A No-Holes approach to mounting an antenna on a 07-11 Tahoe.

WireKing

Dec 16, 2010
USA Southwest
Has anyone else tried this before. A local Sheriff's Deputy and I came up with this little trick. What do ya'll think?

Its mounted to one of the Hood latch bolts and grounded from the bottom. Radio reception and range is perfect.

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

SlickTop Solutions said:
Nice job, but you do know they make the same mount to mount a little further down the hood seam and screw into the quarter panel under the hood seam.?

Yea i know. Its right below that spot, except my customer is reusing all of their existing NMO mounts and cables, and they didnt want to pay for new ends. Believe me i asked! They love the solution we came up with,. Its not pretty but gets the job done. The 3/4" hole thats there from the factory is just too thick to mount a standard NMO head. Again i tried. Ive done 2 tahoes so far this way (2 more to go) and they love it, so im happy.

Not always good for every antenna. Most require a ground plane. Additionally, not very cost effective in terms of installation time.

EVModules said:
Not always good for every antenna. Most require a ground plane. Additionally, not very cost effective in terms of installation time.

Yeah doing it that way isn't bad but it isn't good either the more metal around your mount the better the antenna will work. Also doing it that way and in that spot your mount and the connections under the antenna are more susceptible to corrosion and all the elements. Everything may look sealed but give it time and stuff will start going wrong!!!!

WireKing said:
Yea i know. Its right below that spot, except my customer is reusing all of their existing NMO mounts and cables, and they didnt want to pay for new ends. Believe me i asked! They love the solution we came up with,. Its not pretty but gets the job done. The 3/4" hole thats there from the factory is just too thick to mount a standard NMO head. Again i tried. Ive done 2 tahoes so far this way (2 more to go) and they love it, so im happy.

If the customer is happy with it, it works, and you aren't ashamed to show it, then call it good and add it to your pic files for later customers.

Not a bad idea. Though I would have them check the bolt every so often. That gain antenna is prone to vibration and over time may loosen. the thing I would worry about it the coax gettng pinched.

Respondcode3 said:
Not a bad idea. Though I would have them check the bolt every so often. That gain antenna is prone to vibration and over time may loosen. the thing I would worry about it the coax gettng pinched.

Yea, the customer's happy, so I'm happy. I will def be checking the bolts over the next few months to see if any loosen up. The coax is not pinched in anyway I cut a notch in the plastic cover that gives the cable a path to go without pinching it.

To be clear, this is not something I would have normally done, but the sheriff here was VERY explicit with me on having only the light bar cable hole drilled.

hawkspringsfire said:
Same concept as doing this:
ai233.photobucket.com_albums_ee229_hawkspringsfire_Ford_20Escape_20Install_ford5.jpg

I would have just done it that way but there is an extra bend in the fender's sheet metal just below the hood all the way down each side. Plus the hood is too close to the fenders so the cable would have def been squished.

I have seen antennas like that many times. In Australia most cop cars have it installed like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381