE!    They really make a nice side warning light for only three of them on each side.   Probably much more cost effective than something like the HG2 Runners or similar side sticks on the market now days.   For the price of six Cannons you have a VERY effective side warning system.   Overall a really nice set up.

Reactions: Storm4200

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Cobra 800s cannot be synced (without an external flasher). That's what I have in my Tahoe.
I have a Cobra 600.  I removed the flasher and synced it.  It can be done.

The Cannons look cool.  The rear I am not a fan of.  Remove half of the lights and it might look better.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
I like the side warning but not a fan of everything else. The whole setup would be much better if the $1000+ spent on Slimlighters was better spent.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.