400 acre brush fire - Laurel, Prince George's County, MD

Doug

Veteran Member
May 23, 2010
Maryland
Firefighters in the Laurel area of Prince George’s County, assisted by all surrounding jurisdictions and firefighters from as far away as Jefferson County, West Virginia, battled a large brush fire on Van Dusen Road in Laurel.

It all started as a single company local alarm for a brush fire in the 5400 block of Van Dusen Road; local firefighters know this area well, as the mulching facility there provides a few calls a year.

The call escalated to a hazardous materials box alarm after several hours, bringing personnel and equipment from throughout the county. A second alarm was sounded, as well as a myriad of special calls for tankers, engine companies and brush trucks. A host of support staff and units rounded out the compliment of equipment.

The call is reported to have taken approximately thirty hours and between one and two hundred firefighters from the Baltimore/Washington (and beyond) region. Baltimore City Engine 6 filled in at the Laurel VFD (a driving distance of 23.8 miles, according to Google Maps).

Mark Brady has pictures and video at the PGFDPIO blog.

You can view the pics on my personal site.

Oh, and it was at least 60 degrees that day. Now, 2 days later, we're expecting snow tonight/tomorrow.

Some good pics

Were you there for the call or just taking pics

Doug said:
Oh, and it was at least 60 degrees that day. Now, 2 days later, we're expecting snow tonight/tomorrow.

I live in Kansas, we get weather swings like that everyday here!

Thanks, everyone. I was there to shoot pics, not fight the brush fire. No role confusion for me!

Love large grass fires down here in South Texas we specialize in Grass Fires. Great pics

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381