2014 explorer install questions

SBFD-E-9

May 24, 2010
Washington IL
I just got a 2014 Ford Explorer and have a few install questions. I want to keep it pretty simple and not drill a bunch of holes. I just purchased a Passenger side Feniex Fusion bar for it. I was thinking maybe a pair of Ions or T6 in the grille in the open area under the slats. I've seen a lot of lights mounted there, but was wondering how they are actually secured? I didn't see much to mount to when I looked.

Also looking at doing Feniex Cannons in the rear. Would I be better off going with 120 or 360 and reverse light area or turn signal area?

Thanks!

billyfromhill

Nov 30, 2014
Western New York
I think people mount their lights right to the bumper cover with an L-bracket. I did see one install where someone fabbed up some longer L-brackets and mounted to the bumper itself I believe. It was either on here or YouTube.

I would think the 360 Cannons would work better as you're trying to take advantage of the stock reflector when installing hide-a-ways. Installs where you can only see the small HAW lighthead flashing inside the tail light are improperly installed IMO.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Ive seen toggle bolts used in the grilles of cars that have the opening/closing slats. I took that idea and used them on the '16 ram install I did for 4 T6s. They don't leave holes and are very secure. They key is to use stainless steel bolts.

As for the rears Ford used a few different housings depending on the trim level of the car, LED tails and standard tails. I'd still go 120 over 360 any day.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jriccio@necommunications.

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.