4.5" LED spotlight for motorcycle

nluszcz

Dec 1, 2011
Kentucky
Never understood why motorcycles feel the need to blind oncoming traffic.... but if a car drives with high beams on, they get a ticket. Only times I've ever come close to hitting a motorcycle were when he completely blinded me and I couldn't tell if I was still in my lane or wandering. Even in the day they make me blink and turn away... DRL's seem plenty effective and they aren't aimed at your head.

car54

May 24, 2010
michigan
nluszcz, Some even have wig wags now and look like cops? Anyways back on subject mcpd2025, check sirennet.com they have some for like $115 or less I think. Whelen makes them is on their website as well. Good luck.

V

VTfireftr

I replaced the spots on my Victory Touring Cruiser with Whelen clear Par 36 spots.

They area direct replacement for the sealed beams. These suckers are really bright and draw almost nothing amp wise. I also replaced my 7" sealed beam headlight with a Truck-lite LED headlight.

I have my spots aimed down so I don't blind oncoming traffic.

Marc

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
Before I sold my BMW RT1150 (stupid move), I added a set of MOTOLIGHTS driving lights that attached to the forks down by the front tire. Rocky River OH PD uses a similar setup on their Harleys. Having the lights separated from the headlamp like that makes the bike MUCH more noticeable when coming down the road than when all three lights are grouped together in a line.

You might want to consider doing that and leaving the spots hooked up to your high beams for when you want a LOT of light at night.

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
car54 said:
nluszcz, Some even have wig wags now and look like cops? Anyways back on subject mcpd2025, check sirennet.com they have some for like $115 or less I think. Whelen makes them is on their website as well. Good luck.

It is not a wig-wag, it is a slow pulsation of the high beam headlight and is 100% legal in the USA as long as it is an official motorcycle modulator with DOT stamp approval. Installing a headlight flasher for an emergency vehicle is illegal as it has to pulse at the correct rate to be legal on a motorcycle. It is not impersonation of a motorcycle cop as motorcycle headlight modulators they are legal in all 50 states.

Headlight Modulator Federal Law

opskmallory

Jun 14, 2010
Utah
nluszcz said:
Never understood why motorcycles feel the need to blind oncoming traffic.... but if a car drives with high beams on, they get a ticket. Only times I've ever come close to hitting a motorcycle were when he completely blinded me and I couldn't tell if I was still in my lane or wandering. Even in the day they make me blink and turn away... DRL's seem plenty effective and they aren't aimed at your head.

Because 50% of all motorcycle crashes are from cars failing to yield the right of right, generally turning left in front of motorcycles. Likely caused by the driver not seeing the motorcycle.

Any effort made by a motorcyclist to increase their visibility, within reason, should be embraced rather than criticized by those ignorant to the realities of motorcycle riding.

opskmallory

Jun 14, 2010
Utah
Phillyrube said:
The same reason I have a LIN4 as an auxiliary brakelight. Never know what the asshole in the cage behind you is doing!!!!

Exactly. I have a couple of 35W MR11 lights just below my headlights to cover the front end. For the back, I went with a Feniex Python T4 for my auxiliary brake light. It's awesome. Thinking about redoing the whole back end with a run/brake/turn device and LED replacements, but it might be down the road a bit.

2012-04-20_12-13-49_436.jpg

2012-04-20_12-13-56_950.jpg

nluszcz

Dec 1, 2011
Kentucky
opskmallory said:
Because 50% of all motorcycle crashes are from cars failing to yield the right of right, generally turning left in front of motorcycles. Likely caused by the driver not seeing the motorcycle.

Any effort made by a motorcyclist to increase their visibility, within reason, should be embraced rather than criticized by those ignorant to the realities of motorcycle riding.

I'm not ignorant of driving around them. I'm not stupid enough to drive one myself. And when I'm blinded, I can't exactly pay attention to being where I need to be. And I pass a LOT more motorcycles head on than I do turning! So the danger is 100x more prevalent.

opskmallory

Jun 14, 2010
Utah
nluszcz said:
I'm not ignorant of driving around them. I'm not stupid enough to drive one myself. And when I'm blinded, I can't exactly pay attention to being where I need to be. And I pass a LOT more motorcycles head on than I do turning! So the danger is 100x more prevalent.

So you have to be stupid to drive a motorcycle? That's nice.

There are statistics to back up the claim that not seeing motorcycles causes accidents, which is about half. About 25% are single vehicle accidents, resulting from driver error. That leaves about another 25% that accounted for. Even if over visible motorcycles causes accidents, it won't be more than less visible motorcycles, if it's ever been determined to be a contributing factor. So in short, blinding drivers does not cause as many accidents as not being seen. So the more lights, within reason, the better.

And to answer the OP's question, and keep things on topic:

Whelen Engineering - Lightheads - Lightheads, Directional Strobe, Super-LED®, LED, Halogen & Combination

You might need an adapter ring to fit the 4.5" opening, but Whelen has them available.

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
I just know that in 40 years of riding, it's getting harder and more dangerous to ride. Anymore when I ride I'm wearing a Hi-Viz jacket, at least a 3/4 helmet, and as much candlepower as possible out the front. The Motolights are a great option for visibility except for the price. last 2 sport touring bikes I had, I made lights using simple chrome hardware and MR-11 55w halogen projector bulbs. Gives the bike that "freight train" look, which is very visible. The LIN4 also works great in keeping idiots from tailgating. Rode police motors for 5 years, and that is dangerous. But, FUN!!!

After my wreck last year, the wife had to cart me around for 2 months. Gave me a chance to really look at drivers and not the vehicle. No one is paying attention, everyone is dicking around with their GPS, stereo, phone, make-up, etc. texting law in Virginia is not enforceable, so I just write reckless and let the judge knock it down to improper.....insurance companies treat it like reckless.

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
nluszcz said:
Never understood why motorcycles feel the need to blind oncoming traffic.... but if a car drives with high beams on, they get a ticket.
To make things slightly more clear, I am considering LED lights to replace the halogen bulbs because of the energy draw on a relatively small rectifier on the bike. My lights aren't aimed up to blind drivers, they are actually aimed slightly to the side and lower, so they compliment my high beam for full light coverage on back roads at night.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.