Alternative Power Source

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
So guys, has anyone tried to power their blinkies via a power source that isn't the main car battery?

The reason I ask is that my pos SUV hasn't been playing nice with my lights, especially in some of this cold weather we've been having. Between the blinkies, the wigwags, the wipers, the radio and the defroster, it's just way to much for my electrical system to handle. I've thought about going in and trying rewire it and such, but seeing that it is a pos and I want a new car, I rather save the couple grand I'd spend on fixing it to put towards a new ride.

So guys, have you tried powering your lights by other means?

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
Irsh42 said:
So guys, has anyone tried to power their blinkies via a power source that isn't the main car battery?

The reason I ask is that my pos SUV hasn't been playing nice with my lights, especially in some of this cold weather we've been having. Between the blinkies, the wigwags, the wipers, the radio and the defroster, it's just way to much for my electrical system to handle. I've thought about going in and trying rewire it and such, but seeing that it is a pos and I want a new car, I rather save the couple grand I'd spend on fixing it to put towards a new ride.

So guys, have you tried powering your lights by other means?

Are you referring to other means of getting electricity (like solar panels on the roof), or just having a "jumper pack" with a cigar plug on it?

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
Hoser said:
What lights are you talking about? Little more info would be great.[/quote_]

Whelen dual talon, two rear single talons and a wigwag switch. Currently the talons are ran through the cig lighter. However, even while just using the wigwags, it has issues with keeping full power to the headlights and other electronics.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
Irsh42 said:
More so a "jumper pack"/secondary battery type of deal.

Secondary battery is not that huge of a deal, based on what I've seen on the board history. Just get the second battery, and attach it to the first with appropriate sized wiring. I don't know how it would interact with alternators, and ignition, so be sure to ask someone a bit more professional than a username on a screen.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
You will need a bigger alternator if your are already having electical issues with that little of draw from the minimal lights you have. If you are adding a second battery you need a battery isolator.

Apr 12, 2012
NC / TN / CT / SD
2nd battery is a great option but first what suv is it?

wig wags and normal radios shouldnt be to much for any with a good alternator and a good battery

year make mod?

many of the older trucks had options for alternators so that could be ur best / first option

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
it could be a sign that the current battery/alternator you have now could be getting ready to go out.

go to a local car parts emporium and have them tested.

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
CovertLights.com said:
2nd battery is a great option but first what suv is it?
wig wags and normal radios shouldnt be to much for any with a good alternator and a good battery

year make mod?

many of the older trucks had options for alternators so that could be ur best / first option

It is a 1998 Honda Passport.

I was having alternator problems earlier in the year, so I took it to the shop and they replaced it, but even after that I still had problems.

I've ran her hard over the years, so I'm not shocked shes starting to give

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
MESDA6 said:
Found some info on Edmunds.com that indicates the grounds on the Passport tend to corrode and need to be fixed. Look in this forum posting part of the way down the page, one of the users made a list of the grounds that they cleaned up to eliminate problems similar to yours. Might be a cheaper fix than buying a jump pack or secondary battery.

Honda Passport Electrical Problems - Car Forums - Edmunds

Yes... it was a common thing on the isuzu rodeo/honda passport. That charging system (when functional) shoud have no issue handling the draw from your emergency equipment. I was an assistant service manager at a ford, hyundai, mazda, and isuzu dealership for 7 years before becoming a leo :)

Abacus

May 24, 2010
Sydney Australia
A heavy duty alternator / "police pack alternator" and a quality battery will be what you need. Also look at upgrading renewing the battery leads and connectors as over time they do need replacing.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevieandrew

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.