3x7 twistlock housing + strobe bulb question ADDED PICS 9-17

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
I just obtained a 3x7 sized dual twistlock reflector housing that had a single strobe bulb in what I though was made by Whelen, based on the seller's only picture and description. Turns out it's not, and I need to try to find out what make, model, or type it is so I can get another bulb for it.

The housing is 3x7 in size and chrome plated and has a hole in each outer corner to fasten a lens to it and mount it to a surface. I tried a Whelen and a Tomar 3x7 lens on it and both fit it perfectly. It has two reflector compartments of equal size with holes in each that accept twistlock bulbs, but my Whelen and Code 3 twistlock bulbs don't fit or lock into the hole, as it is slightly larger that both of their base's diameter. The back of the housing has 4 thin hollow plastic pieces with small holes protruding from the areas near the corners that appear to accept small screws to mount it from the rear. The helix strobe bulb that is in it has a black plastic base, with bright white sealant on the back around the three wires, but no stamping or markings. The male 3 pin connector on the end of the wires is identical to the type Whelen uses and there is a factory printed paper tag on the wires that reads AB-0804 but it has no other writing.

Sorry about not having pictures, as I know that would help immensely, but can anyone tell me exactly what make and model I have by only using this description? It's definitely not a Whelen, Tomar, or a Code 3.

Thanks in advance for any help.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
This is going to require a picture.....

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
Without being able to see the inside and only being able to guess from the dual appearing silloette under the lens, yes, this 3x7 module appears to be very similar, without the outer housing and mount, although that pic makes the module to look more to be about 2x7 size. Like I said earlier, it is identical to the original Whelen 3x7 dual module that had a tan colored backing, and it doesn't have the "kickers" on each side of the twistlock hole that the Whelen modules use now. Plus, the holes in this module are slightly larger than a Whelen and won't accept Whelen or Code 3 twistlocks, which are the only two types I have on hand to test with. The only helix twistlock strobe in it has a black plastic base with two small plastic tabs in the front on either side of the bulb and bright white hard coat sealant on the back and has the letters and numbers AB-0804 factory printed on a paper adhesively wrapped around the wiring. If I could find out the maker, I would like to get an additional strobe tube for the empty hole.

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
Nope, it's not a Tomar, as I have some of theirs and they are completely different. This dual module looks just like an original Whelen dual twistlock module before they added the sidekick optic enhancement to the reflectors. It has four extended plastic tabs in the back corners, apparently to aid in mounting. The diameter of the twistlock holes is slightly larger than a Whelen or Code 3 twistlock base as they are loose and do not make a solid fit. A 3x7 sized 700 series Whelen lens and a Tomar 37 series lens fits and aligns with the corner screwholes perfectly.

Anybody got a solid lead about the maker of this thing?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
SireLite said:
Have you got no way of posting a picture?
+1....this isn't going to get solved w/o a picture.

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
OK, I was finally able to get some pics made of this reflector module and strobe tube. Trouble is, they are in my eBay auction and I can't get them to post here. If anyone wants to check it, the auction number is 160482108858 and it ends Sunday. If someone can move them here, I would appreciate it.

Also, check out my other eBay auctions for some NOS vintage Whelen strobes and other lighting items!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.