Another 1970's Dietz Light saved

diggerdug.517

Sep 20, 2010
Michigan
In the 1970's, I am told Dietz Corporation would build up any of their units to your specifications. Here is one example I had to save. I purchased the speaker base, and after receiving it could'nt tell exactly what light had been on it as the mounting holes would fit any Dietz light I put on it. Confused, I e-mailed the seller and asked if he had any idea what was on it, and not only did he know, he had the original light !! After receiving the light, I went to work !! The Dietz base and the Dietz light base, retaining clamp, and dome are all original to the unit. The strobe light itself was long gone, so I modified the interior and added a Whelen double flash strobe. The re-chrome on the light came out better than I thought it would as it was in bad shape. The speaker was also long gone so after making some changes, used a Federal interior base and added a 58 watt speaker. This was the final result. Thanks to John Marcson, Ryan Shanower, and Joe Dorgan for helping with this project.

dietz splt 001.JPG

dietz splt 012.JPG

dietz splt 013.JPG

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Well told... well restored. I saw the thread title and was hoping this was "my light".

I bought the light and base years ago on ebay with no pictures thinking it was a PA5200 based on the description. The light was very DOA and looked like it had been in a junk yard. I sold the light for a very small amount "as is / non working" a few months later. The buyer got it and demanded a refund. I agreed if he paid shipping. The light arrived back in two boxes a week apart (no clue). Years later I listed the base on here when I listed a few other cheap to ship lights and parts. As stated, OP contacted me and wanted to know more about the base and I just offered him the light. I hadn't figured it wouldn't be worth shipping, but I have to admit looking at it now I am impressed. It's an unusual setup and I'm a sucker for those, but it's also done very nicely.

I'm so glad it's off my barn floor and where it belongs.

May 21, 2010
Wilkes-Barre, Pa
Great job, Doug, as always. another unique light. That blue strobe would go well with my Red and Amber Dietz and Sginal Stat strobes of the same type, tho I do not have to cool speaker base!

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
patrol530 said:
I always wanted one of those, because of the FHP historical value.
ai25.photobucket.com_albums_c66_patrol530_FHP_Truck_Accident_1_1.jpg

not my pic, observe the watermark, and give credit, where credit is due.

Lots of nice beacons in that photo!! :cool: :cool:

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
diggerdug.517 said:
In the 1970's, I am told Dietz Corporation would build up any of their units to your specifications. Here is one example I had to save. I purchased the speaker base, and after receiving it could'nt tell exactly what light had been on it as the mounting holes would fit any Dietz light I put on it. Confused, I e-mailed the seller and asked if he had any idea what was on it, and not only did he know, he had the original light !! After receiving the light, I went to work !! The Dietz base and the Dietz light base, retaining clamp, and dome are all original to the unit. The strobe light itself was long gone, so I modified the interior and added a Whelen double flash strobe. The re-chrome on the light came out better than I thought it would as it was in bad shape. The speaker was also long gone so after making some changes, used a Federal interior base and added a 58 watt speaker. This was the final result. Thanks to John Marcson, Ryan Shanower, and Joe Dorgan for helping with this project.

I hope she has a twin sister!! :thumbsup: :p

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cmoore77

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.