2015 Durango SSV - Ambulance

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Hi all,

We did a few of these vehicles recently for an Ambulance customer.  The vehicles are 2015 Durango SSV's.  They are slick-top and used as a low-profile vehicle for small communities.  They are not needed for emergency blasts through intersections in busy cities.

Decals are done by the customer after we were finished, so I don't have any shots with decals.

We added a 2nd battery (35Ah) under the driver's seat (there is 'well' there, specifically designed for batteries, as the main/factory battery is under the passenger seat in an identical well).  The vehicle has a 220a alternator, so we also installed a 200a intelligent battery separator in the console. It disconnects when the main battery is below 13.2vdc, and reconnects when the main is over 13.7vdc. 

All the loads run off the 2nd battery.  We have a Lind power timer in it with ignition sense and low voltage disconnect.  We used 2 x Bluesea 6-terminal fuse blocks; one in the console for the laptop power, 2-way radio power, etc.  The other is in the rear and connects all the lights and siren equipment.

The console is a Gamber-Johnson, which fit really nicely.  They have not developed a faceplate to relocate the factory USB/SD/Audio module, so we had to get a local CNC shop to fabricate one.  It had to be done in a few days so the plate is spray painted instead of powder coated (the next ones are being powder coated).

Lighting;

- Sound-Off interior bar (fits really nicely, fairly bright)

- Federal Micropulse's in the grille and Micropulse Ultra's on the front fender and under the hatch

- Federal dual colour Impaxx6's in the rear cargo area side windows (red/white)

- Federal Latitude flashing arrow ' stick' in the rear (easy to mount, VERY bright - we were impressed)

- Feniex Cannon red/white in the rear.  We removed 2 of the 4 reverse lights and put in a Cannon on each side.  We hooked the whites to the reverse circuit and the reds to warning.  They aren't as bright as you might think because they are angled up (that's the way the socket was - no other option) , though during the night they show up well.

- We added a Sound-Off flasher to the rear running lights on the tailgate so they flash in warning mode (they still operate normally when not in warning mode).  We left the running lights near the brake lights untouched so they are compliant with DOT requirements.

- 2 x Es100C speakers up front

- PA300-CN siren/light control

Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/omZcJtWMsko

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: got_yogurt

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
worked for me.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Works for me too, did around 8pm and still does now

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Worked for me, I think. I watched a video with s nicely done Durango Fly Car.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Still won't work. No love for Canadians. ( which is funny considering where op is located...)

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Give the video another try.  I looked more closely at my Youtube channel and the background music on that video was apparently a copyrighted piece so it blocked viewing "in some countries".  Oddly, it worked for a number of people in Canada and US, but whatever...  I put in some junky Youtube stock audio instead, so it should work now.

Yes, cargo screen is to keep their gear in the rear from hitting the occupants in case of a collision.  Honestly, you'd be crazy not to have it.

The front fender light was a requirement as we have to have flashing red light to all sides, as flashing red is the only emergency colour in our province.  No pushbumper = no other good place to put the light.  Customer didn't want Intersectors, either.  The lights actually look pretty good there when you see it in real life.  They are much brighter than they look in the video (same lights are in the grille).

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
The front fender light was a requirement as we have to have flashing red light to all sides, as flashing red is the only emergency colour in our province.  No pushbumper = no other good place to put the light.  Customer didn't want Intersectors, either.  The lights actually look pretty good there when you see it in real life.  They are much brighter than they look in the video (same lights are in the grille).
I don't doubt their effectiveness...  I'm just not a fan of body mounted lights...  But thats just me...  

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Not bad for a low profile upfit. Finally a rear lightstick with a decent pattern!!!

Personally, though, I'm not a fan of any of the TLFs for dodges except for the brake light wigwag (I think the whole tail light flash is tacky/stupid, but I like the charger brake light wigwag), don't love the HLF in the fogs lights, & I would've preferred IPX6 over the micropulses in the grill & fender b/c I think they give better off-axis. I don't have a problem with mounting lights on fenders as long as it's not on my POV lol, but if the customer didn't want low pro (which is kinda silly IMHO when vehicles are marked), then I would've liked to see a larger intersection lighthead

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
I don't get EMS/FD vehicles that are striped/lettered but who use interior bars. It's ridiculous...and smells of "wanna be LEO" imo.

POVs, LEO, I get. EMS chase cars and FD admin/Chiefs...I dont.

Agree with pdk9 on body mounting, we don't think twice about it on type I ambulances or FD crash and brush trucks. Why are chase cars different? Most of the ones around here are run til they are pulled by fleet mgmt for being unsafe or too expensive to repair.

Reactions: pdk9

got_yogurt

May 21, 2010
BC, Canada
Nice install! Glad you're doing more than just reselling now, the work looks top notch! Are these going for decals or is BCAS using unmarked vehicles now?

What's the difference between the micro pulse and micro pulse ultra?

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Nice install! Glad you're doing more than just reselling now, the work looks top notch! Are these going for decals or is BCAS using unmarked vehicles now?

What's the difference between the micro pulse and micro pulse ultra?
Hi T.  Yes, we got a new installer who is pretty good. 

It's going for decals.  They are destined for low-priority medical calls in small communities up north. I gather it's half way between a community nurse and full-up BCEHS ambulance service.

The Micropulse is thicker and not quite as bright, though still very respectable.  The Ultra is only about 0.3" thick (fender lights, in this vid) so they are great to mount anywhere.  They are really bright out to about 45 degrees off-axis, then they just fall off pretty quickly.  The are super thin, though, so they surface mount under the tailgate on this Durango.

The Ultras are also now available in dual colour (not split colour). 

Not bad for a low profile upfit. Finally a rear lightstick with a decent pattern!!!

Personally, though, I'm not a fan of any of the TLFs for dodges except for the brake light wigwag (I think the whole tail light flash is tacky/stupid, but I like the charger brake light wigwag), don't love the HLF in the fogs lights, & I would've preferred IPX6 over the micropulses in the grill & fender b/c I think they give better off-axis. I don't have a problem with mounting lights on fenders as long as it's not on my POV lol, but if the customer didn't want low pro (which is kinda silly IMHO when vehicles are marked), then I would've liked to see a larger intersection lighthead
We don't have private ambulances here.  These are provincially-owned (government) vehicles.  They keep these things until they are beat then sell them for next to nothing.  It's not like they keep them for 3 yrs and trade them in. 

We can't flash the brake lights because they are federally-mandated lights and we can't play with them.  I know many do, but this is a government agency who is very big on standards and compliance, so we left the DOT stuff alone.

We can't flash the headlights because of the DRL's . DRL's on these vehicles are PWM high beams, so they use the same filament that the wigwags would.  No one had a flasher that they knew would work in a 2015 Durango with DRL's (even Sound-Off's techies didn't know) and given that the Dodge is mostly CANBUS, we weren't willing to risk it.  Flashing the fogs was a distant second in terms of our preferences, but that's the way it had to work (either that or we don't flash either of them).

We gave them the option of adding a couple Micropulse's or somethign to the rear around the license plate, but they didn't want that.  The rear flashing running light is actually really effective at a distance.  We'd normally only put them in as kind of a 'neat to have', but in this case it worked out really well for what the customer wanted/needed.

I agree with you re: slick-top marked vehicles.  I'd rather have a bar on the roof.  We actually had bars ordered and delivered for these vehicles, but the customer changed their mind and went slick-top.  Given what these vehicles will be doing, in this case it makes sense.

IPX6's would have been better on the grille but their size didn't work where we wanted to mount them.  The MPS's fit perfectly.

Reactions: got_yogurt

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benny22

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.