2014 Durango POV plans

gpod

May 21, 2010
Kalamazoo, MI
Hey guys,

I am getting a 2014 Durango hopefully within the next few weeks. They have not yet released to residual values so leases are on hold until then. Right now my plans are as follows:

Front:

2 dual Avengers in headliner, one R/R one R/W

2 Red Ions in grill

Side:

R/W Mini Phantom in side read windows

Rear:

2 R/R Mini Phantoms

And a yet-to-be decided throw light for my 360 roof coverage.

So my question is about the front lighting. I currently have a 2012 Grand Cherokee which is very similar to the Durango. I was having trouble getting the coat hanger trick to work for me with the Avengers when trying things out on the Grand Cherokee. I ordered the visor clips and when pushed all the way onto the headliner, they are angled slightly up and to the sides.

1) Any suggestions on the best way to set the angle more even and effecting, using the brackets I already have

2) I would prefer not to spend too much more on lights. That being said, would it make much of a difference to go with a split Pinnacle or Pegasus?

I would really prefer to stay with what I have, but it needs to look right. Thanks for the advice!

Apr 28, 2013
New York/Mass
" I would prefer not to spend too much more on lights. That being said, would it make much of a difference to go with a split Pinnacle or Pegasus?"

I wouldn't worry about getting either of those. You have enough forward coverage between the 2 dual avengers, grille lights and what ever throw light you end up getting, where it wouldn't make any of a difference getting a full interior lightbar. Only difference it would make would be for looks. I personally prefer the looks of 2 dash lights on either side of the RVM than a full interior lightbar. But that's just me.

Look forward to seeing the final install.

strobecrazy

Apr 27, 2011
GA,ATL
Nice choice POV, looking forward to an install thread. I agree that what you have now for the front should work. As for a throw light, mount two Surface Intersectors back to back. Soundoff needs to get on that, "Intersector 360." Have it mount in a standard NMO mount, it would be a great command light/ Lo-Pro throw light. Sorry to get off topic.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
gpod said:
Hey guys,
I am getting a 2014 Durango hopefully within the next few weeks. They have not yet released to residual values so leases are on hold until then. Right now my plans are as follows:

Front:

2 Red Ions in grill

Side:

Rear:

2 R/R Mini Phantoms

So my question is about the front lighting. I currently have a 2012 Grand Cherokee which is very similar to the Durango. I was having trouble getting the coat hanger trick to work for me with the Avengers when trying things out on the Grand Cherokee. I ordered the visor clips and when pushed all the way onto the headliner, they are angled slightly up and to the sides.

1) Any suggestions on the best way to set the angle more even and effecting, using the brackets I already have

2) I would prefer not to spend too much more on lights. That being said, would it make much of a difference to go with a split Pinnacle or Pegasus?

I would really prefer to stay with what I have, but it needs to look right. Thanks for the advice!

The biggest difference between the avengers & pinnacle, IMHO, is that the avengers are just over 1" taller than the pinnacle (avengers are 2" high & pinnacle is approx 3/4"). If you're tall or if you want less interference with the sun visors, I suggest u go with the full interior lightbar. I've also seen pinnacles fit snugly in '13 durangos without issues.

As for the side & rear warning, please choose a better light than the phantoms; they're mediocre at best, & they're even less useful when u place them behind tint. For an alternative to the rear phantoms, go with a strobes n more E66 lightstick to the rear ($225). For the sides, a SNM E6, AWL SMT6, whelen ion/SOS ghost, SOS nForce, axixtech MS6, feniex T6, etc on an L-bracket in the side window will be much brighter

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
gpod said:
Hey guys,

Front:

2 Red Ions in grill

Side:

Rear:

2 R/R Mini Phantoms

I think doing one R/W avenger and one R/R avenger on the top headliner would be weird. Why not buy sync ones and put two R/W ones. If you did that you wouldn't need anymore white to the front. So my suggestion would be the following:

Front

(2) red/white sync avengers on the front headliner

(4) 4 red Whelen Ion's in the grill on X-pattern

Side

SNM intersector bracket with Whelen Ion's for side warning (Sync with the grill lights)

Whelen Ions to punch through the rear window tint (sync with front intersectors)

Rear

Whelen Dominator in the rear window (sync with rear HAW's)

Whelen Vertex HAW's in the outer clear backup lamps (not on the tailgate)

Durango F.jpg

Durango R.jpg

gpod

May 21, 2010
Kalamazoo, MI
I ended up going with a Pegasus instead of the Avengers. I have the split universal version. Has anyone done one of these or similar on a 3rd generation Durango? The mounts are making it difficult to get both sides even. Even so, it looks pretty amazing.

I'm hoping to have everything installed by Thanksgiving, so look for an install post around then.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.