A Red Unity RV-46 on an RCMP Car in New Brunswick!?

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
That's a pretty badass ride. Black and white with an old-school red beacon, gotta love it.

Was the red light on the hood just put there for extra intersection warning, like an early version of turn signal hideaways? Why is there only one on the right side and not one on the left side?

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
the original light on the hood said STOP or POLICE they were pull over lights. They would get next to the car and turn them on and the driver knew to pull over for the poilice

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Montreal police had this corner red STOP or POLICE on them for few years.

I heard it was quite good for drunk drivers not even noticing the squad car behind them...

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I'm old enough to remember when RCMP tanks were in that paint scheme.

The 'shield' logo on door was used in the late 1960s and early 1970s, and the cars were black with white front doors. I remember seeing Ford Galaxies, Plymouth Furies, and Dodge Polaras of that period.

The beacon was a red Federal Beacon Ray model 17 with the early dome.

On the passenger's side fender was the red stop light and a Federal SA24 speaker.

The siren was a Federal PA15A series 1B, 1C or 1D with the low-pitched wail and yelp tones.

The Crown Vic in the video is done up in a modernized version of that paint scheme and with more modern lighting.

ObtuseMoose

Jul 29, 2011
Wisconsin USA
nerdly_dood said:
That's a pretty badass ride. Black and white with an old-school red beacon, gotta love it.

Was the red light on the hood just put there for extra intersection warning, like an early version of turn signal hideaways? Why is there only one on the right side and not one on the left side?

I believe the right side hood light is there to help with making u-turns at freeway maintenance crossovers.

(I have often thought of adding a similar light on my work truck.)

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
There is a similar car to that used in Newfoundland...2 actually. They are being used by traffic guys as a commemerative thing...and the boys hated it. They are actually well lit with a standard slicktop package, just throwing the beacon and the STOP lamp.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
ObtuseMoose said:
I believe the right side hood light is there to help with making u-turns at freeway maintenance crossovers.
(I have often thought of adding a similar light on my work truck.)

I posted that a long time ago and have since been informed that that light was primarily used in the days when the police would pull up alongside the person they wanted to pull over and that light would be right beside them telling them to stop. Same deal with the MSP sharkfin.

Peter F

May 21, 2010
Nova Scotia , Canada
You are right , that fender light was made by Dominion auto. It had a signal stat alternating flasher in it . The stop part of the light is seperated by a small plate inside and the police word is on the bottom . It alternated up and down . and it was used for pulling alongside a vehicle and the light would flash in the sight of the driver "STOP"/"POLICE". I have one in my collection.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
I lived in Woodbridge back in the 60’s(a village just outside of Toronto) The Township of Vaughan PD had the “Stop/Police” lamps on their fenders. But they used a Federal 184 PA beacon on the roof until 72 when they changed over to the TwinSonic “F” series.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.