99 Jeep Cherokee XJ Side Marker HAWS location

STT Installer

May 28, 2010
Idaho
I just took in a 99 Jeep Cherokee that will be the new "event" rig.

Is the front side marker (as indicated in the picture below) large enough of a housing for saw a 15 watt HAWS head? Can't decide whether to put a HAWS there or cut in the back of the housing to fit a TIR3.

jeep corner.jpg

That's def too small for a strobe. I say cut it and put the TIR3 in, or you might be able to get one of the smaller LAW's in there such as a Vertex/Universal/SNM

I have had the sidemarker on an XJ out before. There is no reflector there, just a single 194 bulb.

I would think that a TIR3 custom-mounted in there would look great though.

deputychief301 said:
What wrong with two sets of tir3 in the grille and wig wags for the head lights and a dashlight

Jim Rogers

deputychief301

No intersection warning, and if they are using it to block a road and are sideways, you need some light in that spot.

RL1 said:
No intersection warning, and if they are using it to block a road and are sideways, you need some light in that spot.

Intersection and side warning are kind of the key for this corner light... I haven't had a chance to pull the light out - if it is just a single 194 and no reflector, pretty much rules out putting a HAWS tube in there.

Considering just surface mounting a TIR3 below the corner light on the side and HAWS in the front turn/parking light housings? Not quite sure what to do for the 45 to 90 degree angle between the front HAWS and the side LED head.

STT Installer" data-source="" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
STT Installer said:
Intersection and side warning are kind of the key for this corner light... I haven't had a chance to pull the light out - if it is just a single 194 and no reflector, pretty much rules out putting a HAWS tube in there.

Considering just surface mounting a TIR3 below the corner light on the side and HAWS in the front turn/parking light housings? Not quite sure what to do for the 45 to 90 degree angle between the front HAWS and the side LED head.
Also considered completely removing the 194 bulb out and cutting in a TIR3 or Axixtech SE3 head to replace, tying it in to the parking light circuit... Downside is it might be too bright for normal non-warning use. I also believe it has the same ground-loop system in place with the turn signal to alternate when parking light is on...

STT Installer" data-source="" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
STT Installer said:
Also considered completely removing the 194 bulb out and cutting in a TIR3 or Axixtech SE3 head to replace, tying it in to the parking light circuit... Downside is it might be too bright for normal non-warning use. I also believe it has the same ground-loop system in place with the turn signal to alternate when parking light is on...

Is there space to tuck a 1157 or 3157 led in there? Might have to move it off the ground loop, but you could use the brighter side for some side warning. Not as effective as a HAW or LAW, but it's more than what you have now.

Steve0625 said:
Is there space to tuck a 1157 or 3157 led in there? Might have to move it off the ground loop, but you could use the brighter side for some side warning. Not as effective as a HAW or LAW, but it's more than what you have now.

Doesn't quite look like enough room to put a 1157 or 3157 in there - looks like it's actually too small to fit in a 196 rather than the smaller 192... Hmmm.

Since theres only a light bulb in there according to JGG, could'nt you take it out and put a SNM/Pimp LAW in there and seal it. Just throwing out an idea, never took one apart. You could also make a housing the same size as the side marker housing and screw it in where it was and put a TIR3 on it.

Caleb

calebsheltonmed23 said:
Since theres only a light bulb in there according to JGG, could'nt you take it out and put a SNM/Pimp LAW in there and seal it. Just throwing out an idea, never took one apart. You could also make a housing the same size as the side marker housing and screw it in where it was and put a TIR3 on it.
Caleb
That would work as well, just don't have LAWS on the shelf at this time :(

emt322636 said:
Turn on the 4ways when blocking traffic?
Usually not enough warning for the streets with provide support on... Still debating whether or not to keep the brush guard on the front, if it stays I'll just put TIR3s on it side and forward.

I've got a 2000 Jeep Cherokee and I WAS going to do a 10-75 intersection LP bracket, then I realized the two small "pushbars" molded into the bumper would block that side view. Now, I don't want to surface mount anything on those pushbars, as I'm done with having the look of stuff sticking out like a sore thumb, but, it's something you might want to explore. Only PITA is routing your wire from inside there, as access would be a nightmare.

grfd711 said:
I've got a 2000 Jeep Cherokee and I WAS going to do a 10-75 intersection LP bracket, then I realized the two small "pushbars" molded into the bumper would block that side view. Now, I don't want to surface mount anything on those pushbars, as I'm done with having the look of stuff sticking out like a sore thumb, but, it's something you might want to explore. Only PITA is routing your wire from inside there, as access would be a nightmare.
Hmm. Thought about those as well but access would be a nightmare either way.

Access is easy, just use a long enough drill bit to eat through the foam behind the bumper and push your wires through, they will come out the bottom. I did this on my old 2001 Cherokee before replacing the two front bumper moldings and mounting the lights on the ends. Worked well but looked goofy.

ok here's and idea for ya...

whelen currently makes a linz6 for wheeled coach in amber or red.

it has a low power function for marker light and then a high power flasher function. I've seen them activated and they flash in a split.

use the new linz6 flush mount grommet vertically. depending on how much room there is behind the lens.

cory y said:
ok here's and idea for ya...

whelen currently makes a linz6 for wheeled coach in amber or red.

it has a low power function for marker light and then a high power flasher function. I've seen them activated and they flash in a split.

use the new linz6 flush mount grommet vertically. depending on how much room there is behind the lens.

Anyone have a part number or source/street price for these? Sounds almost ideal...

Also on a side note, looks like we're going with a full size bar on the roof and removing the roof rack in the process so it may not be quite as crucial as originally planned for running a dash light.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381