4x4 Rigs of Long Island

mr. awesome

Dec 27, 2010
Queens, NY
For the past ten days, the citizens (including myself) of Long Island have had a bit of a fire problem. 150 seperate Fire Departments responded to the alarm. Here's some images from around the web of the Brush Trucks. There's also a few others that are rather interesting. Please enjoy, and pray we dont get another big one (for this region) like last week. I took none of these pictures.

02.jpg

2.jpg

9.jpg

070701%20-%20SVFC_Kismet_Parade046.jpg

070701%20-%20SVFC_Kismet_Parade056.jpg

6939571746_224d1bcccc_c.jpg

6939573946_194fb04699_c.jpg

6939582060_9b9c96fee7_c.jpg

7066028219_9e1cf2426f_c.jpg

7066030139_103a26bde5_b.jpg

7085642973_c79d5920bd_c.jpg

7085651473_c28946ee53_c.jpg

7085653523_fa5dc6ffc1_c.jpg

babs.jpg

bfd%20manorville3.jpg

Bohemia.jpg

brookhave_refurb.jpg

brookhaven.jpg

cifd.jpg

Big Thanks to all the guys busting their humps on this thing. Good luck to you all.

-A Thankful Citizen

Last edited by a moderator:

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Another place with Brush trucks and Breakers... Massachusetts! They have a lot of nice trucks.

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
Are the pickup body styled trucks the new BRAT's? I saw one at the New England Fire Show last year with some beefy tires on it. It was an awesome truck. We just bought a Rosenbauer Wildland truck recently and took it offroading and it did pretty well. I like the brat trucks a lot more though. About $150K cheaper too!

This is the BRAT

Brat Fire Truck.jpg

This is our New Brush Truck

Engine 3.jpg

mr. awesome

Dec 27, 2010
Queens, NY
Right you are sir. The only thing i can see being a drawback to the BRAT is water capacity. Their size make it really tough to carry over 400 gallons. Plus you cant "just go for it" when clearing brush like a GI.

Then again, seven GI's this past week went OOS due to getting jammed up and breaking, Manorville's was the most serious as a total loss. Rig and crew completely overrun by fire, all except the rig survived with minor injuries.

AqFoNHgCQAEgi_H.jpg

Sorry for the cellphone pic, not mine.

There is a big difference in your new brush truck (which looks fantastic, btw.. and congrats on it) and a GI or BRAT, a GI/BRAT will attack the seat of the fire, using their massive cages to clear brush. Your new Brush rig is good for perimeter attack, you'd completely ruin it doing Rapid Seat Attack.

Here's some more:

DPFD.jpg

DSC00125.jpg

DSCN1692.jpg

DSCN2940.jpg

DSCN3044.jpg

East%20Quogue.jpg

eastport.jpg

Fire%20Island%202007-08-10%20007.jpg

HBFD.jpg

huntsta.jpg

IMG_1727.jpg

ITFD.jpg

KPFD.jpg

manorvi.jpg

Mastic.jpg

nopo.jpg

plainv.jpg

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
29857d1334819791-4x4-rigs-long-island-babs.jpg

This is our beach truck. It was built by Firematic and based on a BRAT, just a bigger version. It has super singles front and rear which work very well aired-down in the sand. The pump is front mounted and its main purpose is to draft water to supply the other engines (wells and bay/ocean are the water supply there) although it is also set up with a tank and attack lines to handle bonfires, etc. out on the beach as well as 4 SCBA seats.

We also have a F-350 set up with a pump on the front bumper as well which is the old 1-2-4, and currently operates as 1-2-2.

1-2-4a.jpg

1-2-4b.jpg

122.JPG

rlsllc

Dec 2, 2011
USA/Ohio
Just gotta saay....I love this post. I absolutely love 4x4s, especialy the ones on the super single tires. Awesomeness!

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
I was actually recently looking over a gallery of Long Island fire apparatus and admiring all the brush trucks. We have lots of brush trucks around WV and SW Pennsylvania. Just about every rural fire department around has something they have designated as a brush unit, either a mini pumper, or sometimes a pickup or Jeep with a mini-tank, but I can't say I've seen anything as intense as Long Island's "stump jumpers."

I'll be perfectly honest and admit I know next to nothing about Long Island. Obviously you had a pretty seriously fire incident recently, but is there some specific reason why so many departments have these massive armored 4x4 brush units? Is there something significant to LI that makes there more of a need for heavy-duty brush units or is it just a regional tradition that got started at some point and has never stopped?

mr. awesome

Dec 27, 2010
Queens, NY
RescueWV said:
I'll be perfectly honest and admit I know next to nothing about Long Island. Obviously you had a pretty seriously fire incident recently, but is there some specific reason why so many departments have these massive armored 4x4 brush units? Is there something significant to LI that makes there more of a need for heavy-duty brush units or is it just a regional tradition that got started at some point and has never stopped?

First, let's get this out of the way, if you want a Real brush truck and can locate a halfway decent GI, then go....

GA Chivvis Corp - Fire Apparatus and Equipment <---there

If you need a truck with offroad capabilities as well as everyday drivability, then go....

B.R.A.T. - Brush Rapid Attack Truck <-----there

Frank M. Panek said:
To control and suppress any fire, the tactics used must break one of the legs of the fire triangle. In Long Island, New York, most brush fires are suppressed by applying wetlines to reduce the heat leg of the triangle. This involves using brush trucks and stump jumpers for rapid access to the fire edge. Stump jumpers are rugged, direct-attack engines usually custom built on a 212-ton military chassis. The trucks are modified for woodland firefighting by adding heavy skid plates, roll bars, and a wire-enclosed bed to protect firefighters and their equipment. Most trucks carry 500 gallons or more of water and can operate several handlines. Similar equipment used by rural departments in the New Jersey and Massachusetts pine barrens are referred to as brush breakers.

Secondary tactics may include using fire control lines, fire roads, and other manmade or natural barriers to reduce the fuel leg of the triangle. Heavy equipment such as dozers and loaders usually are called in from state or town highway departments to work under the direction of the incident commander or chief fire officer. Tractors with fire plows may be available from federal or state forestry offices. Heavy equipment can effectively contain most fires by creating fire breaks and control lines in advance of fast-moving fire fronts.

Most Long Island departments responsible for protecting large tracts of pine barrens forests or with significant urban-wildland interfaces have one or more stump jumpers. It is not uncommon for several departments to dispatch stump jumpers to provide mutual aid for large fires. Regardless of the size of the fire or number of trucks operating, safe operation of the apparatus is essential to protect firefighters and equipment.

Safe operation begins with the driver and the truck officer understanding the abilities and limitations of the apparatus and knowing their destinations and how they will get to them safely. The driver is responsible for making sure the truck is operating properly and the crew is safely aboard before leaving the fire station. Firefighters should be in the truck`s cab or a safe crew compartment for over-the-road response to the fire scene. The officer should know the fire area, the location of the fire roads, and the fire gates and their access points and should remain in contact with the incident commander or chief officer.

Among the initial decisions to be made at the fire scene are which methods of attack to use, how many units are needed, and how the units will be deployed to work the fire. On Long Island, most stump jumpers work off-road to apply wetlines to the fire flank or head. This means putting the truck and its crew in the woods in areas with limited visibility, smoke, and intense flames.

Operating stump jumpers in dense brush with fire and heavy smoke is dangerous. Trucks should operate from the black or burned area and, if possible, approach the fire from the cool, upwind side. The black area always serves as a safe refuge if problems develop. Working downwind of a rapidly moving surface fire or a crown fire is dangerous and should be avoided when possible. Serious problems can arise when stump jumpers work uphill of a fire front. Trucks never should be put in this position. Fires tend to intensify and move rapidly up slopes and may entrap the truck and its crew. In general, the rate of fire spread doubles for each 10-percent increase in slope. Slopes of 10 to 30 percent are common in the rolling hills of Long Island`s pine barrens.

Stump jumpers should work in pairs. By working together, the trucks can suppress flank and head fires more efficiently while providing mutual protection. Also, truck-to-truck communications are enhanced and visual contact can be maintained.

Crews working on stump jumpers must be trained to operate them and to learn their limitations and the dangers of working in a heavy vehicle moving through dense brush. Under no circumstances, for example, should crew members extend their hoseline nozzles or arms, legs, or head outside the brush truck`s protective structure while it is moving. Tree trunks or branches scraping along the side of a stump jumper can crush limbs and break bones.

Drivers must take special precautions to avoid injuries and accidents associated with woodland driving. The most common injury to drivers involves broken and dislocated thumb fingers. Steering wheels on stump jumpers are difficult to hold onto and control during off-road use. When a truck hits a stump, log, rock, or depression, the steering wheel rapidly and forcefully spins as the tires are forced in a new and unexpected direction. Some drivers wear a glove or tape down their thumbs in a way that prevents the thumb from grasping the wheel. In that way, the wheel`s rapid movement does not jam the spokes into the thumb. Drivers should also wear a seat belt, which not only protects them while on the road but also gives more control while in rough terrain. Drivers and truck officers should use seat belts to minimize injuries should roll-over occur.

Firefighters must wear protective clothing and headgear. Several Long Island departments have discontinued using structural firefighting headgear in favor of headgear that gives greater protection to the head and face. Appropriate headgear should include a visor that protects the entire face from potentially impaling twigs and branches. Lightweight fire retardant fire clothing and a pair of good safety-tipped boots should be worn. Heavy structural firefighting turnout gear may cause overheating, which could lead to heat exhaustion or heat stroke. Wearing lighter fire clothing provides greater mobility for wildland firefighters, reduces fatigue, and extends the fire crew`s safe and effective working time. This is particularly true on the hot, dry afternoons that are typical of the worst fire season in the pine barrens.

Should just about cover the bases on another very unique Long Island (et. al.) apparatus

SAFETY AT STUMP JUMPER OPERATIONS - Fire Engineering <---- Full article.

Also, Because that was very wordy, here's some beach trucks from the little island town of Fair Harbor. They're doing it right.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Screen%20shot%202011-05-30%20at%207_58_13%20PM.jpg

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
mr. awesome said:
Here's some more:

I see some really old mechanical sirens on a couple of those military style brush trucks.

The yellow one has a Federal Pulsator 66 and the red and white one has the military version of the Federal W series.

mr. awesome

Dec 27, 2010
Queens, NY
Wailer said:
I see some really old mechanical sirens on a couple of those military style brush trucks.

The yellow one has a Federal Pulsator 66 and the red and white one has the military version of the Federal W series.

absolutely correct, you'd be surprised how many are using all original parts. (and breaking them, of course) ...like the drill teams i posted earlier, if one truck needs something and another department has spares, it's all goooood!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.