2015 explorer and linking reverse lights with warning.

crt6mrt-265

May 23, 2010
Central NJ
So I have a 2015 Ford Explorer.. civilian model. On my last Explorer (07) I was able to link my feniex cannons into the reverse lights so they would come on steady when in reverse. It was a simple set up, ground was already in place and connect a mode wire to the positive of the reverse harness.
Fast forward to the 2015. I attempted to do the same but once in reverse the the stock bulbs and cannons come on quick and both go out. Disconnect the cannons and the stock bulbs don’t illuminate until I turn the vehicle off and back on and then they work without the cannons linked in, almost like a safety thing in the computer. I wondered if it was the cannons so I tried a pair of nforce lights… same result. I am a bit stumped and wondered without a blue print or similar system… can this still be achieved or is there something with the vehicles electrical system not allowing it. Thanks all

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
It might be something with the bcm not liking the extra load. Ive never worked on the civilian model, but do they have a bulb monitoring system? I would try using the reverse signal to trigger a relay to turn on the cannons.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Are you using the ground from the taillights? If you are, I would try running a separate ground, not sure if that would make a difference, but it might.

crt6mrt-265

May 23, 2010
Central NJ
Are you using the ground from the taillights? If you are, I would try running a separate ground, not sure if that would make a difference, but it might.
I tried the common ground for the cannons and the reverse ground and same results. The first time both cannons were linked into one reverse light and I thought ok some type of overload safety so I tried only one with both ground set ups and nothing lol.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
I tried the common ground for the cannons and the reverse ground and same results. The first time both cannons were linked into one reverse light and I thought ok some type of overload safety so I tried only one with both ground set ups and nothing lol.
Ive used the power from the reverse lights to power some T-IONs on the 20+ PIU, and never had an issue. But I ground to the chassis, I don’t know if that makes a difference. The problem you describe with the lights turning off, and not turning back on until you restart the vehicle definitely sounds like the bcm recognizing something isn’t right. I would try the relay route. That should be such a low power draw, that the bcm shouldn’t notice that.

Reactions: SEPD_52

delcofirecop

Jul 22, 2012
usa pa
The bcm in the civilian model doesn’t like extra loads never tried with a relay but like the guy above me said it should work.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
If you have the trailer wiring in place, I would use that over adding relays. It’s already there, not monitored by the BCM. Less work and less hardware to fail than adding relays. Although adding relay is not hard.

SEPD_52

Dec 24, 2014
Illinois
My 2015 FPIU had dual color SoundOff nForce LEDs that would turn steady white in reverse. The same exact thing happened - the reverse lights and the SOS LEDs turned off after a couple of seconds in reverse until it was restarted. Same thing repeatedly happened. Our up-fitter then installed relays for the SOS LEDs and it hasn't been a problem since. NoLimitSquads is right on the money.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
@thebluesignal

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.