A history of Massachusetts police cars...Boston, MDC, MSP etc...

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
CFD125 said:
Most, not all, of the eastern seaboard used exclusively blue to the front years ago. This included FL, GA, NC, SC, VA, CT, MA, NH, ME, VT.

The only New England state to run all red was, and still is Rhode Island. They have some blue on the lightbars in Rhode Island now, but they rarely turn those modules on.

I had the same type of questions when I moved to Milpitas, Ca. in 1980. What was up with red lights forward, and an amber flasher to the rear???

And on most of the Twinsonics, they wouldn't even turn on the rotators. Just the front steady, and rear flasher.

Back in the day, the only Mass agency to run red to the front was the Turnpike Authority, and the MDC police (Metropolitan District Commission...Also Mad Dog Cops)

Just a minor correction. VASP utilized red lights from it's inception in 1942 (prior to that it was the Division of Motor Vehicles) right up until the mid 80's. All police vehicles (local, state and county) utilized red lights by state edict (I worked for both the Richmond, VA and Virginia Commonwealth University departments in the early 80's while in college) until police organizations lobbied the state in 1984 to allow blue lights lights as an addition to/or totally replace red. Once the former edict was rescinded, blue lights began showing up around 1985 as departments modified exisiting lights or purchased replacement equipment with blue as the primary color.

The first VASP cars to sport blue lights were their Ford LTD/Crown Victorias in 1985 which utilized Federal Signal CJ-184 beacons (with their red domes swapped for blue). Older cars were retro-fitted with blue domes. Some VASP cruisers retained red "lollipop" flashers behind the grille as a secondary warning device to the roof beacon.

Last edited by a moderator:

HFD eng1ine

Jul 27, 2010
Essex County. MA
liberal noob said:
Has anyone seen the State Police am
bulance lit up? Is it all blue, all red, or a combination of both?

The fronts all blue, the rear most likely has amber and red along with blue. And also, the front lightbar is not on a typical ambulance pattern, it is on a random type flash pattern unlike most ambulances.

Kp

50theman

Feb 1, 2011
Virginia
Sarge619 said:
Just a minor correction. VASP utilized red lights from it's inception in 1942 (prior to that it was the Division of Motor Vehicles) right up until the mid 80's. All police vehicles (local, state and county) utilized red lights by state edict (I worked for both the Richmond, VA and Virginia Commonwealth University departments in the early 80's while in college) until police organizations lobbied the state in 1984 to allow blue lights lights as an addition to/or totally replace red. Once the former edict was rescinded, blue lights began showing up around 1985 as departments modified exisiting lights or purchased replacement equipment with blue as the primary color.

The first VASP cars to sport blue lights were their Ford LTD/Crown Victorias in 1985 which utilized Federal Signal CJ-184 beacons (with their red domes swapped for blue). Older cars were retro-fitted with blue domes. Some VASP cruisers retained red "lollipop" flashers behind the grille as a secondary warning device to the roof beacon.

:iagree:

They did not start using blue until the mid 1980's, I remember the state and county switching over and Richmond City Police started using both red and blue.

5-0

:popo:

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
CFD125 said:
Most, not all, of the eastern seaboard used exclusively blue to the front years ago. This included FL, GA, NC, SC, VA, CT, MA, NH, ME, VT.

The only New England state to run all red was, and still is Rhode Island. They have some blue on the lightbars in Rhode Island now, but they rarely turn those modules on.

FYI, Connecticut State Police ran red lights exclusively right up until about 1970. That's about the time when they started using their removable Whelen 3800 setups with a "Commander" strobe beacon in the center, and two rear facing strobe heads at each end. The beacon was flanked by metal plates (white on red and gold on blue) spelling out "STATE POLICE".

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
I seem to remember CT using R/B after that with the removable Edge bars as well....and I'm pretty sure RI has only put blue in the rear of their bars dating back to the vista....

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
I wanted to share this car-

ai256.photobucket.com_albums_hh192_kadetklapp_chino5.jpg

This belonged to a good friend of mine who passed away this past summer. He picked this car up in Connecticut after it was sold at surplus by Mass. It's recently been sold to another friend of mine who's going to do some fixing on it.

This and the Virginia state police color scheme are my favorites on Caprices.

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
kadetklapp said:
I wanted to share this car-
ai256.photobucket.com_albums_hh192_kadetklapp_chino5.jpg

This belonged to a good friend of mine who passed away this past summer. He picked this car up in Connecticut after it was sold at surplus by Mass. It's recently been sold to another friend of mine who's going to do some fixing on it.

This and the Virginia state police color scheme are my favorites on Caprices.

That is a really clean looking Caprice!!

I Didn't think you were allowed to keep the paint scheme once it was sold to a civilian though..

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
tom said:
That is a really clean looking Caprice!!

I Didn't think you were allowed to keep the paint scheme once it was sold to a civilian though..

Looks can be deceiving. It's a rust box unfortunately.

The car was bought with the correct paint, although in this picture the car had the doors and fenders repainted after some rust repair and decal scrape repair.

Also, I believe the previous owner added the pass. side spotlight, as I do not believe that was original to Mass SP specs. Here is a picture of it after he won it at auction-

ai256.photobucket.com_albums_hh192_kadetklapp_chino2.jpg

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
kadetklapp said:
Looks can be deceiving. It's a rust box unfortunately.

The car was bought with the correct paint, although in this picture the car had the doors and fenders repainted after some rust repair and decal scrape repair.

Also, I believe the previous owner added the pass. side spotlight, as I do not believe that was original to Mass SP specs. Here is a picture of it after he won it at auction-

ai256.photobucket.com_albums_hh192_kadetklapp_chino2.jpg

MSP specs do not have dual spots so that's definately an inaccurate modification.

Also, it used to be that re-sellers (used-car dealers) were not allowed by law to sell former MSP cruisers with the paint scheme intact, it had to be repainted so as not to appear to be a MSP unit (though as long ago as 1982 I know personally of a dealer who sold old MSP cars he picked up at auction untouched except for removal of emblems and lettering - either scraping them off or paining over them with black spray-paint. Some dealers only went so far as repainting the doors, hood and trunk, leaving only the roof "French Blue").

If auctioned by the state, they could be sold "as is", but the new owner was required to repaint the vehicle IF registered in Massachusetts within a certain time period. As the car in this post is from out-of-state, this may not be applicable.

I know for a fact there is a resident of CT who currently owns/displays a restored 1969 MSP cruiser complete with MSP door shields and "STATE POLICE" lettering. It may require "official permission" from the Dept. of State Police to maintain such a replica if the owner has it registered in Mass (something I want to find out as even though I am a police officer, I'd like to do a vintage MSP cruiser and want to do it properly/legally) but that may not apply outside of Mass. HOWEVER, I'm not sure of the legality of out-of-staters with MSP-accurate markings/colors bringing them into state without some type of permission (I have seen that same out-of-state owned MSP replica at car shows in Mass). Something to think about. I know CHP was VERY stringent about restored/replica CHP cars being displayed/operated in California. If all else fails, call the State Police Headqurters and ask to speak to their Legal Division with inquiries.

I'm researching this via Massachusetts General Laws (don't recall the chapter or section regarding the regulations of resale of MSP cruisers off the top of my head, or whether it has been repealed or ammended since I last perused it), when I get a definitive answer, I'll post it.

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
I seem to remember CT using R/B after that with the removable Edge bars as well....and I'm pretty sure RI has only put blue in the rear of their bars dating back to the vista....

Yup, CTSP Edge bars were red/blue (with gold illuminated STATE POLICE sign in the black plastic center section covering access to the power supplies). In fact, you could sometimes find the old 3800 crossbar setups sporting blue and red lenses in the rear-facing sealed-beam strobe heads (this was used on bars sporting either the 5000 or newer 5200 "Commander" beacons). Sometimes the rear-facing heads were red/left, blue/right, sometimes vice-versa. See the enclosed pics... one has the red on the left, one has the red on the right, and the older Ford has all blue lenses (photo credit unknown, found on the web):

CTSP 78 Ford LTD (2).jpg

CTSP 77 Ford LTD (4).jpg

CTSP 70 Ford.jpg

You're doubly correct too, my friend... the blue module started showing up in the RISP Vistas to the rear only about 1998 when they got the "new" body-style Crown Vics.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Notice the red Vitalite, Corporal, and Respond-A-Strobe in the rear windows.

Before bars, I believe the used red Vitalites, and red Deputys, and Corporals. I had a Deputy masked CSP, and the badge # of a trooper.

Dan

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
dmathieu said:
Notice the red Vitalite, Corporal, and Respond-A-Strobe in the rear windows.
Before bars, I believe the used red Vitalites, and red Deputys, and Corporals. I had a Deputy masked CSP, and the badge # of a trooper.

Dan

Yup... here's a pic of a '66 CTSP Ford with one of the aforementioned lights on the roof and the detachable STATE POLICE emblems. SIDE NOTE: CTSP, like many other SP/HP agencies at the time used two door hardtops right up through the late 60's and early 70's. The first CTSP 4 door I ever saw an example of was a '68 Ford. The Mass. State Police didn't buy four-doors until their 1969 Plymouth Furys. VASP didn't switch over 'til they bought their '70 Furys. RISP was buying two-door Ford LTD's right up until 1978!! (photo from web, unknown photographer)CTSP 65 Ford.jpg

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
Sarge619 said:
MSP specs do not have dual spots so that's definately an inaccurate modification.

Also, it used to be that re-sellers (used-car dealers) were not allowed by law to sell former MSP cruisers with the paint scheme intact, it had to be repainted so as not to appear to be a MSP unit (though as long ago as 1982 I know personally of a dealer who sold old MSP cars he picked up at auction untouched except for removal of emblems and lettering - either scraping them off or paining over them with black spray-paint. Some dealers only went so far as repainting the doors, hood and trunk, leaving only the roof "French Blue").

If auctioned by the state, they could be sold "as is", but the new owner was required to repaint the vehicle IF registered in Massachusetts within a certain time period. As the car in this post is from out-of-state, this may not be applicable.

I know for a fact there is a resident of CT who currently owns/displays a restored 1969 MSP cruiser complete with MSP door shields and "STATE POLICE" lettering. It may require "official permission" from the Dept. of State Police to maintain such a replica if the owner has it registered in Mass (something I want to find out as even though I am a police officer, I'd like to do a vintage MSP cruiser and want to do it properly/legally) but that may not apply outside of Mass. HOWEVER, I'm not sure of the legality of out-of-staters with MSP-accurate markings/colors bringing them into state without some type of permission (I have seen that same out-of-state owned MSP replica at car shows in Mass). Something to think about. I know CHP was VERY stringent about restored/replica CHP cars being displayed/operated in California. If all else fails, call the State Police Headqurters and ask to speak to their Legal Division with inquiries.

I'm researching this via Massachusetts General Laws (don't recall the chapter or section regarding the regulations of resale of MSP cruisers off the top of my head, or whether it has been repealed or ammended since I last perused it), when I get a definitive answer, I'll post it.

No doubt you are correct. I also do not think they would have used 4" Unity spotlights but the guy who owned the car (my friend) wasn't really very correct in a lot of his "restoration" work. I chided him endlessly about it.

The car's new owner has since installed the correct P03 hubcaps and is likely going to repair the incorrect spotlight cut out, trim the whip, and remove all the Impala SS crap.

In Indiana, you cannot own a car that resembles an Indiana law enforcement agency paint scheme. However, it's all but unenforceable. It was in response to wackers buying old Indiana Sheriff cars (two-tone brown) and doing wacker-ish things with them. So far nothing's been said here, but we will see.

Here it is with the new owner-

ai165.photobucket.com_albums_u63_phastlt1_001_6.jpg

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
Sarge619 said:

Also, it used to be that re-sellers (used-car dealers) were not allowed by law to sell former MSP cruisers with the paint scheme intact, it had to be repainted so as not to appear to be a MSP unit...

I'd *love* to find out the Ch/Sec! I remember hearing rumblings of this for a while, but then someone told me that it there was no actual law, you'd just be brought to court on copyright infringement for the paint scheme.

I'm interested to get the true story.

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
Here's a gem I found on the web. Many of the "vintage" MSP cruisers pics you see are of restored cars. Some are very accurate, (like the 51 Ford), some not (like the two-tone blue '31 Ford they have... MSP did not adopt French and Electric blue as their uniform colors until 1933, and it did not start showing up on their cars until the end of the 30's). So, it makes one wonder... are they blue lights we see on these restored cars accurate? Did they really use blue that far back in their history? Well, this pic not only attests to the fact that they not only used blue way back when.... but SPLIT domes too with red to the rear.

This is either a '47 or '48 Ford (forgive me for not being exact... my knowledge of cars dims siginificantly before the 60's). What's important is that this is an actual color photo of an actual MSP cruiser of the period taken during the late 40's and not a b/w snap which makes identification of the light colors difficult.

Dig the funky roof light! Some of the light guru's on here will know the exact make and model, but all I care about is that it is definately blue to the front and red to the rear and probably one of the earliest examples I've seen of a '40's era MSP cruiser with a roof light (plenty of pics of 50's era "bluebirds" with roof lights). Photgrapher unknown.... location.... looks like perhaps western Mass.? Enjoy (click on the pic to get full resolution and you'll see the red/blue split)!

MSP 47 Ford.jpg

CHPPhil

Jul 6, 2010
France Paris
Here is my ex 1956 Buick I outfitted as a Mass SP cruiser in 2000; the roof light is red because I did not find any blue one at this time.

I know such Buicks have never been use but it was my first try to go to police cars collection (now, I own 1991 CVPI). The french blue color of the uniform comes from the french soldiers uniform during WWI; the first Superintendant wanted this color with the navy blue because he went to fight in France and loved this color.

I was warmly commented by the Mass. Trooper association in their newspaper.

msp sucy en brie.jpg

bk trooper mag 1.jpg

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
CHPPhil said:
Here is my ex 1956 Buick I outfitted as a Mass SP cruiser in 2000; the roof light is red because I did not find any blue one at this time.
I know such Buicks have never been use but it was my first try to go to police cars collection (now, I own 1991 CVPI). The french blue color of the uniform comes from the french soldiers uniform during WWI; the first Superintendant wanted this color with the navy blue because he went to fight in France and loved this color.

I was warmly commented by the Mass. Trooper association in their newspaper.

Great story Phil! Just a minor correction though.... ;)

MSP colors are "French and Electric Blue" (not Navy).

You are 100% correct in your info regarding Commissioner Alfred E. Foote. He was a General commanding infantry in the 104 Division in France serving alongside his French counterparts during WWI. He had been extremely impressed by the sharp, professional appearance of the French military and it made a lasting impression on him. He served as Commissioner of the State Police from 1921 until 1933 (longer than any other Commissioner). The uniform colors were officially adopted and issuance began in June 1933 at the end of Foote's tenure (from 1921 until then, they wore Forest Green blouse jackets and breeches with white shirts and red ties) and the first graduating academy class to wear them was the 25th Recruit Training Troop.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Sarge619 said:
Here's a gem I found on the web. Many of the "vintage" MSP cruisers pics you see are of restored cars. Some are very accurate, (like the 51 Ford), some not (like the two-tone blue '31 Ford they have... MSP did not adopt French and Electric blue as their uniform colors until 1933, and it did not start showing up on their cars until the end of the 30's). So, it makes one wonder... are they blue lights we see on these restored cars accurate? Did they really use blue that far back in their history? Well, this pic not only attests to the fact that they not only used blue way back when.... but SPLIT domes too with red to the rear.

This is either a '47 or '48 Ford (forgive me for not being exact... my knowledge of cars dims siginificantly before the 60's). What's important is that this is an actual color photo of an actual MSP cruiser of the period taken during the late 40's and not a b/w snap which makes identification of the light colors difficult.

Dig the funky roof light! Some of the light guru's on here will know the exact make and model, but all I care about is that it is definately blue to the front and red to the rear and probably one of the earliest examples I've seen of a '40's era MSP cruiser with a roof light (plenty of pics of 50's era "bluebirds" with roof lights). Photgrapher unknown.... location.... looks like perhaps western Mass.? Enjoy (click on the pic to get full resolution and you'll see the red/blue split)!

View attachment 21056

Looks like a "beehive" light with a split glass lens, possibly a Corpenter brand.

Dan

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
dmathieu said:
Looks like a "beehive" light with a split glass lens, possibly a Corpenter brand.

Dan

Thanks Dan, I think you're right. I also posted the pic on another police-related website and a retired trooper, while not mentioning the make/model stated they used to also be jokingly called "Jelly Jars" as they resembled the glass jars jam and jelly were sold in during that era.

5pt0Joe

Jan 9, 2012
CT
Sarge619 said:

Regarding the dual spotlights, some MSP cruisers did have dual spotlights. This however is few and far between, as marked French and Electric Blue MSP cruisers have a single spotlight. I have 1996 MSP Ford Bronco #1644 which had three different liveries while in service. First, it was an unmarked unit (unknown to me which lights and equipment it had or spotlights, if any). Although not certain, it may or may not have been a narcotics unit (rumored that some were used for this). As pictured below, #1644 and #2062 are sitting side by side. The second livery for #1644 was as shown, with dual spotlights, solid factory color, and marked. In its third livery, it became a marked unit (looking exactly like #2062) and they filled in the holes on the passenger side pillar. My Bronco, as it sits now, is also pictured below.

375644_534325097724_166300605_30626871_1841792908_n.jpg

*In-service pic was given to me from the previous owner.

As far as where it talks about repainting the car, I believe this is the one you are referring to?

General Laws: CHAPTER 266, Section 92A

Regarding spotlights, you can also use this photo to reference the size.

As far as lights, decals, and colors of any former service vehicle, it is my understanding (and I'm no expert), that since rules vary state to state, it is very unclear. I have not owned my Bronco long, but where I am in Maine, I have no problem getting it inspected with decals. Maine is very tight on their laws regarding lights and equipment, but not so much on decals. When I'm done, it will be outfitted just as it was in-service. Now, how will I get away even thinking about driving it in MA? It is my understanding that when driving it in MA (in the current state without everything), the most the MSP can do is stop me and tell me to repaint my vehicle. After I have it outfitted, I don't even want the hassle, so I'll be getting written permission from the state. All lights will be covered or removed, all decals will be covered, and "Not in Service" magnets will be plastered all over it, especially when driving in MA. For me, I'm looking at it from the "use common sense" method since these laws are so unclear. I'm going to obtain as much information as I possibly can and make as many proper judgements as possible. With that said, if you find out any more information (whether it be a MA registered ex-MSP or an out-sf-state registered ex-MSP cruiser), please let me know! :)

And, that 1969 MSP Polara is nice. I see it every year at the Tuna show when I'm there with one of my Mustangs. A couple of years ago I brought my 1 of 5 (1 of 2 known remaining) MSP 1988 Special Service Package Mustangs there (unmarked, Unit #2702) and last year I braved the bad weather with my 1990 Texas DPS SSP Mustang #M0-198 (which I sold to the guy who has brought his 1 of 1 Seal Beach Saleen Mustang in the past). I actually purchased the Bronco from another attendee at the show who usually brings a plethora of ex-police cars. Fun times!

Here is a pic of my SSP Mustang in the background!

5452_510427558584_166300605_30338334_2075853_n.jpg

As far as the blue/red light discussion... very interesting! I was told that the SSP Mustangs were all blue in front and from some, all blue in back, while others say there was a single red strobe in the back on the left side (two lights in the rear window). As for which is correct, I don't know. Especially since each of the five were outfitted completely different. Just makes it harder to do an accurate restoration!

inserv-broncos.jpg

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
5pt0Joe said:
Regarding the dual spotlights, some MSP cruisers did have dual spotlights. This however is few and far between, as marked French and Electric Blue MSP cruisers have a single spotlight. I have 1996 MSP Ford Bronco #1644 which had three different liveries while in service. First, it was an unmarked unit (unknown to me which lights and equipment it had or spotlights, if any). Although not certain, it may or may not have been a narcotics unit (rumored that some were used for this). As pictured below, #1644 and #2062 are sitting side by side. The second livery for #1644 was as shown, with dual spotlights, solid factory color, and marked. In its third livery, it became a marked unit (looking exactly like #2062) and they filled in the holes on the passenger side pillar. My Bronco, as it sits now, is also pictured below.

View attachment 22239View attachment 22240

*In-service pic was given to me from the previous owner.

As far as where it talks about repainting the car, I believe this is the one you are referring to?

Regarding spotlights, you can also use this photo to reference the size.

As far as lights, decals, and colors of any former service vehicle, it is my understanding (and I'm no expert), that since rules vary state to state, it is very unclear. I have not owned my Bronco long, but where I am in Maine, I have no problem getting it inspected with decals. Maine is very tight on their laws regarding lights and equipment, but not so much on decals. When I'm done, it will be outfitted just as it was in-service. Now, how will I get away even thinking about driving it in MA? It is my understanding that when driving it in MA (in the current state without everything), the most the MSP can do is stop me and tell me to repaint my vehicle. After I have it outfitted, I don't even want the hassle, so I'll be getting written permission from the state. All lights will be covered or removed, all decals will be covered, and "Not in Service" magnets will be plastered all over it, especially when driving in MA. For me, I'm looking at it from the "use common sense" method since these laws are so unclear. I'm going to obtain as much information as I possibly can and make as many proper judgements as possible. With that said, if you find out any more information (whether it be a MA registered ex-MSP or an out-sf-state registered ex-MSP cruiser), please let me know! :)

And, that 1969 MSP Polara is nice. I see it every year at the Tuna show when I'm there with one of my Mustangs. A couple of years ago I brought my 1 of 5 (1 of 2 known remaining) MSP 1988 Special Service Package Mustangs there (unmarked, Unit #2702) and last year I braved the bad weather with my 1990 Texas DPS SSP Mustang #M0-198 (which I sold to the guy who has brought his 1 of 1 Seal Beach Saleen Mustang in the past). I actually purchased the Bronco from another attendee at the show who usually brings a plethora of ex-police cars. Fun times!

Here is a pic of my SSP Mustang in the background!

View attachment 22241

As far as the blue/red light discussion... very interesting! I was told that the SSP Mustangs were all blue in front and from some, all blue in back, while others say there was a single red strobe in the back on the left side (two lights in the rear window). As for which is correct, I don't know. Especially since each of the five were outfitted completely different. Just makes it harder to do an accurate restoration!

Yup, that was the law I was referring to!

Re: MSP SSP Mustangs. Back in 1990, I had a friend on the "55 Team" (before they were disbanded) who was assigned a SSP. Occasionally I would either ride with him or we'd set up a trap on the interstate running through my town when things were slow. As I recall, his SSP was equipped with red and blue strobes on the rear deck. I have also seen another MSP Mustang that had all blue strobes, so, it could go both ways and be accurate.

Re: 1969 Polara MSP "clone". I first saw that car at "Tune for Tuna" in '09. Back then it had an incorrect beacon (it was either a Dietz 211/7-11 or perhaps a Unity IIRC) on the roof. Since then, he has switched to the correct FS CJ184 (although with a non-FS dome). It is a beautiful looking car, but in many ways innacurate, as according to my information, I can find no record that the MSP purchased any Polara's, in '69 or otherwise (they did, however purchase Dodge Monacos in '74 and Royal Monacos in '77, both years on split bids with Ford Customs in '74 and Ford LTDs/Plymouth Gran Furys in '77). They did not purchase Dodge sedans again until the 1980 St. Regis', and then not again until the 2006 Chargers). I do know for a fact in 1969 they purchased Plymouth Furys and Ford Customs (both models for that year were the first 4-door cruisers the regular troops of the MSP ran - Troop E on the Turnpike allegedly purchased 4-door Fords starting in '68 and/or Ford station wagons, but I'm unable to find any pics or corroborating evidence).

Here's a pic of one of the '69 Fury's (photo credit = unknown):

MSP 69 Fury.jpg

pc0k894

Sep 7, 2010
Midwest USA
To the uneducated, the Mass SP 1969 Polara is a nice car. To those of us in the restored police car hobby, it is what we call a 'clown car' in that it is incorrect to the point that it's almost a joke. It would be like taking the internal workings of one lightbar (for example JetSonic) and installing them on a different bar (like an MX7000) and attempting pass it off as a Code3 bar. You might fool a few people, but to those who know the difference, you've lost your credibility.

Here is a photo I shot of it in 2010 at the annual NYPD Museum Show.

Wrong make/model car for MA SP

It's a higher trim level of Polara. Should be a bare-bones base model

Wrong roof light

Wrong font/size fender letters

Wrong spotlight bracket/location for installation

aimages53.fotki.com_v545_photos_7_42477_8811990_DSC06141_vi.jpg

To the owner's partial credit, I believe the Polara was built as a movie car and he bought it that way.

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
I dug up the shot I took back in '09 at "Tune for Tuna" when it had the wrong beacon on it (a Unity RV-46?) before he switched over to the FS CJ184 sometime in '10 or '11. Greg, any idea what movie this appeared in?

BTW, for those interested in firearms and locales, that's the Smith & Wesson firearms factory behind the car.

MSP 69 Polara clone.jpg

5pt0Joe

Jan 9, 2012
CT
Sarge619 said:
Re: MSP SSP Mustangs. Back in 1990, I had a friend on the "55 Team" (before they were disbanded) who was assigned a SSP. Occasionally I would either ride with him or we'd set up a trap on the interstate running through my town when things were slow. As I recall, his SSP was equipped with red and blue strobes on the rear deck. I have also seen another MSP Mustang that had all blue strobes, so, it could go both ways and be accurate.
Which color was the Mustang? When mine was in service, it was Medium Shadow Blue Metallic (blue with a silver/gray haze over it) before being painted black at some point while in service. The owner of the Bright Regatta Blue one (later painted the MSP Electric Blue) currently resides in MA with another collector almost restored now. Two have fell off the radar somewhere. I have seen a black, maroon, and white Turnpike Authority car surface though. They used somewhere between 7-9 of them. There is one more SSP Mustang out there in service in a town in MA, but it unknown whether it was a TA or SP car or came from out of state. It is gray/silver.

Regardless of whether or not mine was the one you got to ride in, I'd love to talk to you about it sometime. If interested, just PM me your phone number and most likely this weekend I'll have a little free time.

pc0k894 said:
To the uneducated, the Mass SP 1969 Polara is a nice car. To those of us in the restored police car hobby, it is what we call a 'clown car' in that it is incorrect to the point that it's almost a joke.
I'll admit, I'm one of the uneducated ones on that! LOL! Back in 2008 when I purchased my first police car (Texas DPS #M0-198), I really wasn't looking to enter the police hobby at all. When I flew out to KS and drove it 1550 miles home as part of a father-son road trip, everywhere we stopped, people had questions. I dug into research heavy once I got home. If it were a SSP restoration, I can pick out a strong amount of inaccuracies, but anything else... nope! Since then, I've purchased four more SSP Mustangs. Of those five, I still own four and will be consolidating down to three eventually. Of my other vehicles, two have prior-police use, the other six do not.

If anyone who has not attended a Tune By Tuna show, if you want to see some pics, I've got my 2009 trip up in my photo gallery on my website here.

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
5pt0Joe said:
Which color was the Mustang? When mine was in service, it was Medium Shadow Blue Metallic (blue with a silver/gray haze over it) before being painted black at some point while in service. The owner of the Bright Regatta Blue one (later painted the MSP Electric Blue) currently resides in MA with another collector almost restored now. Two have fell off the radar somewhere. I have seen a black, maroon, and white Turnpike Authority car surface though. They used somewhere between 7-9 of them. There is one more SSP Mustang out there in service in a town in MA, but it unknown whether it was a TA or SP car or came from out of state. It is gray/silver.

Regardless of whether or not mine was the one you got to ride in, I'd love to talk to you about it sometime. If interested, just PM me your phone number and most likely this weekend I'll have a little free time.

I'll admit, I'm one of the uneducated ones on that! LOL! Back in 2008 when I purchased my first police car (Texas DPS #M0-198), I really wasn't looking to enter the police hobby at all. When I flew out to KS and drove it 1550 miles home as part of a father-son road trip, everywhere we stopped, people had questions. I dug into research heavy once I got home. If it were a SSP restoration, I can pick out a strong amount of inaccuracies, but anything else... nope! Since then, I've purchased four more SSP Mustangs. Of those five, I still own four and will be consolidating down to three eventually. Of my other vehicles, two have prior-police use, the other six do not.

If anyone who has not attended a Tune By Tuna show, if you want to see some pics, I've got my 2009 trip up in my photo gallery on my website here.

The one my friend had was maroon. He was tragically killed several years later in a cruiser accident - a van jumped the median and hit him head on (R.I.P. Dave) after he had transferred back east closer to Boston.

While a little cramped (I'm over 6'5") in there, it was a BLAST.... and non-stop fun, especially going after some high-end Porsche or other sports car and seeing their eyeballs widen in their rear-view when that 'Stang crawled up their backside and suddenly sprouted lights and a siren!

Looks like we were there at "Tuna" the same day... here's some shots I took at the event: '09 Tune for Tuna vintage cruisers - a set on Flickr

I take it that's your Texas DPS Mustang next to the '73 CHP Polara..... nice ride!

CHPPhil

Jul 6, 2010
France Paris
Concerning Hitler and the SP uniform, isn't a legend ? Did he really love this uniform to use it for his army and SS corps ?

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
CHPPhil said:
Concerning Hitler and the SP uniform, isb't a legend ? Did he really love this uniform to use it for his army and SS corps ?

The way I heard it was the MSP Class A uniform was allegedly the inspiration for the Luftwaffe dress uniform and not the SS. I'm not up on my Nazi uniforms, but know the SS wore all black. Don't know how true it is or if it's just another "myth".

5pt0Joe

Jan 9, 2012
CT
Sarge619 said:
The one my friend had was maroon. He was tragically killed several years later in a cruiser accident - a van jumped the median and hit him head on (R.I.P. Dave) after he had transferred back east closer to Boston.

While a little cramped (I'm over 6'5") in there, it was a BLAST.... and non-stop fun, especially going after some high-end Porsche or other sports car and seeing their eyeballs widen in their rear-view when that 'Stang crawled up their backside and suddenly sprouted lights and a siren!

Looks like we were there at "Tuna" the same day... here's some shots I took at the event: '09 Tune for Tuna vintage cruisers - a set on Flickr
Very sorry to hear about your friend Dave. My condolences to you, his friends, and family.

It's ironic how you mention Porsche's specifically, as the early slogan for when the SSP's came out was "This Ford Chases Porsches for a Living." As you said, it really did!

I actually tried tracking down the maroon one, as I had some "insider" info that told me it was sold to a gentlemen who owned a repair shop and sold cars on the side in NH just over the line. After he fixed it up, his employee purchased it from him. I tried to get a hold of the original owner, however the business line kept ringing and ringing (not even an answering machine) when I called at four different times. Another friend of mine holds the VIN's for the 5 SSP's used. When run via CarFax, the maroon one was one of the three that "got lost on the radar". As for if it is a race car or sitting in a junk yard, that is my only guess... if it hasn't been made into a paperweight yet, that is. :cry:

Just to confirm what I have heard from others, was the maroon one unit #756 from Troop B and had red interior? I can't seem to find the paperwork off hand of the notes I took when I spoke with someone about that car.

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
5pt0Joe said:
Very sorry to hear about your friend Dave. My condolences to you, his friends, and family.

It's ironic how you mention Porsche's specifically, as the early slogan for when the SSP's came out was "This Ford Chases Porsches for a Living." As you said, it really did!

I actually tried tracking down the maroon one, as I had some "insider" info that told me it was sold to a gentlemen who owned a repair shop and sold cars on the side in NH just over the line. After he fixed it up, his employee purchased it from him. I tried to get a hold of the original owner, however the business line kept ringing and ringing (not even an answering machine) when I called at four different times. Another friend of mine holds the VIN's for the 5 SSP's used. When run via CarFax, the maroon one was one of the three that "got lost on the radar". As for if it is a race car or sitting in a junk yard, that is my only guess... if it hasn't been made into a paperweight yet, that is. :cry:

Just to confirm what I have heard from others, was the maroon one unit #756 from Troop B and had red interior? I can't seem to find the paperwork off hand of the notes I took when I spoke with someone about that car.

Joe, it may have been assigned to B Troop (Western Mass), but at the time I rode it was operating out of C Troop (Central Mass). It may have been cycled out to C Troop by 1990/91, don't know for sure as I never really followed the SSP's too much. IIRC it did have a red interior. I don't recall what unit number it was, but 756 could have been it.

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
ryan81986 said:

Gotta love that old BAPERN paint scheme. I think at one point, half the local cruisers in the state were painted that way... even non-BAPERN agencies like mine and the surrounding towns. With the exception of the middle pic, it's obvious Winthrop didn't like spending money on cruiser graphics. Sheesh... at least put a reproduction of the patch or badge on the door......... :weird: :blinkhuh: :uhno:

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
5pt0Joe said:

Interesting.

Assuming there are no other applicable laws, it appears that it is only illegal in MA for a PRIVATE PARTY to SELL a police vehicle without first removing the markings / painting it a solid color.

It does not prohibit OWNING a vehicle marked as a police vehicle, or even a municipality from selling a marked unit to a private party.

(The "police impersonation" laws in MA also have an element requiring the perpetrator to use the fake authority to gain something or coerce someone else... following this logic one could conceivably drive around all day in a police car and be within the law... assuming that there aren't any blue lights visible... even when turned off... so an historically accurate halogen bar would technically be in violation...)

ryan81986

Apr 13, 2011
Boston, MA
CHPPhil said:
Concerning Hitler and the SP uniform, isb't a legend ? Did he really love this uniform to use it for his army and SS corps ?

The rumor is that Heinrich Himmler visited Massachusetts awhile before WWII and was impressed by the MSP uniforms and modeled the SS uniforms after them. Again, however its a rumor.

ryan81986

Apr 13, 2011
Boston, MA
Sarge619 said:
Gotta love that old BAPERN paint scheme. I think at one point, half the local cruisers in the state were painted that way... even non-BAPERN agencies like mine and the surrounding towns. With the exception of the middle pic, it's obvious Winthrop didn't like spending money on cruiser graphics. Sheesh... at least put a reproduction of the patch or badge on the door......... :weird: :blinkhuh: :uhno:

Yeah they've come a long way

443973562_mMbT7-L-2.jpg

charger.jpg

I actually liked the white paint/decal scheme but the black and white definitely looks good.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
a TON of MA towns and cities are returning to the black and white color schemes after experimenting with different outfits..Marlboro had a white with red and blue stripe and city seal for about 10 years and hudson has a silver paint job and have both returned to B&W along with a few others around here...

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
emtanderson51 said:
a TON of MA towns and cities are returning to the black and white color schemes after experimenting with different outfits..Marlboro had a white with red and blue stripe and city seal for about 10 years and hudson has a silver paint job and have both returned to B&W along with a few others around here...

Actually, not to nit-pick, but the BAPERN "checkerboard" scheme (white hood, roof, trunk and front doors) was dark blue and white. While there definately were some departments that traditionally used black and whites, the vast majority of "checkerboard" schemes in Mass in the 70's, 80's and and 90's were dark blue and white (a BIG exception being the old "Mets" - MDC Police - scheme which was green and white in the pre-Bratton/"Metro Police" days - and before that orange over blue, and prior to that black and grey). B/W is really a much more recent wide-spread fad here.

Prior to the white with red/blue stripes cars, Marlboro PD units were white with a broad blue horizontal band running the length of the body and simple white lettering spelling out "City of Marlborough Police" (the same guy - a one man custom design/application outfit - that did our graphics for nearly 30 years also did the Marlboro cars as well as Lancaster, Harvard, Clinton, Stow, Waltham, Leominster, etc. etc. during that period - he has since retired from doing police graphics).

Now most of those aforementioned PD's use "off the shelf" graphics packages supplied by the dealership in Marlboro, MHQ. Back in the day many of the cities and towns wanted some originality to their fleets instead of the "cookie-cutter" BAPERN look (or LAPD black and white clones) with a shield on the door, POLICE on the front fenders and the phone number on the trunk. My PD abandoned the BAPERN look in 1984 and never went back... nor have we succumbed to the B/W fad. We still utilize custom-graphics, but since 2008 made/applied by an outfit in Hudson recommended by our original supplier (and the new outfit was provided with the artwork and CAD designs that were created by me and our original graphics guy - we collaborated on the look of my PD's fleet for over 20 years). It costs a little more for custom stuff, but our graphics have proven to be of higher quality and more durable, making them just as cost-effective in the long run - important if you're not turning over your entire fleet every few years. We're still running our two original '07 Chargers along with an '08, '09. and '10 (and an '08 Expedition).

Nowadays, it's all pre-packaged graphics on B/W cars. In all fairness, the "off-the-shelf" graphics do save departments $$ over custom jobs, but some designs are so overused that they are old before the decals set. Thankfully, some departments in Mass. still embrace individuality and buck the all-too-predictable and increasingly boring black and white fad. Don't get me wrong, black and white is OK, I'm just tired of seeing it EVERYWHERE :D .

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.