2015 Ford Explorer XLT

EMS7EMT

Feb 25, 2011
Virginia
Hello Everyone.

This is my new vehicle, 2015 Ford Explorer XLT, I am a EMS Captain in NJ , vehicle primarily used to respond to the building but occasionally scene responses if needed. 

This is a lease vehicle so I didn't want to permanently mount anything that required creating new holes. The keypad for siren is double sided mounting tape and does not come close to my knee while getting in an out of vehicle. Rear and side lights are also double sided mounting tape. 

Lights:

Whelen Slimlighter Red/Blue above RVM

2 Sound off nForce in grille , they are red/blue/clear

License plate bracket with two whelen Lin-4 Blue (recycled from old vehicle)

2 Sound off Ghost in rear side windows Red/White and Blue/White

1 911 EP LS12 red/blue in rear window 

Siren:

Federal Signal Smart Siren SM 100 watt

Speaker is Federal Signal AS124 100 watt mounted underneath the driver side headlight (found existing hole and used an L bracket to attach with bolts)

Not the cleanest wiring in the world but everything is loomed where needed and fused. All wiring runs to a 100 amp circuit breakers underneath hood and accessories all meet underneath driver seat where the siren brains are 

To be installed :

I have two sound off LED inserts to be placed in the taillights that are red/blue 

Motorola Astro Spectra W3 VHF Handheld radio (ordered) , also figuring out where to mount an antenna (glass mount? or hood mount?)

I think that is about it for now. Constructive Criticism appreciated. 

Video : 

Night video coming soon ! 

1 - EmqbnTs.jpg

2 - AoBmuOD.jpg

3 - pjA7k0m.jpg

4 - kIvbpxN.jpg

5 - 3m8XaiL.jpg

6 - wNZUujd.jpg

7 - 1k1vOqA.jpg

8 - kSWDEJF.jpg

9 - Nv511Cr.jpg

Reactions: Mrlunchbox

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Install looks good. My only concern is one I've began to notice on the Explorers. During the day, there is severe glare on the windshield rendering a visor-line mounted light almost worthless as experienced in this video. I would consider a dual or single Talon/Avenger style light on the dash to help with front warning if possible.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Looks good for a basic install. A few suggestions:

1) forget about the LAWs. Sell those and the LS12, so that you can get a larger lightstick in the rear (ie D6, ultralite8, E66) to avoid drilling

2) get a HLF; no drilling required

3) I'd also get a dual avenger for the dash. I think it'd give you 3 levels of warning ( grill, dash, headliner) and be especially helpful during the daytime when the steep slope of the windshield masks the headliner light's output. If you could wait for a multi color avenger and flash the whole unit (both sides) all blue --> all red at a moderate speed, I think that'd look sick

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Not bad as is. I think this is the first time I've ever said this but the intersection lights need to be on a faster pattern. 

MATT3045

May 23, 2010
Akron Ohio area
How did you mount the Sound Off grill lights? I have been thinking about getting a pair for my 2013 Explorer.

EMS7EMT

Feb 25, 2011
Virginia
How did you mount the Sound Off grill lights? I have been thinking about getting a pair for my 2013 Explorer.
As bad as it sounds, they are mounted with 3m Double Sided Mounting tape (red one) on top and bottom and wedged in there....Like nearly bending grille...they are solid and no moving anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

silverunicorn

Jun 25, 2010
USA / PA
Very Patriotic :)

In the video it looks liek they switch from red to blue to white.

I lke the install though, but agree about the windshield glare. Love the newer Explorers. Hope it serves you well!

Chris

EMS7EMT

Feb 25, 2011
Virginia
**UPDATE**

Motorola VHF Astro W3 Handheld Control Head radio was installed. Radio is mounted underneath driver seat hidden by the floor mat (plenty of airflow) 

L Bracket VHF whip has been installed on roof rack.

The control is mounted along the shifter and my knee never hits the mic, I have MDC sidetone enabled just in case for those special moments where the stars align and i am cursing someone out. 

IMG_20140915_132759.jpg

IMG_20140915_132739.jpg

IMG_20140915_132725.jpg

EMS7EMT

Feb 25, 2011
Virginia
Do i at least get credit for he brain mounting idea?

HAHA ! , Yes you get all the credit for that, I have been stalking all explorer posts planning this install. Brains of siren and stuff mounted under driver seat, Radio is mounted underneath Passenger seat. 

UPDATE 

Night Video added ! 

This includes the addition of two Sound off LED inserts (LAWS) R/B in the rear taillights. Both were set to Warp pattern (eventually going to change) 

And I Do apologize, I completely forgot about the vertical video issue! , My bad ...

dwk270

Aug 29, 2012
Oregon
As far as the video during the day... weak. The lighting package in the front seems almost to minimal to be affective. Now after watching the night video, the lighting package seems a thousand times better. I do like the ingenuity of not drilling holes. Pretty impressive install considering that.

jzd441

Jan 8, 2013
Nassau County NY
was it easy to get through the fire wall ?? ... I am in the process of lighting up my new 15 xlt as well ... As for the headlights i'm pretty sure its not worth the drilling and you're better off finding other options ... the Interceptor headlights from ford will run you about 789 dollars... this is not including the law hide aways for the turn's and the vertex that get snapped into the side for the side warning ... If you find any off a wreck .. GO FOR IT !!! and if you don't let me know cause I will haha ... as for mine ...

Rear

4 vertex - solid red in the brakes

Solid Blue in the back ups

4 Whelen Ions - 2 Split red / blue inside affixed to the headliner ...

2 On a license plate bracket 1 solid red 1 solid blue ...

Front - (not completed yet picked up the car a week ago )

6 Whelen Ions

2 Clear - To act as a headlight flasher

2 Blue - for volunteer use ( ny )

2 Red - For work use

1 Whelen Slimlighter  Red/Clear - 5mm above the rear view on the headliner

1 Whelen Spitfire Ion - Blue below the rear view

and 2 ( not sure of the color ) Lights (not sure which lights yet ) on the same license plate bracket facing outwards ... probably going to be clear....

inside Is the whelen hhs2200 (figuring out where to mount the control head with no drilling

a Motorola XPR4550 remote head as well as a BCD996XT - with BCRH96 Remote Head in the center console both have through the glass antennas so their will be no drilling ...

there's a video of the rear of the car I'll update when the front is finished ...

IMG_3232.JPGIMG_3230.JPG

Jim

JZD441@gmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:

firedogg2

Nov 1, 2011
Fort Myers, Florida
Not a bad install. I agree with most of what was said from the other members. Just a couple observations I have. Your intersection lights need to be on a faster pattern. When you're inching out into an intersection that light is the only thing seen. You want a faster pattern with short interruptions between flashes. If you watch the pattern you have yours set to, one side flashes then the other side. When the other side is flashing, the first side is doing nothing thus not providing any warning. I'm ok with them flashing opposite of each other, just try to minimize the time frame that the light head is off so you can get the most warning out of it. Lastly, it doesn't look like your circuit breaker is mounted to anything. It could be that I just can't tell from the picture but from what I can see it looks like it is just sitting on top of the battery. you want to have this secured to prevent it from moving and possibly arcing. Also you don't want to run the power wire across the top of the battery mount like you have. Try and follow factory wiring and secure your wires to them. If the vehicle manufacture feels their wires are routed safely then its safe to say you would be good running your wires there as well. Hope this information is useful. Great start. Keep it up.

Casey 

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.