5 Must have items in your bunker gear.....

FFRNDAN

May 23, 2010
Malvern, OH
I'm trying to outfit my bunker gear, and wondering what everyone thinks of as "must have" items to carry. I figured 5 sounded like a good number. I currently have the basics, structure gloves, extrication gloves, hood, and a door chock. What should I start shopping for?

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
I have fire gloves, chocks, a knife, and safety glasses in the pants. Extrication gloves and medical gloves in the jacket pocket. I keep the hood in the inside jacket pocket. Then my kenwood radio in the radio pocket, and a streamlight led survivor clipped as well. Oh and the mask is also clipped to the jacket. All other tools are in the engine!

AKRLTW

Jan 21, 2012
AK/NV USA
Don't know about just 5 items in bunkers, but this is my setup as worn + stored in my bag. Negligible weight and significant utility for myself, your mileage may vary.

Turnout pants:

Right cargo pocket:

Structural gloves

Rescue/Wildland gloves

rite in the rain notepad + sharpie & regular pens & alcohol markers in notebook holder

Left cargo pocket, divided:

Front section

20' of 1" tubular nylon tied in a loop with a water knot. I'm 6'3" and it's sized for use as an emergency full body harness on me, and works for all other purposes by tying it up.

Rear section

Channnelock rescue tool, cable cutter model. Proven its worth time and again, worth the weight IMHO

TFT Res-q-rench, This means I have a set of spanners to be able to work on lines on me.

Belt

Gerber Hinderer in sheath w/ toolkit (allens and some other junk)

I'm going to get my old armed guard duty belt's flat glove pouch and put it on the belt eventually

Turnout Jacket

Interior pocket

spare hood

Left chest

radio pouch, handmike routed up behind my neck then clipped into the right shoulder tab

Right chest pocket

Streamlight Survivor LED, bottom of pocket has a vacu-sealed pack of 4x AA's for the Survivor, and 2x CR123's for my helmet light (streamlight LED unit)

Left lower pocket

4x my size of gloves

rite in the rain notepad + sharpie & regular pens & alcohol markers in notebook holder

Safety glasses

Right lower pocket

2x wood chocks

4x plastic chocks

2x Tire marker's, one white one red, tiedown of 550 cord long enough to go around my wrist with overhand on each end, laid on marker then double layer of duct tape wrapped around marker+550. Ghetto breakaway lanyard.

Helmet

right under brim, camera mount (I only run it during training and usually burn meat and drink beer with the guys and laugh at each other/learn from mistakes on footage.)

Left under brim, Streamlight LED light

Tethered earplugs tied off to suspension system

Laminated "Cheat Sheet" with some engineering pre-calcs for various lays, GPS coordinates for all recon'ed helo landing sites (large road/highway pullouts, school parking lots, stations, etc), summer/winter drafting locations and brief verbage on how to access, some other various stuff like processes for station fuel access, key locations, bla bla.

"Ditty Bag" aka old turnout mask bag

spare structural gloves

4x powerbars

spare safety glasses

spare earpro x3

5x spare sets of gloves

2x small bottles of water

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I also like to carry what most of my team does not carry: a 4-in-1 screwdriver. (Tip pulls out and you turn it around and snap it back into the handle for another screw type.) Firefighters can have a reputation for wanting to use sledges and bars to get into things, when sometimes all it takes is a screwdriver or adjustable wrench. :undecided:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
hmmm there must be an app for that?

aimg_android.lisisoft.com_img_2_1_2412_1_com.code3apps.FireFighter.jpg

Retaks

Aug 5, 2012
SE PA
I have basics in mine.

Pants:

Extracation gloves (we dont go on vehicle rescues but great for packing up tools and hose at end of call)

Safety glasses

50' of 8mm rescue rope with attached carribeaner

2-3 door chocks

Jacket:

Multi tool (not a cheap walmart one. get a good leatherman or gerber. Youll thank me later)

Shove knife

Folding Knife

Small flashlight (again not a cheap flashlight. Get a good one since it is going to take a beating and go from extreme cold to heat and get wet)

2-3 door chocks

Channel lock rescue tool (cable cutter, gas shut off, spanner wrench all in one. Worth its weight in gold)

Fire gloves

Helmet:

2 door chocks

I hope this helps you. As you see alot of us carry the same items overall. Some lists are longer and some shorter. I try to keep just the basics in my gear.

NYBLS

Oct 13, 2010
NY,USA
My bare minimum requirements are things that will save your life:

Door chocks-Keep that door open

Webbing or rope- When the door isn't an option, a window may be. Your fall (some people call this a controlled descent-yeah right...) will hurt a lot less if you have rope or webbing (or better yet, a bail out system)

A way to cut- Wires, metal, wood, everything. Homes are made to kill firefighters, you need a blade to fight back.

I'm sure there are tons more that help you perform and that some people think are absolute necessities, but without these you are screwed.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
NYBLS said:
... Homes are made to kill firefighters, you need a blade to fight back. ...

I've got to use this line at the next drill. :thumbsup:

AKRLTW

Jan 21, 2012
AK/NV USA
CPDG23 said:
It's scary how similar our set ups are. Almost exact. :thumbsup:

You have good taste ;)

I forgot to mention the trauma shears I keep in the tool pocket and the jacket pocket.

In any case, it's a bunch of stuff that's not that heavy nor bulky and has a whole lot of utility.

The method behind my "walking toolbox" madness (as some here might say):

Spanner tools:

If I'm engineering, while I have spanners all over the apparatus it's sometimes faster to grab my own. Once things have stabilized and I'm flowing what I'm flowing with a supply, I'll chase lines for kinks and leaks. Leaks + -20 weather = ice rink. If I'm not engineering, I'm not near apparatus most of the time so having my own tools on-hand means I can take care of stuff.

Both have glass punch points, one will cut anything you can fit in it, there's a seat belt cutter on the res-q, and a gas valve notch. The Res-q's issued to everyone once you pass basic class, the Channelock tool was given to me but is an issued tool on occasion as well.

Helmet light's issued as is the angle head light. Both are stupid bright, both have great battery life but given my experience with battery powered devices, I carry spares. I'll wait to swap batteries during rehab though, not like I'm gonna stop what I'm doing if a light goes out. I keep my radio on a charger at home

I have dual notepads because for EMS assists/rescue calls that are non MVA, we usually don't bother with our jackets unless it's cold. I'll start a patient history/vitals track while rendering aid... it always throws off the medics who don't really know me because they stay on the EMS side instead of straddling the fence as a firefighter/medic in our department. That, and with SOF Medical training and being a former NREMT-B as well, nomenclature and equipment is something I know both what, and where it is either on their rigs or my own rig, and how to set it up/use it. That, and having a written time and dosage of meds pushed makes their paperwork easier... just because I can't use some stuff anymore doesn't mean I can't help with it's use. It's also handy to be able to hand off writing material for people in command positions that might not have been prepared or would have to go back to a CV for something.

The cheat sheet in my helmet covers stuff we keep on our cheat sheets on the apparatus, but it's quicker to be able to rattle off lat/long for a specific LZ off that than waiting to find/turn on/get a good 3d position from a GPS. Even if we're not specifically right there, those coords function as a good checkpoint ie "we're a half mile to the east" or whatnot.

The longer length of tubular nylon I got bugged about at one point by my captain (who only carries a strap long enough to use as a hose strap) until I showed her how easy it was to make it work as a double shoulder hose strap, plus a below grade rescue of an unconcious FF (dressed up 250 lb dummy)... then politely challenged her to do both with her little strap. I keep it back fed with the water knot fed in last and flipped into the tool's section of that pocket for ease of grabbing. I'd prefer to do the kneepad webbing trick seen on VentEnterSearch or other places, but our turnouts don't have removable/replaceable kneepads.

Everything is accessible while in full SCBA, the way I set up placement was taking what I thought I could use on basically any scene and laying it on a table. "dressed up" for a full structural response, and then put things where I could actually get them. I carried a little bit of different stuff but as I either got better gear, or found that I didn't use things, I tailored my "loadout" accordingly to what works for the jobs I get.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Im pretty sure im not the only fatty that does this but i always carried some beef shredded beef jerky "the kind that looks like tabaco chew" since im not a tabacco kinda guy i would eat jerky to fit in with the tabacco guys.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Station 3 said:
Im pretty sure im not the only fatty that does this but i always carried some beef shredded beef jerky "the kind that looks like tabaco chew" since im not a tabacco kinda guy i would eat jerky to fit in with the tabacco guys.

ai1.ytimg.com_vi_XZxzJGgox_E_hqdefault.jpg

Garza you fat fuck..... :duh:

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
I don't carry any of that "extra" stuff. Why would you carry an extra hood around with you all the time?

I don't carry tools in my pockets because if I need a screw driver, I have time to get one off the pumper. If I'm in a hurry, I don't need a screw driver, I can get it with an axe.

About the only things I carry is a right angle flash light on the front of my coat and a door stop on my helmet.

AKRLTW

Jan 21, 2012
AK/NV USA
WS224 said:
I don't carry any of that "extra" stuff. Why would you carry an extra hood around with you all the time?

I don't carry tools in my pockets because if I need a screw driver, I have time to get one off the pumper. If I'm in a hurry, I don't need a screw driver, I can get it with an axe.

About the only things I carry is a right angle flash light on the front of my coat and a door stop on my helmet.

Because a soaked hood when it's -25F out is miserable and being able to just swap to a dry one is like heaven on your head?

What works for you may work for you, but I would rather just whip out a tool, fix something, then continue my tasks, than spend 5 minutes going to apparatus, rooting through apparatus for a tool, returning with a tool.... then still having to fix what needed fixing.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
Since it's "MUST" have, I kinda waited to think on this one a bit. So that the younger generations can bear some fruit from my years of service. My list is as follows, please read it carefully, think on it, and I hope it helps. Stay safe out there! :thumbsup:

Items I must have in bunker gear:

Bacon (ok fine, its jerky, so no Garza, youre not the only one)

Toilet Paper

A magazine

Flask with whisky (hey if Im about to bite the bullet, least going to have a goddamn drink)

Spare pack of smokes (go in conjunction with whisky)

And for those that think I am joking, I shall take a pic of my bunkers next time Im at station

God speed my friends :thumbsup:

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
NPS Ranger said:
Someday you're gonna be surprised as hell when a ladder comes through the window of that bathroom.

not really, I kindly asked them to light a match :D

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RETFFMedic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.