911ep 360 Star Modification - Info Request

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Hey all,

Recently purchased a few 360 stars, and opened one up. Realized how easy it would be to swap out the LED's for other colors.

With that said, does anyone know the exact type of led's they used, and what I could replace it with? Hoping I can pop in some newer generation LED's to increase the brightness and therefore awesome-ness.

Thanks all!

2013-12-12 14.56.20.jpg

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
SireLite said:
Looks like a luxeon star. Basically a 1 watt diode soldered to a star plate.

I do believe that is correct.. now to figure out what I can replace it with, that would be far brighter! (newer generation!)

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Shoot I'll bite. That's may be 1 or 3 watt. Only way to tell is to check the incoming voltage. You may be able to rewire it to accept a 3 watt star based that I use. Cree products also frequent the star board use. You could replace it with the xp series but I believe the 3watt luxeons are brighter.

medic550

May 24, 2010
pa usa
unlisted would you have any info on these lights. Ones I bought had cig cords on them and cant find anything on how to change patterns. I found one that references multiconductor wire but mine dont have that.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
medic550 said:
unlisted would you have any info on these lights. Ones I bought had cig cords on them and cant find anything on how to change patterns. I found one that references multiconductor wire but mine dont have that.

See attached PDF

911EP 360 Star.pdf

Attachments

• 911EP 360 Star.pdf
    312 bytes · Views: 56

medic550

May 24, 2010
pa usa
Thats the same manual I found. Problem is i dont have any of the multicolor wires. Just a row of solder pads on top board. Seen a jumper soldered between two points also the cig cord is soldered to them also.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
medic550 said:
Thats the same manual I found. Problem is i dont have any of the multicolor wires. Just a row of solder pads on top board. Seen a jumper soldered between two points also the cig cord is soldered to them also.

You should start your own thread so as to not to completely hijack this thread, and post pictures , helps to see what you are talking about rather than try to visualize in other people's heads.

Cop

Aug 2, 2013
Germany
The 911Ep works with constant current so it is possible to change the LED. I guess you have a red or amber version... here is the problem: red and amber LED of the new generation need up to 500 mA. Blue and white up to 750/1000 mA. If you replace a red or amber LED with a blue or white one, it won't be that bright. But if you change a red to an amber it will work.

Sorry for my bad english...

Cop

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Cop said:
The 911Ep works with constant current so it is possible to change the LED. I guess you have a red or amber version... here is the problem: red and amber LED of the new generation need up to 500 mA. Blue and white up to 750/1000 mA. If you replace a red or amber LED with a blue or white one, it won't be that bright. But if you change a red to an amber it will work.
Sorry for my bad english...

Cop

#1 - Thank you for your first post!

#2 - Your English is much better than most Americans posting in here! :haha:

#3 - What are the side-effects should a different diode needing to be driven at a higher amperage gets replaced? Only not as bright as it should be? Damage to the diode from being under-driven?

Cop

Aug 2, 2013
Germany
Thank you! :) You can see the "new blue LED" as dimmed. There is no problem or negative side-effect because constant current has adaptional voltage. eg: A constant current source supplies our blue LED with 500mA the adaptional voltage will be from 3.0 to 3.1 V. The same constant current source supplies our red LED with 500mA the adaptional voltage will be from 2.6 to 2.8 V. Driving the blue LED with a "red LED-driver" isn't a problem, it's like dimming it with a resistor. But if you try to light up a red LED with a 1500mA driver:nono: there will be smoke and a little flash and your red LED is crashed. But as I said there is no problem to do it the other way round. :yes:

Cop

Cop

Aug 2, 2013
Germany
I forgot to say: it would be great if you meter the current at the LED or take a picture of the electronics inside the housing so I may can give you detail information about what types of LED you can use.

Cop

Aug 2, 2013
Germany
I looked a the picture again... I'm sure it's a Luxeon I Star. You can replace the LED with every LED of the I Star series because they all use 350mA.(so the blue one of the I Star has same brightness) I recommend the cree XP-E. I use 8 of them in amber in my selfmade lightbar. I take a picture for better comparsion of the XP-E at 350 mA. Over the LED is an elliptical lens.

DSC01025[1].jpg

DSC01026[1].jpg

Cop

Aug 2, 2013
Germany
Here is the Comparsion on the right side the Luxeon on the left the XP-E (now without any lenses) both amber and at 350mA.

DSC01031[1].jpg

DSC01033[1].jpg

oclgroup

Apr 5, 2014
Columbus, OH
wilsonbr90 said:
That's down my alley if your interested.

The one's I need to replace are traditional packages like what would normally be found on the three LED arrays on the Millennium in that they are probably wired in series ( I haven't checked that though) and are attached by means of two solder pads on opposite sides of the package. They need to be white instead of red. I imagine I might use higher brightness LED's but will the existing electronics support the greater load current for a three watt LED versus a one watt product? They have a four wire cable so I assume there may be two of the four used for flash pattern massaging. No other documentation is available as far as I can determine. During my initial involvement with this manufacturer, white LEDs were not yet available so I have nothing with white I can use for reference. The board on which they are attached is likely a newer generation versus the originals I encountered in the lightbar with copper ends. Their model designation is LSTAR-R, meaning I assume, red LEDs.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
oclgroup said:
The one's I need to replace are traditional packages like what would normally be found on the three LED arrays on the Millennium in that they are probably wired in series ( I haven't checked that though) and are attached by means of two solder pads on opposite sides of the package. They need to be white instead of red. I imagine I might use higher brightness LED's but will the existing electronics support the greater load current for a three watt LED versus a one watt product? They have a four wire cable so I assume there may be two of the four used for flash pattern massaging. No other documentation is available as far as I can determine. During my initial involvement with this manufacturer, white LEDs were not yet available so I have nothing with white I can use for reference. The board on which they are attached is likely a newer generation versus the originals I encountered in the lightbar with copper ends. Their model designation is LSTAR-R, meaning I assume, red LEDs.

I believe that was quoted on me so if you want to talk more PM me

Wilson

Jun 2, 2014
Colorado
There's a new series of star base Luxeons out that are slightly better than the original Luxeon Star-- the Sinkpad II 20mm base.

To compare, the OEM Luxeon Star 20mm star base Red 627nm with the Lambertian lens had a 44lm LED @ 350mA. It was part number LXHL-MD1D, it's completely off-the-shelf, 911ep did nothing special to make it their own, they didn't even wipe the generic part number.

The Sinkpad II Red 627nm produces 53lm @ 350mA. That's not a huge improvement, but at least it's not a downgrade.

What's more, the Sinkpad II is also relatively inexpensive compared to previous Luxeon star-base types in any given color.

I performed the above upgrade to refurb a 360 Star that had a few fading modules, it appears good as new.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmood

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.