2016 Ford Interceptor Utility Feniex/Whelen Build

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
So, I got my first big build for somebody other than my fire dept. This is for a large subdivision security department that is part of 2 counties. This vehicle is used for patrol. I guess you could say, are a pseudo police department, enforcing subdivision rules, speed limits, etc and assisting county pd's and fire/ems as needed. So anyways, they've had trouble with several upfitters providing them with shoddy work and shoddy equipment. I stepped in an told them I could do much better and I finally got my chance. They took delivery of a 2016 Ford Interceptor Utility and I got to work.

2016 Ford Interceptor Utility included:
Front Aux warning (Vertex in fog lights)
Front Wiring Prep
Rear Quarter Glass Whelen Ion

Equipment added:
Front:
Apollo Dual Colored ILB Red/Blue w/ Flood override
Cobra 400 Red/Blue
Feniex Triton Speaker
Whelen Police Interceptor Utility Drivers Side Speaker Bracket

Rear:
Cobra 600 Red/Blue
Apollo F12 R/A B/A
Apollo License Plate Bracket

Interior:
D&R Police Interceptor Utility Center Console
Icom 5021 VHF Radio
Feniex 4200 Controller
Storm Pro 200 W
Havis Rear Equipment Tray
Blue Sea Systems 80 AMP Breaker
Blue Sea Systems Fuse Block w/ Ground Terminals

I have the front Cobra 400 mounted to the front bumper with a L Bracket.
The Cobra 600 is mounted on a double L Bracket with 2 nutserts in the rear with 1 slit in the headliner to put it back.

The rear equipment tray is only partially mounted, as Havis keeps neglecting to send everything in one shipment. I've had to call Havis 2 times now. The first time they forgot all the brackets, the 2nd time, they sent half the brackets. So I'm still waiting on the remaining brackets.

Ford also neglected to package the vehicle with all the pigtails. That cause a big slow down tracking the pigtails down since the dealership had no clue what was supposed to be included. Luckily I was able to get all the pigtails needed to complete the project.

I'm also still waiting on the dash cam, radar and a couple console face plates. They've been having trouble through their supplier on getting the equipment on time. For now, it'll be on the road as a supervisor vehicle before it goes on the patrol rotation.

The Apollos F12's are mounted to the license plate mount and wiring is run through next to the license plate lights and then into the rear lift gate.

All the wiring follows the stock wiring path from Ford.

ai42.photobucket.com_albums_e344_Cave_ranam_20160617_025623.jpg Feniex Triton w/ Whelen Bracket

ai42.photobucket.com_albums_e344_Cave_ranam_20160617_025646.jpg Apollo ILB Red/Blue w/ Takedown

ai42.photobucket.com_albums_e344_Cave_ranam_20160617_025611.jpg Cobra 400 Red/Blue

ai42.photobucket.com_albums_e344_Cave_ranam_20160621_160641.jpg Cobra 400 Red/Blue

ai42.photobucket.com_albums_e344_Cave_ranam_20160617_025514.jpg Cobra 600 Red/Blue

ai42.photobucket.com_albums_e344_Cave_ranam_20160617_025508.jpg Cobra 600 Red/Blue

ai42.photobucket.com_albums_e344_Cave_ranam_20160617_012344.jpg Equipment Mounted to Havis Tray

ai42.photobucket.com_albums_e344_Cave_ranam_20160617_025658.jpg D&R Center Console

ai42.photobucket.com_albums_e344_Cave_ranam_20160621_160630.jpg Apollo ILB Takedowns

ai42.photobucket.com_albums_e344_Cave_ranam_20160621_160655.jpg Rear Apollo w/ License Plate Bracket

Original Front Patterns

Slide Switch 1: Rear Apollo R/A B/A, Cobra 600, Rear Ions

Slide Switch 2: Apollo ILB, Whelen Vertex, Rear Ions, Cobra 600, Rear Apollo (also used for FST with takedowns)

Slide Switch 3 Parked: Apollo ILB, Whelen Vertex, Cobra 400, Rear Ions, Cobra 600, Rear Apollo

Slide Switch 3 Drive: Apollo ILB, Whelen Vertex, Cobra 400, Rear Ions, Cobra 600, Rear Apollo

Now let me just say, I'm not a fan of the final pattern chosen for the Cobra 400, but the customer loves that pattern (I have no clue, they like Cylon lights) and they changed the parked Apollo ILB pattern to that as well. :( I stressed to them that the original patterns I set are better, more effective and safer, but it's their car and they want what they want. I have it set up to change the patterns quickly. So I'm really hoping they'll decide to change it. I think I'll make a bet with him on which is more effective after the vehicle is out on the road, since he won't change it at this time. And they refused HLF and rear corner LED's. They've had issues in the past and are skittish of using them again. I tried for it and got shot down along with a full size lightbar. :(

Anyways, let me know what you think. Thanks!

CACBAND

Nov 11, 2010
Bering Sea
Is the red/blue legal for them or do the cops look the other way? The final pattern on the bar on #2 is much better, mixed feelings on #3 but if they like it....

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Is the red/blue legal for them or do the cops look the other way? The final pattern on the bar on #2 is much better, mixed feelings on #3 but if they like it....

It's legal for them. They've had permission from the state since the 70's to run red/blue.

I like the Feniex "Attack" pattern for driving on slide switch 3. That pattern is very effective and use it on my personal vehicle responding to fire calls. However, that "Cylon" style pattern they put on the cobra 400 and Apollo ILB parked mode is terrible. It's almost like more of a novelty pattern than an actual warning pattern. I will convince them to change it at some point! But like you said, if they like it...

Reactions: Mrlunchbox

Jul 14, 2014
NV
Very nice install, like how you ran the wiring and the build. I'm not going down the, cops vs security road, just stick to the install you did, awesome job.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Nice work. I wish that the grill warning had the stud mount ions for grill warning (I'm not a fan of the lower level grill lighting on NGPI utilities or the customer's choice of flash pattern).

Outta curiosity, how does the security co assist PD & FD / what powers do they have? In Florida, for example, armed security officers can only run Amber/Green lights and cannot remove their gun unless it's for self protection only.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
So they carry guns?
One can only hope if they look like cops.
Yes, they can carry.

Very nice install, like how you ran the wiring and the build. I'm not going down the, cops vs security road, just stick to the install you did, awesome job.
Thanks!! Much appreciated! It was a bit of a pain and very stressful, especially this being my first large build, but it worked out in the end. As much as I cursed it during, I'm happy with the results. I would definitely do another install.

Nice work. I wish that the grill warning had the stud mount ions for grill warning (I'm not a fan of the lower level grill lighting on NGPI utilities or the customer's choice of flash pattern).

Outta curiosity, how does the security co assist PD & FD / what powers do they have? In Florida, for example, armed security officers can only run Amber/Green lights and cannot remove their gun unless it's for self protection only.

I agree, I would've loved for them to at least have the cutouts, if they didn't run the Ion there, I could've put something in there. I would've liked some more mid-level lighting. I was hoping the headlight would've had the lights in there too. I know the lighting is pretty low still, but with the correct pattern(keyword: correct pattern) the cobra is still very effective. I'm trying to convince him to change it, but it'll be a matter of time.

Onto the heated security vs PD:

Many of them are deputized through one of the counties their in, but not the other. They do have limited police powers. Some of them are off duty officers working a part time job. Others are trying to get into law enforcement and use it as a stepping stone. They only patrol inside the subdivision which is gated and is considered private property. One of the largest in the state I think. They primarily enforce subdivision rules and traffic infractions inside the gates only.

Normally, most security wouldn't run red/blue, but they got permission from the state in the 70's, if not earlier. So they're probably one of the few or only ones that can. (I don't think the state would give that permission out anymore)

They assist Fire much in the same way other PD's do, arriving on scene prior to us getting there. Give us patient updates, begin CPR or use the AED, traffic control during a crash or fire, etc.

They'll assist the PD's inside the subdivision when looking for someone, they've found drugs, residential alarms, etc. They'll also assist with traffic control during crashes on the perimeter roads or field sobriety nearby when other officers have an extended eta or are extremely busy.

I know the debate for security vs PD is a hot one, but let me just say this: They operate within the laws of the state and county and any permissions granted to them from those entities. They've been doing this for quite some time as the subdivision turns 50 this year and they've been doing this for almost as long. So if there was an issue, I know the state would've stepped in already and told them to stop.

FireMedic129

Jul 19, 2011
Kentucky
Where does the Main (Looks like 4ga) power cable originate?? Did you use the upfitter power in the front console, behind the passenger rear panel, or run it all the way from the battery?

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Where does the Main (Looks like 4ga) power cable originate?? Did you use the upfitter power in the front console, behind the passenger rear panel, or run it all the way from the battery?
It's actually 8 awg. There's a rear 80 amp power access that's underneath the 2nd floor panel, just in front of the spare tire cover. I ran it from there, under the styrofoam and crossmembers to the tray. It used to be on the passenger side under the side panel. They moved it for 2016 and up.

FireMedic129

Jul 19, 2011
Kentucky
exactly.......
I took delivery of the very 1st 2016 PIU in the entire state of KY, we built it for a local EMS agency.
I wanted to see what your response was since you don't seem to do this professionally, as this was "first big build for somebody other than my fire dept". I was hoping that you didn't run it all the way from the front and not put our breaker within 18in of the power source, which is industry standard.

A 6 head stick fits in that grill very easily. We put a Dual or Tri color Sound Off Signal Nforce stick in just about every one we build. I will not share my opinions of your choice of lighting equipment!!

You should look at putting the radio above the controller. with the radio on the bottom officers will tend to rest their arm/hand on it while using the light and siren controller. I have had officers come back to the shop after they have pushed the radio out of the console bracket. Some also use the console when entering and exiting the vehicle
I always put the radio at the top.

You need to invest in more wire colors, there is way to much red wire. From the siren to the 4200 is OK to be all the same color, kinda. But every other lead should be a different color. It makes tracing a bad wire, tying into the system at a later date, and overall general service easier.

I have contracts with some departments that the contract states that we have to use different color wire for every function, all wire must be labeled every 18in, and that every car must be exactly the same.............that is tedious when you are building 25-40 vehicles for the same department!!!

Overall it looks good, the wiring is very well laid out. If you plan on doing this professionally, please don't say "I already am", I would look into offering your customers some better quality equipment.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
exactly.......
I took delivery of the very 1st 2016 PIU in the entire state of KY, we built it for a local EMS agency.
I wanted to see what your response was since you don't seem to do this professionally, as this was "first big build for somebody other than my fire dept". I was hoping that you didn't run it all the way from the front and not put our breaker within 18in of the power source, which is industry standard.

A 6 head stick fits in that grill very easily. We put a Dual or Tri color Sound Off Signal Nforce stick in just about every one we build. I will not share my opinions of your choice of lighting equipment!!

You should look at putting the radio above the controller. with the radio on the bottom officers will tend to rest their arm/hand on it while using the light and siren controller. I have had officers come back to the shop after they have pushed the radio out of the console bracket. Some also use the console when entering and exiting the vehicle
I always put the radio at the top.

You need to invest in more wire colors, there is way to much red wire. From the siren to the 4200 is OK to be all the same color, kinda. But every other lead should be a different color. It makes tracing a bad wire, tying into the system at a later date, and overall general service easier.

I have contracts with some departments that the contract states that we have to use different color wire for every function, all wire must be labeled every 18in, and that every car must be exactly the same.............that is tedious when you are building 25-40 vehicles for the same department!!!

Overall it looks good, the wiring is very well laid out. If you plan on doing this professionally, please don't say "I already am", I would look into offering your customers some better quality equipment.

Thanks for the complements.

I didn't realize until later that the a 6 head would've fit there before the build. I will keep that in mind however, If I do get to do another one. I will keep your advice in mind if I get future builds. I know I need more wiring colors. I just don't have the capital to get that many colors and gauges at the moment. I'm also looking into a heat shrink label maker to use on builds if I start doing more. I do like the thought of labeling the wires every 18in or so, clever. and convenient. For the equipment, well, I find nothing wrong with Feniex or Whelen and many other departments around the country feel the same. Believe me, this is a huge step up from the lighting and sirens they were previously using. So that's all I'll say about that.

As for doing this professionally, I definitely don't do this professionally, nor would I claim to. Would I like to? Maybe. Right now, I am just dipping my toes in the water and seeing if this is something I'd like to pursue further and can pursue further. Like many on here who have turned our lighting and siren hobbies in to small businesses and wanting to provide quality builds and equipment to our public safety professionals.

And before anyone jumps down my throat about testing the waters on this build, it was to help my brother in-law. After having fixed some issues on another squad for him due to poor install quality and equipment, I was approached by him to do this.

PTRJason

Jul 25, 2010
Silverpeak, NV
ahhh the LOFS. Yes most are cross deputized. It is a huge private community, and I mean HUGE, and its gated, so they can run any color they want regardless.

They have nice trucks, I miss working with them when I was on Merrillville and South Haven.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.