Adding Halogen Flashers to Whelen Edge?

Exactly how difficult is it to add additional halogen flashers to a Whelen Edge lightbar in an empty place? What all's involved in doing this? The lightbar's on my work vehicle and it's frontal warning power is insufficient with only the two corner strobes flashing. I'm not familiar enough with these lightbars to know what series it is but I know enough about them to know it's a Whelen Edge. Below are a couple pictures of the lightbar for reference.

ai31.photobucket.com_albums_c385_rangerrick302_Apex_20Parks_20Vehicles_0614121457b.jpg

ai31.photobucket.com_albums_c385_rangerrick302_Apex_20Parks_20Vehicles_0614121457a.jpg

ai31.photobucket.com_albums_c385_rangerrick302_Apex_20Parks_20Vehicles_0704121850d.jpg

ai31.photobucket.com_albums_c385_rangerrick302_Apex_20Parks_20Vehicles_0704121757a.jpg

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
That is a 9M. It looks like there are 2 rear flashers, which means you do not need to add a flasher board since they usually support 2 sets of flashers. I would see if any one here had two halogen lamps for that bar, forget what series they are, and add them to the bar. Very easy to do. Everything on that bar is basically plug and play, so to speak. Just remove the 2 black spacers from the section you want to put the flashers, plug them in, find the trigger wire for the flasher 2nd out put, and your done.

Thanks for the information, fellas. I'll be getting up with my head supervisor first to make sure we can do this before I do anything just yet. But since he's the one who was instrumental in getting us our lightbars on our trucks I think he should be good with it.

So, three years later, we're finally getting around to adding lights to this lightbar, but we're going to add Series 400 strobes my supervisor bought; will the strobes plug into the same flasher as the halogens on the rear of the bar, or do we need a strobe-specific flasher?

Mar 23, 2015
Valley View, PA
Strobe tubes cannot be plugged into a halogen flasher. Strobes require a strobe power supply. You'll need to determine whether or not you have any unused "channels" in the built in strobe power supply. Strobe supplies usually come in 4 or 6 "channel" versions. It wouldn't bee that unusual for an older bar to have a 6 channel supply, but only have 4 used.

Thanks, TW.  Today I took the lightbar apart and found it doesn't have spare plugs for additional strobes.  Does anybody have a picture of the flasher I need, so I know what to look for and buy?  I'll also need another strobe flasher for the 9M bar on our Yamaha Rhino.

So I've fully populated the truck's lightbar with strobes, but I can only get two power supplies to work at a time. Before I put the 3rd P.S. in ("Strobe C" on flasher board), I had the original (4 corner strobes; "Strobe A"), and a 2nd one I put in (2 front and 2 rear inboard strobes; "Strobe B"), and 2 rear-facing, halogen flasher lights. With the slider switch in Position 1, the 4 corner strobes came on; Position 2, 4 corner strobes, plus 4 inboard strobes (2 front, 2 rear); Position 3, 4 corner strobes, 4 inboard strobes, and 2 rear halogen flashers.

Now that I've added a 3rd strobe power supply, I only have 2 power supplies working at a time. I know the 3rd P.S. works, because it powers on its strobes when I move it from Strobe C to Strobe B or A, and when I move the original power supply for the corner strobes to Strobe C, they won't come on. I've checked all the fuses on the flasher board, and I found an apparently unused 2-pin plug with one wire in it, and plugged it into the 2-pin slot under Strobe B, but get the same results.

Last edited:
Yep. I was able to figure the problem out by pulling the rubber flooring up, and comparing the lightbar and switch box wires with their wiring diagrams to see where what was plugged into what, and found that the Strobe C wire wasn't connected to anything.

The only thing I can't figure out now is how to get the takedowns to wig-wag, and alley lights to flash. I consulted the lightbar's wiring diagram, and gave power straight from the truck's battery to the wires that the wiring diagram mentioned, but still got nothing. I can only assume it has something to do with the A, B, and AUX 2-pin connectors on the diagram you posted above. Any thoughts?

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
There are several wires in the control harness that runs up behind the switch box. Green is front corners grin/wht next inboard and grn/blk would be the next inboard pair up front. Same in the rear with blue, blue/wht and blu/blk. Tie all the blue wires together and all the green together. Then connect to the outputs on the switch box. Blue first position gives you rear strobes then green on output 2 adds front...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.