2014 Civilian model Explorer grill lights / Whelen Sidekick

rescue52

May 23, 2010
New York
1)I have a 2014 Civilian model Explorer that needs grill lights.

I can put 500 series in the lower portion of the grill or 4 Ions in the smaller openings.

Any one work on these vehicle that can give me so ideas or pictures??

I would like the largest light I can put in not lost of small ones.

2) Does the Whelen Sidekick fit the civilian model or only the police interceptor??

Thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

rescue52

May 23, 2010
New York
No external surface mount. I tried to convince him to get a push bumper but to no avail.

DonaldScr5

Nov 28, 2013
Connecticut
Stick with ions. And use one of the universal brackets. You don't want to block too much of the air flow into the radiator though. They're your best bets, especially since ford is using them in those locations already.

These are of a police package ford, but the lights were not installed by ford, but put in the same location as ford would.

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_01_18_y8abepam.jpgaimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_01_18_evuparyj.jpg

I'm assuming this is the grill you are working with in the picture below.

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_01_18_zadaqejy.jpg

If so, id recommend two ions there, not four since you'd block a lot of the air-way. And ford only puts two there anyway. Id recommend going with a fog light from whelen, either the interweaved one if they already have fog lights or the normal inserts if there is just the plastic insert there.

rescue52

May 23, 2010
New York
gpod said:
My boss has 4 Ions in the grill and it looks really great

Thanks

Any pics??

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Go with Ions or Ghosts in the bottom of the grille, Ions are what are installed as a factory option there.

rescue52

May 23, 2010
New York
Thank you everyone for replying.

Does anyone know if the Whelen Sidekick will fit the civilian model or only the police interceptor??

rescue52

May 23, 2010
New York
canonninja said:
Soundoff Intersectors.... Done.

I tried and the customer said no.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
There is no place for a sidekick on the civi model. I just did one. I think 500 series are too big and won't fit in the grill.

Jake Duda

May 19, 2013
Columbia, SC
VolEms said:
There is no place for a sidekick on the civi model. I just did one. I think 500 series are too big and won't fit in the grill.

Correct, however with the 5BKT1 they will line up decently behind the grille, if push comes to shove. Video in first post of thread.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.