A Twinsonic is calling me

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
Found this Twinsonic extremely close to my area for sale. Has a running video, clear domes, looks like amber flashers(but says it's from an old firetruck)
Has the feet, looks to be all there...$200.00.

I got stung on my past purchase so I'm making sure just what the worth is on these things.
Looking at the pics, would you all dish out 200 for this?

Would be cool to have a classic icon like that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240523-074642.png
    Screenshot_20240523-074642.png
    485.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20240523-074628.png
    Screenshot_20240523-074628.png
    316.7 KB · Views: 51

W2CK

Apr 29, 2024
Kipling, NC
Hi,

I am no expert on what anything is worth these days, but it does seem reasonable to me......

Remember, when a TwinSonic calls to you, it does it with two speakers and not just one! ;)

I only ever had one TS, and it went on a mid 70s Dodge rescue truck I got for a dollar from another department in the county when they got a new one. It came sans bar, and it looked like the one from the TV show Emergency! so I just *had* to have a TS for it.

I traded an almost new AeroDynic model 25 off my personal truck to another firefighter for his TS and then had to put money into that to bring it back from the wear and tear it had. Worth it, though. So, I do have first-hand experience with the Call of the TwinSonic..... ;)

Stan

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I can tell you this about Twinsonics. I cannot tell if the mounts are the permanent mounts or the later hook-on mounts and missing the hook portions, but mounts ain't cheap these days. Another thing to consider are the domes. Red is the most common color for Twinsonic domes, blue, amber, and clear are far less common, green ones are nearly impossible to find as they were a special order. Given that this bar is a 12X, appears to be in fairly good condition, has mounts, and if those domes are not cracked, then it's worth $400 in parts alone. If I had a place for it, I would break the speed of sound handing over my $200.

May 21, 2010
Western Montana
More than a reasonable price for the parts alone as stansdds mentions. However, as a restoration project, I'm not sure the lenses are restorable (difficult to tell from the pictures), so you'd be looking at a pretty penny to find replacements (of any color at this point). If it's just to have a neat collection piece, definitely worth it.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
From the pictures, it looks like its worth $200. Take a good look at the domes, so long as no cracks or crazing its worth it.

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
The domes look ok, have not seen it in person so can't tell if they have crazing or cracks. The base chrome strip to the left looks rough if you zoom in on it...maybe just chrome peeling off. The lenses look amberish...probably faded.

I doubt the speaker/ers are there, but would be cool if they are....I'm mean...it's a twin sonic....however I don't think they all came with twin speakers?

I dunno....worth a look since you all day it is sort of valuable.
I'll let the guy know I just want to look right now.... Cracked domes, missing parts, no speakers, bent....forget it

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Definitely worth the 200. Discoloration can be buffed out. Scratches/gouges....not so much. That would be a great bar to do a clear dome version of a CTS bar.

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
Definitely worth the 200. Discoloration can be buffed out. Scratches/gouges....not so much. That would be a great bar to do a clear dome version of a CTS bar.
From what I see in the pictures, it looks complete, domes look to have typical discoloration, name plates are good shape and there, feet are on it, the x mirrors in a 12x look to be there, it runs(saw video) had a bulb out and it doesn't look red, it looks yellow in the video, even tho he said it came from a firetruck...should be red. Maybe it is, video doesn't look it.
Also the base to the left looks to have some peeling of sorts....I'm worrying about it being gouged.

If the domes are crack and crazed free, the speaker is there and no huge Jerry rigging done to it....I'll own it.

I was never huge about twinsonic thing, but it would be cool to have a real bar that they always used in some 1980s horror flicks on cop cars, LMAO... Cough Friday the 13th cough.

TDC

Lifetime VIP Donor
Dec 4, 2012
Carswell AFB, TX
I would have bought it before Noon.
Also, you can sell any lightbar on eBay with those domes, then work out the rest later ... "throw-down domes." But, yeah, clear is cool anyway.

Those are Amber Par36 pop in rubber housing filters; easy way to change the color. The holders will work if you zip-tie them together across the top. They stick out a bit.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
The domes look ok, have not seen it in person so can't tell if they have crazing or cracks. The base chrome strip to the left looks rough if you zoom in on it...maybe just chrome peeling off. The lenses look amberish...probably faded.

I doubt the speaker/ers are there, but would be cool if they are....I'm mean...it's a twin sonic....however I don't think they all came with twin speakers?

I dunno....worth a look since you all day it is sort of valuable.
I'll let the guy know I just want to look right now.... Cracked domes, missing parts, no speakers, bent....forget it
It would be really hard for chrome to peel off of the trim strip as all of the TwinSonic's polished metal was stainless steel. I do wonder just how many Twinsonic's actually had two speakers. Most of the one's I've seen had only one and those not used on law enforcement or fire/EMS vehicles usually had none. If this one has a TS-100 speaker, the speaker alone, if it works, is $100 or more.

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
It would be really hard for chrome to peel off of the trim strip as all of the TwinSonic's polished metal was stainless steel. I do wonder just how many Twinsonic's actually had two speakers.
In the picture I have uploaded right here(zoomed in) you can see something is going on with the edge of the base plate. Looks like something is peeling or it's scraped up, comparing to other side is smooth.
I'm just going to look at it, it's close by, so.... Waiting for him to get back to me Screenshot_20240524-085654.png

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I'm betting it is whatever is also being reflected off on the speaker housing cover.

I'm betting it is whatever is also being reflected off on the speaker housing cover.
I concur, however, if it was in use in an area (East Coast?) where a lot of road salt is used, it could be the frame is corroded and distorting the stainless trim…I had a 12X that suffered this issue and the trim is nearly impossible to remove without damaging it. A personal inspection is in order and if the trim is ok (as well as the domes), then it’s well worth $200.

My $0.02.

Reactions: stansdds

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NearlyEpoint

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.