Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
It would help if we knew the vehicle. Pictures of

the actual vehicle would be even better

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Apollo and Cannons can both be used as additional stt lighting. 

The new widelux units will have the capability also but you will have to wait a while for those. 

Reactions: Tom@Feniex

Tom@Feniex

May 21, 2015
Austin, Texas
I would prefer to use Apollo F6 surface mounts with the 2 mode option. I would use mode 1 as my park lamp with an inline resistor. Use mode 2 as your brake function. If you are wanting to use the F6 as stop, tail, and emergency flash I would use mode 1 with an inline resistor and diode for tail function. Then I would use the brake function by bypassing the resistor and diode combo and wire that directly to mode 1. This leaves mode 2 open for any type of flash pattern of your choice. 

Reactions: Mrlunchbox

CPSS

Aug 1, 2013
Clifton Park, NY
The F-6 looks like it would fit perfectly where a standard 3rd brake light would be. I dont need it to be a tail light. The truck has plenty of tail lights and clearance type lights.  Could the 2 color model be hooked up to have the white light on a switch for a work type light?

One of the flash patterns is "brake light", is this steady on, or does it flash a couple of times then go to steady?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
The F-6 looks like it would fit perfectly where a standard 3rd brake light would be. I dont need it to be a tail light. The truck has plenty of tail lights and clearance type lights.  Could the 2 color model be hooked up to have the white light on a switch for a work type light?

One of the flash patterns is "brake light", is this steady on, or does it flash a couple of times then go to steady?
You could do that, however it would no longer be able to function as a brake light AND a tail light as you only have two mode activation wires on the F6

The Brake Light pattern is a burst of three flashes then steady on. 

sheazle

May 31, 2013
Missouri
If you are talking about your CHMSL (Center High-Mount Stop Lamp) you should know that in the US federal law specifically prohibits it from flashing or illuminating red under any condition except the brake pedal being applied.

I know a lot of ambulances ignore this law but if it was my vehicle I wouldn't flash the 3rd brake light.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
If you are talking about your CHMSL (Center High-Mount Stop Lamp) you should know that in the US federal law specifically prohibits it from flashing or illuminating red under any condition except the brake pedal being applied.

I know a lot of ambulances ignore this law but if it was my vehicle I wouldn't flash the 3rd brake light.
Commonly ignored down here and have never heard of anyone enforcing that in florida at least. 

Reactions: sheazle

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
we are going to be using the apollo and Cannons as lighting on custom motorcycles we are going to be building soon as well. 

Reactions: Sparky_911

CPSS

Aug 1, 2013
Clifton Park, NY
This truck doesnt have a 3rd center mounted brake light, but I want to add one.  If I use the F-6 just as a brake light, ( NOT a TAIL LIGHT), can I use the 2nd color (white) as a work light?  If so, what model am I looking at?

There is no federal law that prohibits the CHMSL from the pulse to steady function as long as the brakes are applied. That's not to say there's not a state law. For example the California Vehicle Code restricts the number of pulses to three before it must steady burn.

If your truck has a GVW over 26,000lbs making it a CMV you'll want to check the FMCSA regulations.

This truck doesnt have a 3rd center mounted brake light, but I want to add one.  If I use the F-6 just as a brake light, ( NOT a TAIL LIGHT), can I use the 2nd color (white) as a work light?  If so, what model am I looking at?
Simple answer is yes. All you need is an Apollo dual color model in red white. You may want to checkout FEVER's website since they are already shipping the newly updated dual color Apollos that are now brighter.

sheazle

May 31, 2013
Missouri
There is no federal law that prohibits the CHMSL from the pulse to steady function as long as the brakes are applied. That's not to say there's not a state law. For example the California Vehicle Code restricts the number of pulses to three before it must steady burn.

If your truck has a GVW over 26,000lbs making it a CMV you'll want to check the FMCSA regulations.
Yeah sorry, I was referring to using it as a warning light. A lot of ambulances around here have a 900 series super LED in the middle rear, flashes under warning mode and goes steady when braking, that's what I was talking about NOT doing. I find it very distracting, regardless of the law.

I would prefer to use Apollo F6 surface mounts with the 2 mode option. I would use mode 1 as my park lamp with an inline resistor. Use mode 2 as your brake function. If you are wanting to use the F6 as stop, tail, and emergency flash I would use mode 1 with an inline resistor and diode for tail function. Then I would use the brake function by bypassing the resistor and diode combo and wire that directly to mode 1. This leaves mode 2 open for any type of flash pattern of your choice.
I did this with my POV when I replaced the front and rear turn signals with Cannon's I got it done after some trial and error. How about Feniex makes an optional plug and play unit that plies in tetween the quick disconnect on the light head and flasher. This would save me a fair amount of time on installs.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I did this with my POV when I replaced the front and rear turn signals with Cannon's I got it done after some trial and error. How about Feniex makes an optional plug and play unit that plies in tetween the quick disconnect on the light head and flasher. This would save me a fair amount of time on installs.
the only issue with this is all of the different type of connectors out there. We stock a ton of Feniex stuff, but I doubt I'd be able to stock every make and model connector. 

And I believe the voltage HAS to go through the cannon flasher. Failure to do so would ruin the head

Last edited by a moderator:
the only issue with this is all of the different type of connectors out there. We stock a ton of Feniex stuff, but I doubt I'd be able to stock every make and model connector. 

And I believe the voltage HAS to go through the cannon flasher. Failure to do so would ruin the head
That's not what I meant exactly. I just mean something that would plug into the standard cannon pigtail that would add a resistor and a resistor bypass.

When I did the turn sing also I used the inline resistor you stock on one trigger for parking lights than the second trigger for the turn signal and the third trigger for warning. However I prefer to have two triggers available for warning so the pattern changes when the vehicle is penetrateing an intersection.

Tom@Feniex

May 21, 2015
Austin, Texas
Adam,

This would be an ideal proposition however the Cannons can not take 12V directly to the diodes. All of the voltage is being regulated by the Cannon driver down to a required specification so it does not burn out on you. I'm sure tons of people had the same idea and provided direct power that ultimately caused failures. Hope this helps.  :D

Adam,

This would be an ideal proposition however the Cannons can not take 12V directly to the diodes. All of the voltage is being regulated by the Cannon driver down to a required specification so it does not burn out on you. I'm sure tons of people had the same idea and provided direct power that ultimately caused failures. Hope this helps.  :D
No I did it behind the inline flasher I was just thinking out side the box on the placement of a factory Feniex option. I would never bypass the inline flasher. I think I may have just misspoken.

CPSS

Aug 1, 2013
Clifton Park, NY
Installed the F-6 in a housing from a 2013 Chev 2500 pickup, a little cutting of the housing with a dremel tool and a bit of silicone to seal it up. Connected the RED to the brake light circuit, put the WHITE on a switch for a work light. 

I've got pictures on photobucket, but this forum wont let me link it ( How do I post pictures?)

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I just ordered the Apollo F-6 dual color (red/white) it was listed as CLOSEOUT, not sure what that meant, hope I ordered the right one ......
if this was from my site, the closeouts are the F6 version with 3 LED of each color. 

It will work fine for you. 

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Installed the F-6 in a housing from a 2013 Chev 2500 pickup, a little cutting of the housing with a dremel tool and a bit of silicone to seal it up. Connected the RED to the brake light circuit, put the WHITE on a switch for a work light.

I've got pictures on photobucket, but this forum wont let me link it ( How do I post pictures?)
U must use the advanced editor if you are on mobile.... Looking forward to seeing the mod

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE

That is incorrect.  FMVSS No. 108 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard) prohibits the third brake light from doing anything else other than coming on when the brake pedal is pressed.  NO PULSING.  And since Federal Law outweighs State Law (including California), that law is above all other state, municipal and local laws allowing it.

With regards to enforcement, it's up to the Officer.  My take on them ignoring that law is if they want to ignore enforcing that law, then they should ignore enforcing some of the other laws against you when in violation.  You can't pick and choose, it's all or nothing.

Just because a company makes a product to flash the third brake light, doesn't make it legal.  They are just looking to make money.  Whether you get fined or not is not their problem and you can't blame them for it either.  We make headlight flashers.  They are illegal in some States.  Is it my fault if you get busted using one in a State that doesn't allow it?  Nope.  In this case, the CHMSL flasher is illegal in all States.  Just something to think about.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
i love it. when i looked at it, i sat here thinking on how i could do the same to my Jeep. Sadly it wouldnt work for mine

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.