A tragic reminder about areas with similar addresses...

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
How do they all have different city names if they're all in "East Hampton Town"?

ParkPiggy

May 21, 2010
Northeast Ohio
Is this place in the ice ages? Do they not have dispatch systems, where a 911 call shows the address? I've seen systems that link to google earth, to show the house!!

Aside from the problems in the dispatch center, its amazing that a road with the same name through multiple towns, has the same numbers.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
There are many areas in the US where houses just have a box # on a rural route, and houses have no physical address on an un-named road. The ANI shows up at 911 as a box # mailing address which may be one of 30 mailboxes on a post out in the middle of nowhere.

In an odd quirk, there are four 419 Montauk Highways in East Hampton Town — one each in Amagansett, East Hampton, Wainscott and Montauk.

This can't be the first time there's been confusion. Whichever elected officials allowed this to continue over the years is to blame here. So stupid.

BigDogg795

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
What concerns me most is the fact that the dispatcher is going to be disciplined for what might very well be an honest mistake (selecting the wrong hamlet in the drop down)...

Another issue (IMHO), is the fact that there is a disconnect between dispatchers and 911 operators in Suffolk County. There's no failsafe that I am aware of...what is sent down, is what get's dispatched.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I found out the other day (the hard way) that a street in the town I work in has a group of address that is repeated. Meaning, I turned onto the road and got out at the 300 block, speaking to a guy who said no females were at home (call was by a female complainant). CPL comes on the air and says to go a few blocks south, he's out with the complainant. I've worked there for a year and never knew this street was numbered 300 block, 200, 100, 200, 300, 400... No North or South or anything like that, just multiple numbers.

TCO

May 21, 2010
Malvern,Pa
we have alot of that in our county as well,the thing i hate the most is some of the newer developments they will use the same street name,same 100 block just each will be court,way,alley,rd and dr. hell if we enter 125 main street in our cad we have 8 townships and or boros with the same address.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Addresses are confusing and no amount of technology can 100% eliminate these errors. It's a terrible mistake, but not cause to ruin someone's career. We have 3 river roads.... addresses that are out of order... the list goes on... a lot of these are noted in CAD, but you can't account for 100% of these things. We are all human, sometimes the public holds us to the unrealistic 100% standard.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
TCO said:
we have alot of that in our county as well,the thing i hate the most is some of the newer developments they will use the same street name,same 100 block just each will be court,way,alley,rd and dr. hell if we enter 125 main street in our cad we have 8 townships and or boros with the same address.

We have the same crap here! We have about 15 central parks alone! Cops ALWAYS show up at the wrong address!

UndercoverVLS

Jun 1, 2010
NY
Thats about an hour away from me. Technically they are all in different towns and different zip codes, so if it was dispatched to the right place it shouldn't be a problem. But the numbers on montauk highway should keep restarting, it should be one continuous run. Except where it changes names from Merrick Rd to Montauk Hwy.

I think every decent sized town in suburban America has address woes like this. In my town we have streets of the same names but different types. For example we have Ocean Ave, Ocean Ct, Ocean St, etc, etc. And a bunch of out of sequence numbers.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
i work for the power company and we run into this all the time. or were houses are hide behind other houses. lucky we can just follow the wires. and have a meter number to look up against

BigDogg795

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
UndercoverVLS said:
Thats about an hour away from me. Technically they are all in different towns and different zip codes, so if it was dispatched to the right place it shouldn't be a problem. But the numbers on montauk highway should keep restarting, it should be one continuous run. Except where it changes names from Merrick Rd to Montauk Hwy.

I think every decent sized town in suburban America has address woes like this. In my town we have streets of the same names but different types. For example we have Ocean Ave, Ocean Ct, Ocean St, etc, etc. And a bunch of out of sequence numbers.

I think one of the things that throws it off for others is we are used to it (Brookhaven Town vs Brookhaven Hamlet), whereas a town is the Town.

MATT3045

May 23, 2010
Akron Ohio area
At the FD I work for, we cover a village and a township, there are several streets with the same name. Luckily the numbering is different. Main st in the Village goes from around 800 block up to 2500 block and the Township is in the 5000's. It is not pressure on the dispatch, it puts presure on us to make sure we were paying attention to the numbers. We had guys go to the township main st once, because they did not pay attention to the numbers. The patient was in the parking lot of our old station (that we were still in at the time) right in the middle of the village.

I have to agree with John, all the technology in the world will not be perfect everytime. Where I work fulltime, we have 4 streets that when they come in on 911 from a landline, the map shows them being in other communities. These are houses in our town, but yet the mapping goes to other cities that have streets with the same name. Things can only be as accurate as whoever programs them makes them be.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.