2014 Ford F550 Updated 5/4/14

JGG

May 20, 2010
Portage, MI
New truck, new install thread.

Starting out with a basic Towman's Justice.

[Broken External Image]:http://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...140_849665368382597_4906713710513524692_n.jpg

First addition is a Strobes N More LED floodlight and some reflective chevrons:

[Broken External Image]:http://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...1_10203529947794166_3541965963828260721_o.jpg

There is a Sound-Off Pinnacle visor light going in, and I have a nice package of Whelen products coming as well. Stay tuned for that...

Last edited by a moderator:
May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
I hate to be the one to tell you this but I think the chevrons are pointed the wrong way. They are supposed to point out from the center, not into the center.

JGG

May 20, 2010
Portage, MI
Ok, I've always wondered why that is. I have never thought that the chevrons should form an arrow pointing directly at the middle of the vehicle.

Also, this was put together by the company that makes all of the local street signs. This is the way they said to put the chevrons on, and that is how I have seen them on road closed signs and the like.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
kinnelonfire75 said:
I hate to be the one to tell you this but I think the chevrons are pointed the wrong way. They are supposed to point out from the center, not into the center.

I think most of the people on this board would understand that. Just like a T/A most of the public would not.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
+1 on the chevrons. They should look like a triangle in the center with the lines point down & away from the vehicle (theory is that it guides people away from you that way), whereas the way you have it kind of directs people towards the center of your truck.

Personally, I've never seen the need for dash or headliner lights on a wrecker when there's a full-size exterior lightbar. I see tons of wreckers with 8-10 grill lights, a lightstick across the dash, an ILB, and a lightbar, when I think the front is the area of least concern for the wrecker. In fact, that much warning to the front is actually a hazard IMHO, b/c you're unecessarily blinding oncoming traffic. That being said, for optimal visibility, I think a wrecker should be laid out as follows:

--Towman's lightbar

--2 grill lights

--2-3 linear lightheads on each side

--2 lower rear lightheads

I think the sides are a crucial area way overlooked, esp since wreckers often park at an angle while hooking up a vehicle

Reactions: wrecker44

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
I can see the benefit of dash or ilb. With the bar on the rack and if the bed is up the lights are pointed up to the sky. So depending on positioning it could help

Dec 4, 2011
US NC
I could see a dashlight, not a full bar. Something a lot of companies around here are doing that I really like is mounting LINZ6's on the bed at a 45 degree angle. That way when they lower the bed, those sit at the right angle to warn traffic.

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
This is something I will never understand, why do the wrecker manufacturers set up roll backs when once loaded the light bar is useless to the rear. They need longer light bars that extend past the towed vehicle so can be seen from the rear.

I see many wreckers with lights mounted at 45* angles for additional lower side and rear warning as their light bars are too small when loaded . but if they are equipped with an eagle claw and are towing two vehicles at the same time, the lower rear lights are then rendered useless.. IMHO a wrecker doesn't need a ton of lights to the front, the lights are for warning on coming traffic from the rear or sides that a hazard exists and to use caution or move over. If its an accident scene your already going to have police or fire vehicles on site.

BTW, nice looking truck! :)

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
Some rollbacks and wreckers have tall post mounts on the headache rack to mount beacons or other lights up higher than the lightbar. I've seen a few with the Micro Freedoms and such on them but most of the towing companies I've dealt with don't give a hoot about their amber lighting. They run whatever comes on the truck and that's it.

Nice truck! :thumbsup:

JGG

May 20, 2010
Portage, MI
I got some of the lighting installed today. Nothing is wired up, due to the fact that my control unit has not arrived yet.

These Super Duties are extremely easy to pull the grille and headlights off. Makes it very nice to put in grille lights and such:

ai59.tinypic.com_351u0ra.jpg

Ion facing the side of the truck. This is located right in front of the wheel well, in between the fender flare and the bumper:

ai60.tinypic.com_o73bd4.jpg

Ions on an angle, so that they are level when the bed is tilted down:

ai57.tinypic.com_2q1bdwg.jpg

I have thought about the post mounted beacons for the rollbacks, but the problem becomes that they tilt down just like the lightbar. On our bigger rollbacks, we are likely going to mount beacons on the big side mirrors.

Also, I have argued before over whether or not certain things are necessary on tow trucks or not (eg interior lightbars, using red vs. amber, etc), but I have no desire to do so. If others feel the need to criticize the lighting I choose to put on my vehicles, they can do it all they like. This lighting that I install on my trucks is what I deem to be necessary to adequately protect me and my drivers while performing our duties. I never use excessive lighting or unnecessarily fast and obnoxious flash patterns.

When you see the way this truck is going to be synced, I think that you will feel that it is in no way excessive or unreasonable. :)

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
philyumpshus said:
Some rollbacks and wreckers have tall post mounts on the headache rack to mount beacons or other lights up higher than the lightbar. I've seen a few with the Micro Freedoms and such on them but most of the towing companies I've dealt with don't give a hoot about their amber lighting. They run whatever comes on the truck and that's it.

Nice truck! :thumbsup:

In CT all Trucks Registered as a Wrecker and on Rotation have to be set up this way,. Works well on the Highway

JGG

May 20, 2010
Portage, MI
I got a bit more equipment installed. Still not wired up, since I just have not had the time to do much.

Whelen M7s on the grille:

ai59.tinypic.com_2961aoj.jpg

Whelen LINZ6s above the taillights:

ai61.tinypic.com_2h2quro.jpg

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
if you really wanna dress her up get the Whelen 500 Series S/T/T and Reverse lights and Marker lights with a clear lens

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
I love the M7s, it looks like they were made to fit there. You should snag some of the chrome trim rings to finish them off.

JGG

May 20, 2010
Portage, MI
kitn1mcc said:
if you really wanna dress her up get the Whelen 500 Series S/T/T and Reverse lights and Marker lights with a clear lens
Are the Whelen STT lights that much better than the normal Trucklite style ones? They certainly seem to want a premium for them.

AllStrobedUp said:
I would flip the ions on the bed over so the label was facing in. But that's just my .02
Personally, I like the label facing out. Also, the drain hole would be facing out instead, so I just prefer to have the label showing.

acala91 said:
I love the M7s, it looks like they were made to fit there. You should snag some of the chrome trim rings to finish them off.
The M7s are great. Super bright with very nice off-axis. I have always been a fan of the larger footprint lights too. I'll have to look into getting some of the chrome flanges.

strobecrazy

Apr 27, 2011
GA,ATL
kitn1mcc said:

JGG said:
Are the Whelen STT lights that much better than the normal Trucklite style ones? They certainly seem to want a premium for them.

It would be alot cheaper if you added a flasher to the Trucklite instead of replacing. (The Sho-Me 11.1005stt flasher comes to mind)

EDIT: Just noticed the front vanity tag. Nice! :thumbsup: :haha:

RDT Car 25

May 22, 2010
Milford, CT
AllStrobedUp said:
I would flip the ions on the bed over so the label was facing in. But that's just my .02

It's also easy enough to peel the decal off completely.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
Yes the Whelen 500 series are way brighter than the Truck light. Plus if they can be relensed also they are fully encapsulated

JGG

May 20, 2010
Portage, MI
Finally got everything set up. The only exception is that half of my Pinnacle has decided to quit. I haven't had a chance to do anything about that yet.

Interior with newly installed Cencom control panel:
ai59.tinypic.com_2vuc011.jpg

Wiring board:
ai58.tinypic.com_o0dvk8.jpg

Video, which I edited too quickly, and forgot to put in titles. The order is front mode 1, mode 2, mode 3. Then it is rear mode 1, mode 2, mode 3.

http://youtu.be/pyIkBRti3Pw

Last edited by a moderator:

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
Are the M7s "dumb" lightheads? I haven't heard anything good about using M series lightheads with built in flashers being used with an external flasher.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
JGG said:
I have thought about the post mounted beacons for the rollbacks, but the problem becomes that they tilt down just like the lightbar. On our bigger rollbacks, we are likely going to mount beacons on the big side mirrors.

If you are thinking actual beacon style lights of some sort I've seen mounts which allow the beacon to tilt when the bed is lowered.. I would assume its bottom weighted to permit it to be level with the roadway (or gravity).

I actually saw one on a old dump truck at a local construction site last weekend, I could try to get photos if you wish?

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
If you do end up putting beacons on please, please, please put them as far outboard as you possibly can. Nothing irks me more with tow vehicles than having oodles of lights yet 99% of them are blocked once you put a vehicle on the bed, or seeing 90% of them are forward facing (only).

I'm all for the mirror mounting or iideally far outboard mounting on the rollback. That way no matter whats going on some (up high) warning light will be visible to the rear even if you had a sprinter truck on the rollback. :thumbsup:

JGG

May 20, 2010
Portage, MI
I have seen those before, and the thing that bothers me about them is that they swing around as you drive down the road. That would bother me. Other than that, I am sure that they would work very well for the application. But for now, I am happy with the amount of lighting on this truck.

As for the console, believe me, I would definitely prefer that. Unfortunately, I often need to have someone sit in the center seat of the truck. I had to get a little creative on the mounting, but it is all fairly solid.

The M7s are the internal flasher models set to steady burn and flashed by a ULF44. If there is an issue with that, I am not aware of it. I have never heard such a thing, and there was no warning on the installation guide. I would hope that there won't be any issues.

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
A few of the local towing companies run simple halogen rotator beacons on the roll back, still fairly effective from behind even with the bed tilted, especially those running the ECO LED beacon or the Code 3 420. Pretty funny though seeing trucks running full lightbars on the bed and beacons on the cab, local laws only permit the use of beacons with a rotating pattern for oversize loads, alot of roll backs here do oversize work as well. I know one local earth moving contractor who was running a loaded Liberty on the top of his Kenworth until he got busted and had to fit rotators instead, he was actually stopped on the highway and had to buy a cheap incan rotator at a truckstop before the vehicle inspectors would let him continue.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.