Aiming Dash Lights

Fenn

May 28, 2010
Ocean County, NJ
I'm using a Whelen dual Talon in my 2008 Silverado mounted on the top of the windshield on the passenger side of the RVM. I like the position of the light but it seems because of the windshield angle it aims up a bit so if your in front of the truck your not getting the full effect of the light but the trees are. I can angle it down with the bracket but then its not against the windshield and you get the rattling noise.

I had a piece air hose that i wasn't using so i cut it down the center and put some black loom on it and put it on the front of the shroud to space it down some. It did ok but its still not down enough.

anyone have any other ideas to install on the front of the shroud to adjust it down some more?

evanf3

May 24, 2010
BBurg, VA
The airhose sound like a good idea or I have used electrical tape or something similar. With a truck your higher then cars on the road so you definitely want the light angled just a tad.

triton911bj

May 24, 2010
Springville, PA
dont mean to sound spedish, but which way do you have the bracket mounted? suction cup or no? i have noticed that some people have placed the talons with the middle suction cup up instead of the front in the middle of the heads. this helps for ajusting the angle down. i have a piece of rubber thats used to protect sharp edges ect on the shroud, mounted tight to the windshield and have no bouncing issues.

duno if this helps. post a pic if you can. this will help a bit

BJ

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
My rule of thumb with dash lights is the following:

Cars: Mount the light eigher above or right below the RVM so get the best results.

Trucks: Mount the light on the bottom of the windshild right on or about the dash.

Since trucks are so much higher, having the light at the bottom of the dash lets you shoot it straight out at traffic...

This is just my rule though, not everyone will agree or like it...

triton911bj

May 24, 2010
Springville, PA
agree with my partner there on that. also after seeing the pics, move it (the talon) back further on the screw mounts on the suction mount. this will help with angling it down more.

Fenn

May 28, 2010
Ocean County, NJ
TritonBoulder47 said:
My rule of thumb with dash lights is the following:

Cars: Mount the light eigher above or right below the RVM so get the best results.

Trucks: Mount the light on the bottom of the windshild right on or about the dash.

Since trucks are so much higher, having the light at the bottom of the dash lets you shoot it straight out at traffic...

This is just my rule though, not everyone will agree or like it...

I had it originally mounted on the dash but just didn't like the look of it. I'd rather keep the dash clean. I do have xt6's in the grille also.

triton911bj said:
agree with my partner there on that. also after seeing the pics, move it (the talon) back further on the screw mounts on the suction mount. this will help with angling it down more.

i tried that but moving it back on the mounts takes it off the windshield and then i get a rattle from it.

I'm gonna hit lowes and see if i can find a thicker hose to put on the end or i was thinking about taking the suction cups off and mounting it with 3m mounting tape.

someone else has gotta run into this issue before with all the tahoe's and sierra / silverado's out there

TNFF412N

May 22, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
you need to get the headliner bracket for it. The suction cups will only give you so much stability. I have 2 talons mounted on my headliner and they dont rattle at all. I have a little flash back but i have never been bothered buy it, its like a 1/16 inch gap

Fenn

May 28, 2010
Ocean County, NJ
TNFF412N said:
you need to get the headliner bracket for it. The suction cups will only give you so much stability. I have 2 talons mounted on my headliner and they dont rattle at all. I have a little flash back but i have never been bothered buy it, its like a 1/16 inch gap

not really eager to drill into the headliner

think i'm just gonna take the suction cups off and put 3m mounting tape on the bracket

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
I have an 07 SIlverado Z71. Use the 3M tape. Works like a charm, slide the Talon all the way forward and up. The shield fits nice and smug against the windshield, no flash back. And the tape keeps the light rigid, no bouncing like it does with the suction cups.

Been there almost 4 years, through the worst heat and cold we've had, no problems. I like the dark gray tape, to me looks better from the outside than the white tape.

Bob

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
I have a Chevy Astro Van and mounted mine under the RVM using the 3M locking fastener tape (like the stuff they use for electronic toll passes) mounted to the windshield. Hasn't moved in years, and I was able to get it aimed perfectly and flat against the windshield.

I had to mount it under the RVM as there is not enough room above it. It sits high enough to throw some serious light across traffic, and low enough to be seen in the mirrors of the cars directly in front of me.

TCO

May 21, 2010
Malvern,Pa
use the clear dual lock tape,it is strong enough to hold the d4 i have to the top of my windshield with no movement so i know it will hold a talon no problem and it will do away with the rattle. flip the bracket so the lip fits up under the headliner and take off the flash shield,you can closer to mounting it over the rvm and closer to the windshield compared to using the suction cups. if it helps alot of radio shacks stopepd selling the clear and only sell the black,dont waste your money,they sell the 3m dual lock at giant of all places for about $3.50 for 4 strips.

Tom

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
Fenn said:
not really eager to drill into the headliner

think i'm just gonna take the suction cups off and put 3m mounting tape on the bracket

The headliner bracket doesn't even require drilling. Most just fit over the existing screw holes for the headliner "console" or for the sunvisor mounts.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.