2014 GMC - Comm Company Utility Truck

Jun 26, 2014
Lafayette, IN
2014 GMC Sierra with plow prep package.  Company that is pulling fiber for new internet service provider.  Great guys to work with.  They get paid by the foot of fiber installed, so down time is not an option.  We install for them overnight, over the weekend, or if inclement weather pulls them off the job.  All lights wired to factory overhead beacon switch.

Front:

Windshield - Feniex Cobra 1x's - amber

Bumper - Feniex T6s - amber

Rear:

Cargo light - Feniex Cannons - amber/white

Taillights - Feniex Cannons - white

ai81.photobucket.com_albums_j210_crazykosmo_104_1741_zps6a19db00.jpg

ai81.photobucket.com_albums_j210_crazykosmo_104_1751_zpsf993c02f.jpg

ai81.photobucket.com_albums_j210_crazykosmo_104_1758_zps0cb98d15.jpg

ai81.photobucket.com_albums_j210_crazykosmo_104_1764_zpsff454be9.jpg

ai81.photobucket.com_albums_j210_crazykosmo_104_1769_zps39f639b6.jpg

ai81.photobucket.com_albums_j210_crazykosmo_104_1767_zpsce0178cf.jpg

ai81.photobucket.com_albums_j210_crazykosmo_104_1759_zpse0c510fa.jpg

http://youtu.be/VDNmRuiGZ8o

Last edited by a moderator:

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
 Nice install. Where did you get the shrouds for the 100s?

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Im very impressed, another clean no blob lighting install.... Love the 3rd brake lighte... is it still functional?
I did the same thing with strobe tubes in my '07 Silvy (theres video of it here somewhere).  The CHMSL should still work.  I wonder if the cargo lights still work though.  Only thing they could do top it would be wiring the whi side of the cannons to function as cargos or warning.  The stock cargo bulbs are pretty lame.

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
 Nice install. Where did you get the shrouds for the 100s
The 100's are the stick lights. Actually what is installed in the windshield are Cobra 1x's which are the dashlight version, they included the shroud as well as either a suction cup or headliner bracket.

This is the old version of the Cobra 1x. The new version will be a suction cup mount only

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 26, 2014
Lafayette, IN
The 100's are the stick lights. Actually what is installed in the windshield are Cobra 1x's which are the dashlight version, they include the shroud as well as either a suction cup or headliner bracket
I actually just got on here to fix that mistake, my bad!  Unfortunately Feniex has redesigned that light and we're told that they no longer have a headliner bracket.

Im very impressed, another clean no blob lighting install.... Love the 3rd brake lighte... is it still functional?
If you're referring to the cargo light yes, it is still functional.  We did a total replacement on the cargo light bulbs with A/W Cannons.  The cargo light mode is steady burn white, emergency mode flashing A/W.  Cargo light is stupid bright now!

Why are people putting white to the rear? It screams "come hit me".

Looks great otherwise.
We mix white in to as many installs as we can, especially amber installs.  Drivers are basically desensitized to amber lights.  The depth of two colors seems to get drivers to put their phone down....at least for a second :)

I did the same thing with strobe tubes in my '07 Silvy (theres video of it here somewhere).  The CHMSL should still work.  I wonder if the cargo lights still work though.  Only thing they could do top it would be wiring the whi side of the cannons to function as cargos or warning.  The stock cargo bulbs are pretty lame.
ai81.photobucket.com_albums_j210_crazykosmo_104_1875_zps0ee46c73.jpg

ai81.photobucket.com_albums_j210_crazykosmo_104_1806_zps09c4c347.jpg

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
looks great. could really use a pair of amber T6s to the rear though

Reactions: rwo978

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
As always, excellent work Kent.   

There are a lot of white to the rear haters here.  To me saying that it is begging for someone to run into you is ridiculous.  We would see alot more head on accidents if white lighting was the source of this.   

While I don't like an abundance of white to the rear. Some here and there is not bad.  Additionally during the day time in Florida, Amber is not an attention getter (More of an identifier). 

This truck looks great. 

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
I actually just got on here to fix that mistake, my bad!  Unfortunately Feniex has redesigned that light and we're told that they no longer have a headliner bracket.
My mistake. I just got back from being on the road and was not fully thinking. You are correct and I have updated my post. Feniex is phasing out the version 1 Cobra 1x and 2x's. They are being replaced by a suction cup design similar to the Apollo 1x and 2x's

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
With most installs your always going to have (well you woulda, coulda, shouda opinions). it all boils down to what the customer wants, can afford, etc. And this truck is SHARP...Sure the tail lights are white, but the third break light is colored.

What I notice is this.... utilizing stock switches & perfect separation, its not all blobbed together like lots of POV installs we see in videos. You can see the separations and the flash patterns in the videos..  :yes:   :drooling:   :drooling:   :cool:

(IMHO) This is the 2nd video I have liked, the first was the clean funeral suburban...

I'm normally Mr. Negative.... But these I loved as they were not busy, had clear separation and nice effective patterns and show everyone the lighting can be effective with out covering the vehicle with LEDs, as more is not always better.. :popcorn:

Again thank  you for sharing your videos with us..

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
One thing about white on utility trucks that travel is some state regulate white even to the rear.   In Ct white is not allowed to the rear unless you have a white permit

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
One thing about white on utility trucks that travel is some state regulate white even to the rear.   In Ct white is not allowed to the rear unless you have a white permit
In florida the state regulates the color usage Road maintenance and construction equipment and vehicles may display flashing white lights or flashing white strobe lights when in operation and where a hazard exists. Additionally, school buses and vehicles that are used to transport farm workers may display flashing white strobe lights.

Not going to hijack this thread though,  ;)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fireman5340

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.