Acari Roof Top Mounting System

Spitzen88

Oct 6, 2010
USA, CT
Acari 24" DRILL-FREE mounting system.

I was recently able to get my hands on this mounting system which attaches itself to the back of a pickup truck by unscrewing the brake light on the back of the cab, clamping into that hole, and reinstalling the light on the back of the product. This is going to save me the headache of having to pay the penalties at the end of the lease for drilling holes for a light bar on the top of the cab or having to mount it on a rack frame and still have to drill holes for the wiring. The whole system ended up costing a little over $200 which is a price I am willing to pay to save myself the headache. The best part is that at the end of my lease I can take the whole system off the truck and put it on my new one while keeping the old truck looking good as new.

On a plus side, the Acari system seems to be able to work in any application whether it be mounting warning or work lights, gps units, antennas or other equipment...

The only negative aspect I can think of is that this is a new product and is only now becoming available. You might have to search for a while to be able to find it, or do what I did and call one of the reps listed on the web site. I got mine out of Rep Services based out of Parker, Colorado. Check out their website to view pictures and applications.

http://www.acariproducts.com

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Do they offer them in other finishes? I just saw a dodge ram with something similar but it was made of diamond plate.

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
JohnMarcson said:
Do they offer them in other finishes? I just saw a dodge ram with something similar but it was made of diamond plate.

Not other material, no. That was mostly likely a custom product. These are quickly catching on for contractors with leased vehicles. Detroit Water just bought dozens of them.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I guess I saw a custom job.... nice concept though!

misparkz

Oct 11, 2010
I assume it's a metal plate right? Is it aluminum? It's 24" long and how wide?

** edit**

Finally got an email back from them and see on there it's available in 24,30, 36" lengths. Anodized aluminum finish.

Spitzen88

Oct 6, 2010
USA, CT
Just wanted to let people know that I just checked out the website again and it has been completely redone with new pictures for each vehicle, videos, etc. so you can get a much better idea of how the product works and what it could be used for. Check it out!

www.acariproducts.com

Spitzen88

Oct 6, 2010
USA, CT
I just found these pictures on www.plowsite.com. I wasnt sure whether or not the ACARI system would fit if there was already a pro rack/back rack on the truck, but it looks like it fits great!

Here is the thread for those who may want to check out what they are saying about it over there. Shows a Code 3 mini bar on top.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=113534

I sent ACARI an email a week ago and they said they should have their dodge gaskets in the next 4 weeks. Apparently they have pre-sold a lot to dodge ram owners.

IMG_1318.JPG

IMG_1319.JPG

Spitzen88

Oct 6, 2010
USA, CT
Just returned from the NTEA Work Truck Show in Indianapolis, IN. I was able to snap a few pictures while I was there (one from the ACARI booth and the others from the Palfinger booth).

Was quite impressed to see an ACARI mounting platform on two different work trucks in the Palfinger booth! The Palfinger reps said they would be keeping it on their display trucks at upcoming shows. (they told me the next show they are going to, but i cant recall where it is).

IMG_20110307_160240.jpg

IMG_20110307_160325.jpg

IMG_20110307_160511.jpg

please.gif

mjw357

Jun 17, 2011
OHIO
Just got one of these put on my work truck ('07 Dodge Dakota). As much as I am trying to like it, well, I don't. The problem with it is, the front sits about an inch higher than the rear, makes the lightbar look like it's about to fall off. I may take it back to the installer to see if they can adjust it, if not I may just have them put on some perm mount feet and drill the roof.

Spitzen88

Oct 6, 2010
USA, CT
mjw357 said:
Just got one of these put on my work truck ('07 Dodge Dakota). As much as I am trying to like it, well, I don't. The problem with it is, the front sits about an inch higher than the rear, makes the lightbar look like it's about to fall off. I may take it back to the installer to see if they can adjust it, if not I may just have them put on some perm mount feet and drill the roof.

MJW,

I would be interested to see a picture if that is possible. The directions say that the mount should sit flat and all of the pictures on the website show it being flat, so I would imagine there must have been some sort of problem during installation. Did you try calling the installer? Hopefully you are able to resolve your issue and if you are I would be curious to hear what the problem was. Good luck.

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
Mine is on a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado standard cab. It appears to sit flat. My only unhappiness is that the foam seal does not totally seal the Acari to the roof.

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w120_350v8s10_2011_20Chevy_20Silverado_201500WT_204x4_DSCF0146.jpg

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w120_350v8s10_2011_20Chevy_20Silverado_201500WT_204x4_DSCF0149.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
ofd149 said:
any reports of water leaking into the cab?

I can't vouch for it's being watertight. My foam gasket does not appear to completely fill the gap between the mount and the cab.

I don't know how it will seal in a heavy rain. We are in a continuing drought condition. We have not had any appreciable rain since 2010. I wash my truck by hand and avoid spraying water directly at the Acari mount base.

Spitzen88

Oct 6, 2010
USA, CT
I can absolutely vouch for the unit being watertight. I have had my unit on my truck for almost a year now. I removed the top recently to add a work light and wanted to check the lower seal to make sure that after a year it was still watertight... I was actually pretty happy to see that there was no evidence of any water making its way into the mount.

twisted_metal

Jan 22, 2011
Toronto ON, Canada
It wouldnt be useless for a fullsize bar. you could run all your cabling out thru the Acari and use the standard mounts that drill into the door sills. thus saving drilling a hole in the roof.

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
twisted_metal said:
It wouldnt be useless for a fullsize bar. you could run all your cabling out thru the Acari and use the standard mounts that drill into the door sills. thus saving drilling a hole in the roof.

I would not expect mine to be able to support the weight of a full size bar nor would it withstand wind loadings / drag of a full size bar.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I was wondering the same thing; about mounting a full size bar on it. It could look a little odd, but if it was stable... Do you think it might cause more twisting from wind drag than the platform was designed for?

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
Spitzen88 said:
I can absolutely vouch for the unit being watertight. I have had my unit on my truck for almost a year now. I removed the top recently to add a work light and wanted to check the lower seal to make sure that after a year it was still watertight... I was actually pretty happy to see that there was no evidence of any water making its way into the mount.
Just a hunch, but you're the production and marketing manager there, aren't you? I saw your posts over on plowsite.com, every post was promoting Acari. It's a cool product, but trying to pretend to be a customer isn't cool, let it stand on its own.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
I would not mount a full bar to something that's only held to the roof by a couple tiny screws where the factory break light screws in. :no: :eek:

mjw357

Jun 17, 2011
OHIO
rwo978 said:
I would not mount a full bar to something that's only held to the roof by a couple tiny screws where the factory break light screws in. :no: :eek:
That's not how it attaches. It is held in place by a big 'tongue' for lack of a better term, that goes through the 3rd brake light hole and clamps the mount to the roof.

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
It is easier to understand the mounting system after viewing the installation video.

Here is the video:

Category B

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
mjw357 said:
That's not how it attaches. It is held in place by a big 'tongue' for lack of a better term, that goes through the 3rd brake light hole and clamps the mount to the roof.

Mmm, OK. My bad. Still don't think I'd stick a full bar up there.

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
SireLite said:
Say's not rust. I see rusty screws.

Well, I prefer to refer to the 8 high-tech fasteners (AKA: screws) as 'dual tone' = black & brown.

Yes, they are rusty.

Disappointing, as this Acari is less than 6 months old, never been in a car wash &, is operated in a dry climate (only 3" of rain since last November). I thought they were black anodized, but apparently not. Looks like some black touch-up pant is needed to enhance their appearance until I can replace them.

Even though they will not become so rusted as to become structurally unsound in my lifetime, they are unsightly. When I get the spare time to do so, I will see about replacing them with stainless steel (SS) fasteners. IMHO, SS fasteners should have been used in the original manufacturing process.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Retired1 said:
Even though they will not become so rusted as to become structurally unsound in my lifetime, they are unsightly. When I get the spare time to do so, I will see about replacing them with stainless steel (SS) fasteners. IMHO, SS fasteners should have been used in the original manufacturing process.

Agreed on the stainless steel.

Outsider

May 21, 2010
New Hampshire
rwo978 said:
Agreed on the stainless steel.

The fasteners have recently been updated to annodized ones that won't rust. DO NOT use stainless screws on aluminum! The folks at Acari Engineering will replace your rusted screws at no charge with the new ones if you contact them and ask.

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
Outsider said:
The fasteners have recently been updated to annodized ones that won't rust. DO NOT use stainless screws on aluminum! The folks at Acari Engineering will replace your rusted screws at no charge with the new ones if you contact them and ask.

We're a dealer for Acari and we've been having to replace some screw sets because of this. I couldn't believe they didn't think about that to begin with.

We DO have a 30" version of the product in our office here with a 44" Justice bar on it, and it looked great on the back of one of our trucks last month.

jrtcbmw

Jan 13, 2012
PA
Bringing this thread back. But i have been trying to do my homework on the mount before i pull the trigger on it and buy it for my plow truck. I have searched and looked all over plowsite.com and havent gotten a good answer yet.

I have been looking around, and noticed that the acari mount only list for an 06 and up super duty. I thought the cabs on the super duty were the same since 99?

Has anyone with an older super duty tried using the acari mount?

Also if you have one (prefer super duty photos, but any will do) can you post up photos of the front of the mount.

Reason i ask is because my Sirius antenna comes out my 3rd brake light housing and rest right under where the mount would be, im thinking if i get the mount, that i could just pull the wire out further so it would clear the mount but still be able to come out the third brake housing and under the mount.

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
The cabs are exatly the same. I know because I did a cab swap from a write off 2010 F350 to my project 2001 F550. It would also match up to my 2007 F450 or my 2004 F350, all the same, just different interior styling. The mount will fit 1998-2012 ford superduty and 650-750 trucks

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHarrold000

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.