'98 Explorer P.E.R.V

FFParker

Jul 17, 2010
Aiken, SC
Here is the install thread from http://elightbars.org/forums/f13/need-help-98-explorer-install-35413/ thanks to all that gave me input.

This is my 1998 Ford Explorer P.E.R.V ( Personal Emergency Response Vehicle )

The List

Whelen Freedom (FX8TX3) Installed today (9/1/12)

(4) Nova Slutras RED powered by sho-me 10.1010 in grill installed in a linear fashion verses the X pattern. installed 8/22/12

RoadRunner HLF installed 8/22/12

R/R/R/R Whacker Inciter 4 installed on rear hatch installed 8/22/12

2 red S.O.S Mini 3 , Not installed as of 9/1/12 considering moving them to the grill and taking the slultras and moving them to the rear side windows...

SHO ME R/R Gen 1 led stick Not installed as of 9/1/12 Looking for a good way to mount in the windshield area.

Whelen beta 112r Not installed as of 9.1.12

Havis Consolidator

Bearcat BCT 796

Whelen PCCS9

Kenwood TM V71 Dual band ham

Whelen LED Traffic Advisor Control Head (TACTLD1) (Yet to be installed need havis bracket)

4 Carling switch panel under arm rest to (LF ALLEY, OUTER TAKE DOWNS, INNER TAKEDOWNS, RIGHT ALLEY)

I did my first "drill through the roof" lightbar install today seeing how I will keep this EX until it goes to the crusher, I figured what the hell. I never knew how nerve racking it is drilling into your roof... It turned out well I think, I called a buddy of mine and asked all the questions I could figure,and jumped right in. I did get a little happy with the step bit but its all good. Currently the Lightbar wires are run to the console, nothing is hooked up, I still need to get some connectors and more wire.

Also waiting for an extra cash get the havis bracket for the TACTLD1.

Here are the pics so far,

DCAM0050.JPG

Rear view of the bar,

DCAM0048-Copy.jpg

DCAM0047.JPG

DCAM0046.jpg

DCAM0045.jpg

DCAM0044-Copy.jpg

DCAM0043.jpg

DCAM0042.jpg

FFParker

Jul 17, 2010
Aiken, SC
Lol, you like that, you should see the broom stick that I use as a prop for the hood.. :eek: :bonk: .. Its a work in progress, thats for sure. :D

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
P.E.R.V. - now there's one I've never heard before....smfh... :haha:

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
TheGatekeeper said:
That kind usually sits in the back of a cruiser I thought ?

Yea really. Typically when I hear perv and emergency vehicle,I picture something else entirely

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
we had a local hospital decide that they wanted an EV for an ER physician to respond to scenes of large scale incidents. When it was all said and done, a nicely done ford explorer was officially designated (by the hospital) Physicians Emergency Response Vehicle 1. on the side of the truck in big letters P.E.R.V.-1... about a month later it was re-named and re-lettered.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
foxtrot5 said:
we had a local hospital decide that they wanted an EV for an ER physician to respond to scenes of large scale incidents. When it was all said and done, a nicely done ford explorer was officially designated (by the hospital) Physicians Emergency Response Vehicle 1. on the side of the truck in big letters P.E.R.V.-1... about a month later it was re-named and re-lettered.

:) excellent !

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
Wow,thats awesome. Anyone take any pics of it with the original lettering?

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
Like the truck. Love the name. I would not have a hat made or have the vehicle lettered! And you might want to skip the vanity tag as well.

One of our running jokes was that we tried to create the Fast Action Response Team but no one would wear the hat.

FFParker

Jul 17, 2010
Aiken, SC
Well my IPhone won't let me add pics to the o.p. so I will add my progress for the day here. I finally started working on the wiring from the bar to the PCCS9 and added a master switch to the dash to control the ignition feed going to the switch panel. That keeps wondering fingers from playing with my lights will I drive. I also got my hands on an identical console for doing a quick radio install for a local k9 officer so I took the gooseneck light and added it to mine will probably sell everything else. Enough talking here are the pics. B8B10582-DD66-4F44-8243-2AAF3C0D06D2-1383-000000C143156FB8.jpg

ECCF0ED4-53A9-40E4-A076-B87E98073B21-1383-000000C12F774263.jpg

E37D3B80-68E3-4D6A-8E1E-3CFCCCC263F2-1383-000000C13A5DC78B.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Hood and glass struts at any auto parts store. $50 for all 4, takes 5 min each to R&R. Seat covers! Front air dam looks like its missing, you can find the 2000 bumper cover with round driving lights pretty cheap at junk yards. For some reason, I get silly about lights and equipment worth more than the vehicle its on. Don't get me wrong, I had a 2000 Explorer with a decent set up, but I kept it fresh looking, inside and out. Maintenance and appearance before lights. Your set up looks good, let the vehicle its on match!

Last edited by a moderator:

FFParker

Jul 17, 2010
Aiken, SC
All the emergency equipment I have had from over the years. I fully plan on a bumper swap I love the 2000 bumpers struts and seat covers as well I have been focusing more on the engine right now seeing how it is older so wires plugs oil change transmission filter fuel filter ect give me a couple more months and all will be right with the truck. I do agree with you making the the truck look as good as the install. Thanks for the comments

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Flush the engine, use Mobil One 5w20 evey 5000 miles. New fuel filter, along with a fuel rail drip system clean (no high pressure injection clean). Rear diff fluid change, fill with synthetic. Transmission flush, no pan service. Monroe gas magnum shocks. Upper ball joints are part of control arm, lowers are individual, get moog or equal, the bushings on the cheapo ball joints and tie rod ends blow out in months. Keep the air filter changed, better yet, get a K&N. I used Wagner brake pads for 80,000 miles with heavy response use. yr to find the XLT 16 inch wheels, better stability. I bought my 2000 in 2006, with 53k miles, ran 100k hard miles plus another 7k worth of idle with very few problems and no major repairs. I broke a brake line, and the drivers seat. The ac compressor was starting to go when I sold her last year.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.