74 Olds Ambulance

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Sorry to be the one to say it, but I think that is fuggggly...it looks like the ghost busters met the pink ladies (Grease).

I do like seeing Q's and dual siren speakers on an ambo but that must've been a headache having that all that vibration on the roof

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
A Miller-Meteor 54" Life Liner! That was the top of the line back then, at least until the Criterions came out. It's unusual to see one on an Oldsmobile. IIRC, the Life Liners were almost always Cadillacs, probably because of their pro car chassis. The Q and speakers on the forward roof was a very common sight. I remember dropping the headliner on our '71 and discovering that the roof was massively reinforced in that whole frontal area.

The pink doesn't trip my trigger, but I suspect that it is that color for a good reason. The cream colored roof is unusual, too. Generally, they came from M-M in a bright white, regardless of the body color. In the late 1940's and 1950's, many ambulances were a slightly darker shade of cream, actually more of a light tan. Our '48 Cadi was like that but all one color.

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
Steve0625 said:
A Miller-Meteor 54" Life Liner! That was the top of the line back then, at least until the Criterions came out. It's unusual to see one on an Oldsmobile. IIRC, the Life Liners were almost always Cadillacs, probably because of their pro car chassis. The Q and speakers on the forward roof was a very common sight. I remember dropping the headliner on our '71 and discovering that the roof was massively reinforced in that whole frontal area.

The pink doesn't trip my trigger, but I suspect that it is that color for a good reason. The cream colored roof is unusual, too. Generally, they came from M-M in a bright white, regardless of the body color. In the late 1940's and 1950's, many ambulances were a slightly darker shade of cream, actually more of a light tan. Our '48 Cadi was like that but all one color.

Pretty sure M-M never built anything on a Olds. This is just a 54" Cotner Bevington. The color is because it was probably owned by an black owned firm.

M-M did Cadillacs(along with Superior & S&S in the 70s)

CB did Olds

Superior did Caddys and Pontiacs

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
:fangirl: :fangirl: :fangirl: :fangirl: :fangirl: :fangirl: :fangirl: :fangirl: :fangirl: :fangirl: :fangirl: :fangirl: :fangirl: :fangirl: :fangirl:

Which is not to say I wouldn't want to own it. Nice car and paint can be fixed. "an black owned"?? ...Maybe she was painted pink for cancer awareness?

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Squad-6 said:
Pretty sure M-M never built anything on a Olds. This is just a 54" Cotner Bevington. The color is because it was probably owned by an black owned firm.

CB did Olds

You may be right. But, since C-B and M-M were both owned by Wayne Corporation at that time, it would stand to reason that they'd both use a common design and common parts and materials for their coach building. Thanks for the correction. I've never paid much attention to C-B because all the coaches I ever worked in were M-M's or Superiors.

EROE71Cadillac.jpg

pop2one

Feb 7, 2012
Texas
It is my understanding from another site that the colors on the car are in honorarium to a company that the coach's owner used to work for. He thought fondly of the owners and painted his rig the original company colors. Any reference to those colors based on a person's race is ignorance at best and pure racist at it's worse.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Squad-6 said:
... The color is because it was probably owned by an black owned firm. ...

Then wouldn't it have been painted black? I think it was owned by a pink and tan person. Pink and tan and chrome. Yep, I'm quite sure of that now that I think more about it. :yes:

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
pdk9 said:
I do like seeing Q's and dual siren speakers on an ambo but that must've been a headache having that all that vibration on the roof

It would be especially loud if the speakers are CP100s and they're hooked up to a PA200. The PA200 was Federal's first 200 watt electronic siren, and it was introduced in 1974. It might not hurt the ears as much as a Q going at full speed, but it's still pretty damned loud.

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
dmathieu said:
I have a NOS pair of those RED headlights.
I have a trio from a very old 12V school bus in red however no hi/low filament, just two wire. Same size as single per side headlamps with fluted (warning) lens . If I'm not mistaken these pictured on this Olds are par 46 size...about 6" diameter. I think mine are about 7+" diameter. Had all four but one died. The ambers were already gone.

OTFD122

May 24, 2010
SE Michigan
Ruehle's was an ambulance service on the East side of MI in Macomb County. They sold off the ambulance to MedStar around 20 years ago. MedStar has a similar vintage ambulance in their company colors. Ruehle's now runs wreckers in the same red/yellow paint scheme as seen in the original post.

Ruehle's Wrecker:

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e268_OTFD122_Mvc_001a_zpsc15ae399.jpg

Another Ruehle Ambulance:

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e268_OTFD122_Scan4_0004_zps3069af7e.jpg

Here is MedStar's 1976 ambulance:

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e268_OTFD122_1976cadillac_zpsc052cbd9.jpg

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
Wailer said:
It would be especially loud if the speakers are CP100s and they're hooked up to a PA200. The PA200 was Federal's first 200 watt electronic siren, and it was introduced in 1974. It might not hurt the ears as much as a Q going at full speed, but it's still pretty damned loud.

Me thinks those speakers are the Mars chrome jobbys. I don't know the exact nomenclature. Maybe the beacon too? Jennycop? Anyone?

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Torpedo said:
Me thinks those speakers are the Mars chrome jobbys. I don't know the exact nomenclature. Maybe the beacon too? Jennycop? Anyone?

Looks like all Federal equipment to me. The beacon looks like a 184 Power Light.

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
Mndlm said:
Saw this on DetNews website from the Gratiot Cruise:

Back in the late 60s-early 70's the Horsham Fire Co. outside philadelphia used to run Caddy ambulances, painted Coral of some sort. Q2s on the roof.

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
Wailer said:
Looks like all Federal equipment to me. The beacon looks like a 184 Power Light.

I stand corrected, CP series speakers and the beacon is likely the CJ sized one but without the speaker/grille.

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
OTFD122 said:
Ruehle's was an ambulance service on the East side of MI in Macomb County. They sold off the ambulance to MedStar around 20 years ago. MedStar has a similar vintage ambulance in their company colors. Ruehle's now runs wreckers in the same red/yellow paint scheme as seen in the original post.

Another Ruehle Ambulance:

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e268_OTFD122_Scan4_0004_zps3069af7e.jpg

Whatever happened to "Suburban Ambulance Service?" I remember seeing them my entire childhood in southeastern Oakland County (Ferndale, Royal Oak, Troy). They were always white van-style ambulances with dark-blue and gold graphics. It seems like they just disappeared at least 20 years ago.

OTFD122

May 24, 2010
SE Michigan
LRGJr72 said:
Whatever happened to "Suburban Ambulance Service?" I remember seeing them my entire childhood in southeastern Oakland County (Ferndale, Royal Oak, Troy). They were always white van-style ambulances with dark-blue and gold graphics. It seems like they just disappeared at least 20 years ago.

Suburban and Fleet Ambulance merged and became Star EMS - Owned by the same owner(s) of Suburban and still based out of Pontiac. Ambulances are white with burgundy and gold stripes - very sharp! I don't have any pics off hand

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Mndlm said:

Wow! Haven't seen this old girl on the road since the new paint job. This 1974 48" Cotner/Bevington Olds belongs to Dan Jackson in MI. I bought the car in 2002 from Steve Loftin in McLoud, OK. Steve is a firetruck salesman and worked for a number of years for a firetruck/ambulance manufacturing facility just west of Oklahoma City. It had belonged to a funeral home in a small town not too far from there. The funeral home gave it to the local VFD, and the VFD traded it in on a new ambulance and Steve bought it as quick as his company got it. It was originally solid white and had a blue Federal 184 on top. Dan replaced it with a red 174 beacon. He also had a C6B siren between the speakers for a time but has since added the Federal Q. I understand that this sweet ol' girl is up for sale. Anyone interested can contact me and I'll give you Dan's contact info.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
pdk9 said:
Sorry to be the one to say it, but I think that is fuggggly...it looks like the ghost busters met the pink ladies (Grease).

A lot of people have commented on that unusual salmon color. Dan Jackson, the current owner, had it painted this color following a grand-up restoration. These were the colors of the ambulance co. in MI that he's been with for many years. Their sign, too, onthe side.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Squad-6 said:

CB did Olds

You are right...it is a C/B Olds, but the 48" not the 54. The 54 is just slightly higher and has extra tunnel lights on the hightop that would be visible above the speakers and the Q.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Torpedo said:
:fangirl: :fangirl: :fangirl: :fangirl: :fangirl: :fangirl: :fangirl: :fangirl: :fangirl: :fangirl: :fangirl: :fangirl: :fangirl: :fangirl: :fangirl:

Which is not to say I wouldn't want to own it. Nice car and paint can be fixed. "an black owned"?? ...Maybe she was painted pink for cancer awareness?

Now, now, now, Dennis. Be nice. That car used to be mine. Check my other post here. The pink color came from the ambulance co. where Dan Jackson, the current owner,works.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Steve0625 said:
You may be right. But, since C-B and M-M were both owned by Wayne Corporation at that time, it would stand to reason that they'd both use a common design and common parts and materials for their coach building. Thanks for the correction. I've never paid much attention to C-B because all the coaches I ever worked in were M-M's or Superiors.

Some of the commonalities would be present to a degree with this '74 model. This was just after Divco-Wayne took over Cotner/Bevington. Cotner/Bevington, which was originally Comet Coach, built almost exclusively on Oldsmobiles; but there were a very few Pontiacs and Chevies, too. The one common denominator between C/B and M-M was one of the last Oldsmobiles built. It was a '75 model and was a "ringer" for M-M-s big-rig Cadillac that was windowless in the back. This was their attempt to compete against the then-recently-introduced modular rigs.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
JazzDad said:
Then wouldn't it have been painted black? I think it was owned by a pink and tan person. Pink and tan and chrome. Yep, I'm quite sure of that now that I think more about it. :yes:

Nope! If you see my original post, this belonged to a small town in OK. It has had a total of five owners: the original funeral home, the VFD, Steve Loftin in McCloud,OK , myself and the current owner, Dan Jackson. I would still have it, but following multiple bypass surgery in '04, finances dictated otherwise and to Dan's advantage.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Torpedo said:

Nope...they're CP25s. Originally had a Director. I think it's been replaced with something else.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Skip Goulet said:
The one common denominator between C/B and M-M was one of the last Oldsmobiles built. It was a '75 model and was a "ringer" for M-M-s big-rig Cadillac that was windowless in the back. This was their attempt to compete against the then-recently-introduced modular rigs.
Ah, the Criterion! That deserves its own thread.

And that is a very interesting tid bit of pro car history. Anybody got any pics of that rig?

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
Steve0625 said:

And that is a very interesting tid bit of pro car history. Anybody got any pics of that rig?

A would really like to see a windowless CB. Would really like to own a windowless M-M Volly or "Landau Style" as some call it

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Squad-6 said:
A would really like to see a windowless CB. Would really like to own a windowless M-M Volly or "Landau Style" as some call it

75 Cotner-Bevington Windowless 54 in Olds.JPG

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
Mndlm said:
I've seen this car in person at the Ferndale Emergency Vehicle Show the Friday of last year's Dream Cruise weekend. I'll have to check my external drive for the pic to post. I'm not fond of the color, but it's a great looking restore. :)

P1030635.JPG

OTFD122 said:
Suburban and Fleet Ambulance merged and became Star EMS - Owned by the same owner(s) of Suburban and still based out of Pontiac. Ambulances are white with burgundy and gold stripes - very sharp! I don't have any pics off hand
I didn't know this. I believe Suburban's parent, Paramed, may have done a stint doing business as AMR. All the Suburban rigs seemed to disappear from the street, with AMR running around. Then, one day, I noticed I didn't see AMR any more. Star does not seem to run SE Oakland County like Suburban or AMR used to. I see Star more northerly; even then, I don't see them in the quantities I used to see Suburban. Alliance Mobile Medical, out of Troy, seems to be the common private provider, with Superior out of Warren being big in non-emergency transport in the area.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Skip Goulet said:
Nope...they're CP25s. Originally had a Director. I think it's been replaced with something else.

Then it would have been a PA15A series 1E. The 1E will run at 100 watts with two CP25s, but a C6B or a Q would drown it out easily.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Wailer said:

You're right. The beacon is a 184. When I bought the car it had a blue dome. He replaced the 184 with a 174 wig-wag beacon,but it looks like he's back to the 184 again, this time with the red dome.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
spoda81 said:
Sorry Skip you got your model's reversed this is a 54 the 48 had the 3 lights up there, also it's a 184H on the roof

You're right about that. I've had both versions, this one and a '67 hightop Olds that came from Lyons, Ill. It had the three tunnel lights inbetween the two larger ones. Interesting thing was it came with a big green tunnel light over the driver's side which I had to replace with a red sealed beam, since green wasn't legal in Texas then.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Squad-6 said:
A landau style Olds with Ful-Vu lights, now I have seen it all

This was the C/B equivalent of M-M's big Criterion ambulance. The Criterion was introduced c.1974 to compete with the big modulars. Only a couple of these big Oldsmobiles were built before Wayne discontinued the entire C/B line in 1975.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
pdk9 said:

Actually, there's not that much noise in the cab since there's a lot of room between the headliner and the roof. Even with the Q it's not that bad.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
jph2 said:
I've seen this car in person at the Ferndale Emergency Vehicle Show the Friday of last year's Dream Cruise weekend. I'll have to check my external drive for the pic to post. I'm not fond of the color, but it's a great looking restore. :)

View attachment 57578

I didn't know this. I believe Suburban's parent, Paramed, may have done a stint doing business as AMR. All the Suburban rigs seemed to disappear from the street, with AMR running around. Then, one day, I noticed I didn't see AMR any more. Star does not seem to run SE Oakland County like Suburban or AMR used to. I see Star more northerly; even then, I don't see them in the quantities I used to see Suburban. Alliance Mobile Medical, out of Troy, seems to be the common private provider, with Superior out of Warren being big in non-emergency transport in the area.

This picture is how the car looked just after Dan did the ground-up restoration. He added the C6 siren shown here once the restoration was complete. When he got the car from me it only had the twin speakers over the cab, and the 184 on top was blue.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Steve0625 said:

Back when the Criterions were still on the road and in demand I had a chance to buy a '75 Criterion from an ambulance sales in Arkansas for $500. The car was in decent shape but the guy considered it a "white elephant" and just wanted to get rid of it. By the time I came up with the $$$ the car was gone. Someone got a good deal.

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
Skip Goulet said:
Back when the Criterions were still on the road and in demand I had a chance to buy a '75 Criterion from an ambulance sales in Arkansas for $500. The car was in decent shape but the guy considered it a "white elephant" and just wanted to get rid of it. By the time I came up with the $$$ the car was gone. Someone got a good deal.

Kind alike back up until 2000 you could still find Pro-Car ambos without too much effort & not pay an arm and a leg. Now If you find one for sale its guaranteed to be a rotten basket case but you still better be ready to pay a fair chunk of change for it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.