911 EP TD-WL36 Replacement LED module

res510cue

Nov 10, 2012
London, KY
Hello all,

I have a 911 EP TD-WL36 all red light stick that I've had for a number of years. I went to install it in my truck, and noticed that one module doesn't light up anymore. I was wondering if anyone knew if and where I could get a replacement module? I see the 911 EP website doesn't work anymore, are they out of business? Back in the mid-late 2000's I was all up on the current emergency lighting and siren stuff, but with moving around for work and such I've not really had time to keep up with it any more. Now that I'm settling down, I have time to get back into the FD and such. Would like to get this light back to 100% working status.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Ed

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Yes, 911EP is no longer in business, though Soundoff Signal currently owns 911EP (the rights to the names and patents, etc)

Theres quite a few 911EP specific nerds here (I am a bit of a 911EP nut myself but not the newer stuff like your light) so Im sure there will be quite a few people along soon to better assist you. One problem I know the older lights had, make sure you check all of the screws that hold the lenses/lightheads onto the frame to ensure they are tight. THey carry the power current from the board to the led card and have to be tight or they wont make good contact.

res510cue

Nov 10, 2012
London, KY
Thank you for the reply. The LED modules are just held in place by the power wires on my model. The lenses are held on by screws on this light.

At any rate, I removed the lens and checked power to the module, turns out, there is no power on the wire. Guess I should have checked that first....

Next question would be, anyone know how to remove the sealing stuff where the wires are ran on the backside of the light? I know that's probably a task in itself, if its even possible.

If not I will disable the light opposite of this module so it at least looks even.

Thanks,

Ed

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Reactions: 1863650
May 23, 2010
LaGrange, KY
I have extra modules for the style of bar that the lenses are held on by 4 screws from the rear of the bar. This is the bigger leds and considered the new style. Let me know if you are interested. For quicker response pm me. Thanks

Jun 2, 2014
Colorado
That "new" potted circuit style is kind of rough to bring back around, there's a PCB that runs the length of the bar, the wires just come out at each module. It's probably the PCB which has a fracture from stress, it happens far more often than it should. The potting that's supposed to protect it seems to keep it from escaping from stress.

What I'd try first is to take all the lenses off and bend the bar with the fulcrum around the area of the module that's not illuminating, and also try torquing it. Sometimes, if you're lucky, the dead module will light-up, and that gives you an idea of what stress needs to be relieved. If you bend/torque just past the point where it comes on, you might get it to a point where the rest position it rebounds to takes the stress off the PCB.

The potting material is a mess to try to remove, and you're likely to damage components soldered to the PCBs as you try to chisel & scrape it off. Baking the bar (with all modules removed) might help soften the potting material so it'll come off more easily, but it could damage the controller chips. In other words, trying to free the PCB is a last resort if you're about to just junk the bar.

res510cue

Nov 10, 2012
London, KY
Hello all,

Just an update. I've fiddled with the bar for a while now, and no go. The module is still dead and I don't want to ruin the entire bar. So, I just ran a jumper from two modules down and picked a flash patter where every other module flash at the same time or the entire bar flashed at the same time. The two modules are a little dimmer than the rest, but traveling down the road, no one will be able to tell.

Also, does anyone have any spare end "caps" for this style of bar? A screw twisted off in the mounting screw hole.

Thanks all for the help!

Ed

Ghost1141

Apr 14, 2016
Kentucky
I have a tdtwl36 i bought defective. It flashes for maybe 20 secs does a wired flash pattern then shuts down. Is there anyone that knows how to fix this issue or repair them?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fireman5340

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.