4200 Mini Feniex and wig wag with Rigid Duallys

Got everything hooked up...tap into both positives for both Duallys....program the Wig-Wag with buttons 1 and 2...the controller shows them wig wagging...but the Duallys are flashing simultaneously. Can't get them to stop doing that. What am I missing?

I have the green wire going to one positive of the light, and white going to the other. Buttons 1 and 2.

???

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Just a thought but did you try it w/o relay?

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I'm not familiar with Rigids products, just the 4200 mini. Sounds to me that either the relay doesn't want to play nice or the mini might be set to negative ground switched. The mini is only rated to 5amps per side, how many amps does each rigid head draw?

Abacus

May 24, 2010
Sydney Australia
I thought about doing the same set up but chose to wire the Rigids to the old code3 710 flasher. That way I still get traditional wig wag and also steady on and still only use 2 buttons on the 4200 mini. However do let us know if you get it working using the 4200 mini.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
I had regular duallys set up on my truck with the regular 4200 for a while. I took out all of relay wiring and just made a straight run back to the 4200. Easiest way would be to get 2 deutsch connector pig tails and tie the 2 grounds together and then run each positive side to the mini 4200 outputs. It won't harm the lights or the mini 4200. The outputs of the mini are rated to 5a each. The standard dually pulls 1.1 amps per light, the D2 pulls 2.5 amps per light. I hope I explained that properly. It's late and I'm tired, lol.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Cut the wires at the mini. Put power to rag light there and see if both lights come on. If so I'm sure it's the relay. I'm confused why you have a switch still wired up. Is it for an override? If so both wires must be connected there for the override and unless you are using a diode you are essentially giving power to both lights from both devices.

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
As Fever mentioned, if you bought a pair of Dually's, they are both wired to the same output on the relay. Regular Dually's don't come with a relay, so you must be using D2's? You would be better off just using a standard flasher and eliminate the relay.

Reactions: Mrlunchbox
Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
Ok, well, you don't need relays for the standard dually so you could take it right out. When I use the dually's for wigwags, I usually just cut the harness where it splits apart for the two lights.

I've tried every which way to get these to alternate but it's not working. I even took out the relay, still can't get them to alternate. They just blink really fast. I've emailed Feniex to see if they know of a away, or if a steady can be even done on these. I wish it has a built in override steady in this thing.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Have to use diodes..

EricTheNerd

Apr 1, 2014
Vermont
The way I understand it, you have tapped into the positive for each light with an output from the 4200 mini, but the lights are wired together at the relay. When the mini powers one side, power backfeeds through the wiring and goes to the other side as well, making them both light up. The flasher alternates, powers the other side, and it backfeeds to the first light, making them both light up. That's why it isn't working properly.

To fix it will require four diodes, which are components that allow electricity to only flow one way. (think a check valve in plumbing) You will need one between the relay and where you have tapped the 4200 outputs in on each side, allowing the 4200 to control each side without backfeeding the other. You will also need one on each output, so that when you have the lights on steady, they are not feeding back into the 4200. This will allow you functionality of your flasher but you can still safely override to steady with your existing switch. Feniex is correct, the 4200 mini will not allow you to override by itself, but it can be done...

kinda making sense (more youtube I suppose) but I swapped out my Dually2 wiring harness which had a relay, and put in a wiring harness that didn't have one...so there is no more relay, and it is still doing it. I think I'm going to just get an ERM flasher and be done with it.

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
ERM flashers are great, I've used them several times with Dually's. I've also used standard headlight flashers if the customer just wants a standard wigwag pattern.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fireman5340

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.