A true electronic Martinshorn?

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
Hundreds of sirens have emulated the hi-lo tone of European sirens with varying degrees of success. Frankly I think most North American renditions are poor imitations at best. Since 1932 the Martin company has been producing the first real (and to this day, true) hi-low horn-based siren which we all colloquially refer to as the "Martinshorn".

Watching Youtube videos I stumbled across this curious response to the Bosch plant in Stuttgart. Various hi-lo sirens abound including many Martinshorns. But my ears perked up at 6:09. Link will take you directly to that timeframe.

GROSSALARM BOSCH [9 Minuten Alarmfahrten am Stück] - YouTube

The siren is coming from the lead vehicle, a minivan. It does not have a Martinshorn on the roof but the tone coming from it is nearly IDENTICAL to a true Martinshorn in pitch AND the characteristic tremolo effect. The note transitions are also too immediate to be a horn/compressor based system, so it obviously is electronic.

I've never heard a worthwhile electronic substitute for the Martinshorn until now. Someone please tell me what this is.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
That thrid vehicle that turned wwith the lead it's siren tone sounded more like something you'd find in a toy.

But I did like the leads tone though. :thumbsup:

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
A part of what I like about the Martinshorn is that it's got the briefest pause between high and low tones, that electronic counterfeit in the video doesn't so straightaway it sounds artificial. It's a better fake than the EQ2B, though.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.