'99 Volkswagen Passat

Nov 7, 2011
New England
Well it turns out I was more apprehensive about working on a VW than I should have been. It was actually a very straightforward and easy vehicle to work on. I really try to focus more on sales for the time being, not installs. Just wanted to share. Nothing fancy, just a code 3 690 power supply with 6 HAW strobes. Hooked into 2 switches, one for rear, one for front.

I took unlisted's advice and didnt touch the reverse light.. there wouldn't have been room anyways. I think things actually worked out really well in the rear of the vehicle. The videos do no justice, as it is obviously strobe and my phone isn't fancy "schmancy" (spelling? ;) ) and doesn't pick it up. The I had to carefully snap 2 pieces of plastic ribbing off the back of the tail light housing to make way to drill the hole for the tubes. No problems, very easy.

REAR

http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj623/jcpse/?action=view&current=IMG_1809.mp4 Sorry for the stupid music in the background.

FRONT

http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj623/jcpse/?action=view&current=IMG_1811.mp4

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
:) glad I can be of assistance.

After seeing the back of the taillights housing there's one more ideal location for a strobe - the unused spot right beside the reverse light. (would need to drill a hole)

Nov 7, 2011
New England
unlisted said:
:) glad I can be of assistance.

After seeing the back of the taillights housing there's one more ideal location for a strobe - the unused spot right beside the reverse light. (would need to drill a hole)

yeah I considered that too and it would be a conpletely viable option for the strobe. But the customer liked how the signal housing has a white-ish lens and only an amber filter around the bulb, and wanted the red/white contrast.

User Name

Sep 26, 2012
Michigan
Dude. You gotta go with a Martinhorn. Twin Whelen WSSC30's? You might be able to order a Hansch or Bosch from the krauts on the feuerwehr.de market.

Nov 7, 2011
New England
User Name said:
Dude. You gotta go with a Martinhorn. Twin Whelen WSSC30's? You might be able to order a Hansch or Bosch from the krauts on the feuerwehr.de market.

Confused as to how this has anything to do with this thread.. but I'll roll with it....

RIGHT?! Martinhorn all the way! LOL

User Name

Sep 26, 2012
Michigan
jcpse said:
Confused as to how this has anything to do with this thread.. but I'll roll with it....

RIGHT?! Martinhorn all the way! LOL

I'm obsessed with German cars using German equipment...a personal problem lol. They actually have some neat engineered devices for unmarked cars. I believe Hella makes a swing up light that has a door jam mount at the top of the pax window. it stows, swung down, in the car and if u have and emergency, you open the door and swing the bracket and beacon assembly up. Less cheesy than the Japanese "built into the roof" design

Mike L.

May 21, 2010
Everett, WA
User Name said:
I'm obsessed with German cars using German equipment...a personal problem lol. They actually have some neat engineered devices for unmarked cars. I believe Hella makes a swing up light that has a door jam mount at the top of the pax window. it stows, swung down, in the car and if u have and emergency, you open the door and swing the bracket and beacon assembly up. Less cheesy than the Japanese "built into the roof" design

What would it matter if a German car used German warning equipment? Its not like the public knows the brand of the strobes? Do you seriously think that every component on the car is German? Highly unlikely.

There's a reason that automakers don't make warning equipment and a reason the warning equipment manufacturers don't make cars. What about all those European countries using Whelen products or FS Vama products?

Yessh, use what works.

To the OP: Nice job on that install. Curious, are you permitted to say what the car is used for? I noticed the blue line sticker on the rear trunk so was just curious.

Nov 7, 2011
New England
Mike L. said:
To the OP: Nice job on that install. Curious, are you permitted to say what the car is used for? I noticed the blue line sticker on the rear trunk so was just curious.

Thank you. The guy is a LEO. The lights are basically for scene safety if he stops at an accident, as he is an NREMT as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike L.

May 21, 2010
Everett, WA
jcpse said:
Thank you. The guy is a LEO. The lights are basically for scene safety if he stops at an accident, as he is an NREMT as well.

Ah thats kinda what I was thinking, thank you. IMHO, I don't stop when I'm off duty - too much liability, but to each their own.

Why the strobes and not LAW's though? Was it a cost issue? I would think that LAW's would be cheaper than HAW's by the time you include the cost of power supplies and what not.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Mike L. said:
Ah thats kinda what I was thinking, thank you. IMHO, I don't stop when I'm off duty - too much liability, but to each their own.

Why the strobes and not LAW's though? Was it a cost issue? I would think that LAW's would be cheaper than HAW's by the time you include the cost of power supplies and what not.

Somehow outfitting your car so you can stop off duty sounds like a bad idea to me...

Nov 7, 2011
New England
Mike L. said:

I personally wouldn't do it if I was an LEO either, but yes, as you said, we're all different. Some like their lights in plain view, others want everything UC (ME!!)

It was a cost issue for this customer. I got a good deal on a used PS, and new cables and tubes, so we just went with that. I think it turned out well. They are very rarely used anyways. Thanks!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.