4 Strobe Whelen 9m Mini Wiring Help!

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
I have a four strobe mini 9m. I am trying to change the flash pattern for the lightbar but do not know how. I looked at the manual on Whelen's site but my lightbar does not have the colored wires. My lightbar has just a positive and negative wire leading out. However the strobe board does have a grey wire that is not hooked up. Does the grey wire control the flash patterns? *Please see attached photos for reference

It only has the four strobes on the corners but I would like to put alleys, takedowns, and rear halogen flashers in it. Can you help me out with what I need to get to make all of this happen?

IMG_7409.jpg

IMG_7420.jpg

IMG_7421.jpg

IMG_7422.jpg

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
I've got some bad news for you...................that's not a 9M power supply.

You are pretty much stuck with the standard 9000 series flash pattern.............I'm guessing alternating double or comet.

If you want to add those extra features, you'll need a different power cable (with more wires).

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
Pete L. said:
I've got some bad news for you...................that's not a 9M power supply.

You are pretty much stuck with the standard 9000 series flash pattern.............I'm guessing alternating double or comet.

If you want to add those extra features, you'll need a different power cable (with more wires).

How hard is it to switch out the power supply? Just slide it down the track and pop it in? Who sells the power supply and power cable?

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
The power supply for the 9000 and 9M are different.

The 9000 (yours) is mounted to 2 clips that are in the track.

The 9M is bolted to the inside vertical part of the frame.

The 9M also uses an I/O board as a platform for power and function.

You can bypass the use of the I/O board by wiring directly to the power

supply (if your confidant in your wiring skills)

You can probably find one here on ELB or on eb*y.

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
Pete L. said:
The power supply for the 9000 and 9M are different.
The 9000 (yours) is mounted to 2 clips that are in the track.

The 9M is bolted to the inside vertical part of the frame.

The 9M also uses an I/O board as a platform for power and function.

You can bypass the use of the I/O board by wiring directly to the power

supply (if your confidant in your wiring skills)

You can probably find one here on ELB or on eb*y.

That makes more sense for me to understand. What is the difference between these power supplies? (Whelen 9M4S and Whelen 9MUB412) Which is better for a fully loaded lightbar? (Takedowns, Alleys, Rear Flashers, Front Corners, Rear Corners)

Thank you guys for helping me out! Much appreciated.

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
JohnFireFan said:
That makes more sense for me to understand. What is the difference between these power supplies? (Whelen 9M4S and Whelen 9MUB412) Which is better for a fully loaded lightbar? (Takedowns, Alleys, Rear Flashers, Front Corners, Rear Corners)
Thank you guys for helping me out! Much appreciated.

I have to admit that I have not dealt with the 9MUB412 power supply. The 9M bar with 2 9M4S power supplies and a I/O board with the extra flasher board on it will do what you are looking for.

These Edge bars can be frustrating :yes: I'm still learning as I go.................

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
The 9M4S has 10 patterns you can use. If you want all 4 strobes to come on at once I believe power needs to be applied to the red, blue & green wires. black will be ground & I believe pattern is grey. I haven't worked on one in a couple months so if you can find a 9M4S pinout, that may be of more help.

But it can be used with just power ground & pattern wires with 4 strobes; you wouldn't need an I/O board.

The UB412 is the same size/length as the 9M4S but it's a 90 watt supply (the 9M4S is 60w). BUT normally there are only 2 flash patterns.

Both the 9M4S & UB412 are 4 outlet supplies.

Really you can use almost any Edge power supply with your mini (EB6, 2X6, SL6), but you may have to change / adapt your AMP connectors on your strobes.

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
OK, I found my cheat sheet for the 9M4S:

Red ------ 12 volts

Black ---- Ground

Green --- Control (12 volts) 1 pair of strobes

Blue ----- Control (12 volts) 1 pair of strobes

White --- Patterns

Violet --- Low Power

White scan-locks through 10 patterns (momentary 12 volt)

Violet goes to low power when 12 volts is applied.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.